New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    i noticed that when i apply the brakes (half pressed) i here a kalatok sound... parang may sirang bearing sa may disc brake when i had it checked wala naman moving parts sa under chasis that could produce the sound except for the CV joint that gives me a single kalatok sound when i rotate the wheels.. sabi mechanic normal lang daw yun... play lang ng cv joint... totoo ba ito... i'm thinking the brake pads needs replacing pero nung check namin makapal pa naman...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a bearing going bad will produce a humming sound (ugong). if you hear a "kalatok" grabe na yan, may durog na ang bulitas ( hindi yun nasa isip ninyo ah) yan. you are right when you say a bad CV joint will produce a knocking sound when turning. i had an experience once with my corolla, same "tok" sound when braking. turns out that it has a loose nut somewhere in the fender area. sana ganito lang ang sa iyo.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Router,

I had the same experience before. Iba naman yung katatok ng CV joint, iba naman yung sa brake eh, u can identify the difference.

In my case, maluwag yung brake pad hole ng DISC brake ko sa unahan (moving part kase yun or tawag dun eh Floating caliper) where you put the pad (pinapasok mo kase iyun sa parang ROD guide or Pad-Retaining Pin and it just hangs there). So when a brake pedal is half pressed (or actually slight pressed lang) eh the DISC tends to move the pad a bit, tatama ngayon sa pinaka guide niya. It produces a sound, na akala mo delikado when you are driving the car or hearing it from the inside, pero actually eh play lang yun nung maluwag na DISC Brake. My mechanic never found out what the problem was, ako lang naka discover nito, ginawa ko eh I let someone drive the car very slowly and half press the pedal habang pinakikingan ko yun mga gulong to find which part was making that sound. After finding that out, nilagyan ko lang ng some sort of a sim, pinalibot ko dun sa pin to become a bushing , I cut out from a copper film sheets, para lang wala siyang play.

Yung experience mo ba eh kapag lower speed ka lang? Check mo na din yun caliper assembly mismo, kase baka yun ang maluwag eh, hindi ko kase matandaan exactly yun nangyari sa akain matagal na kase yun ten years na ata. Pero I am definite its the DISC BRAKE Assmebly lang and it was very to fix.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    guys thanks for the quick reply... ako na nga lang siguro ang mag ch-check baka nga yung brake pads maluwag lang (*sana po*) hirap na kasi pag malaki sira... minsan *KALATOK = GASTOS* kakalungkot... my car is a an old 91' honda civic hatchback and the kalatok is just one of my many problems... isa sa mga nakakairita eh yung pag squeak squeak ng interior... post ko nalang siguro sa ibang thread hehehehe thanks po uli...;)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by router
    i noticed that when i apply the brakes (half pressed) i here a kalatok sound... parang may sirang bearing sa may disc brake when i had it checked wala naman moving parts sa under chasis that could produce the sound except for the CV joint that gives me a single kalatok sound when i rotate the wheels.. sabi mechanic normal lang daw yun... play lang ng cv joint... totoo ba ito... i'm thinking the brake pads needs replacing pero nung check namin makapal pa naman...
    Sounds like a problem somewhere in your suspension and not from the CV joint. I've recently replaced my car's CV joint and the sound that comes from it is a "tok-tok-tok" whenever you are driving around a curve or taking a turn. Check for worn out rubber bushings, those usually are the culprits as how you described your problem.

kalatok sa cv joint?