New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2012
    For those in Lipa, Batangas, Rosario or San Juan area... Recommended shop for starter repair located in Rosario Batangas.

See link below for google map link

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=13.84...num=1&t=m&z=18

I just had mine cleaned, replaced the carbon brush and repaired the starter solenoid all done in less than 1 and 30 minutes. Mabilis tumira si Manong Will recommend only for starter repair nag iisa lang naman yan na electrical shop dyan sa link sa map

2. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    I was gonna say "push start it.." like I used to do a number of times with my 626 when the starter was giving problems.. then I noticed it's an auto tranny.

I'd put my money on ungreased/corroded planetary gearbox in the nose of the starter, and/or the starter solenoid. Another possibility is the brushes are worn out: whacking the starter would cause a good connection for a time so the motor can crank over.

If it's just a recondition job (clean it, change brushes, regrease planetary gearbox) should not cost more than 1000. Where are you located?

edit: my 626's starter failed twice during a very short span of time. First after the September typhoon because I drove through flooded streets and it filled up with mud; and second a month later because one of the brushes was totally worn out.

What I learned is that, the starter is a very simple piece of machinery. On the 626 at least, it is attached to the engine by only two bolts and is very easy to remove. I could actually recondition a (626/Kia Sportage) starter myself, now that I've seen it done twice.

You can probably get some shade-tree mechanic from the local talyer to remove your starter. Then hand-carry it to your favorite electrical shop and let them have at it. Here near our house there's an electrical shop which does a lot of A/C and cooling fan work. I had them fix my starter. They used jeepney starter brushes because that's what they had: they just ground down the jeepney starter brushes on a bench grinder so they'd fit in the 626 starter. No problems so far..
    My starter failed this time the electrical shop just welded my armature though its working im donot feel at ease. how long will it last. Is it a proper thing they do? or need to get a new armature? Please advise. TIA

3. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_d View Post
    Taga paranaque po ako, sa may bicutan/better living area, cguro sa monday ikot ikot ako dito malapit sa amin, if you know any shops nearby pa advise na lang po, thanks, nahihirapan lang kasi ako tangalin yun starter kasi ang sikip nung location nya sa ilalim nung distributor...

dami mga auto shop jan paranaque area, bf, better living, moonwalk, caa, lopez dami mga autoshop jan area nyo bro. pero kung may time ka punta ka evangelista sa makati, look for mel papa likod ng phoenix gas station sila. para sa akin da best na mekaniko yan, pero kung may suki ka naman iba mekaniko pa tsek modin sa kanila in your most convenient way..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by povillo View Post
    My starter failed this time the electrical shop just welded my armature though its working im donot feel at ease. how long will it last. Is it a proper thing they do? or need to get a new armature? Please advise. TIA
    about the only thing fixable there by melting metal, is the heavy copper winding and connections. done right, it should last "long". how long? you'd probably had forgotten all about it before it fails again, if ever it does..
    done wrong, it'll melt and you'll have to push-start your car (MT, right?), which isn't usually difficult. but if you're an AT, then you're in trouble...
    don't worry too much. just enjoy your car.

if you want to test it, run your starter for a "longer" time and see if it fails.
    good luck.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Thanks Dr. D, Another thing. Would repacking or greasing the three gears would need the whole starter removed? or one can apply the grease without removing/uninstalling the starter from where it is originally installed? TIA

6. Join Date
    Feb 2017
    How about po kung nastuck po yung susi? Hindi naman nakalock yung manibela ko. Tsambahan siya kung gagana e, minsan mas okay pa nga yung pinakopya kong susi.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
starter problem