New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What does a release bearing do? I brought my Nissan Escapade to the casa for pms and they told me they heard something and it's time to replace the release bearing. The catch is they want to replace the whole clutch assembly kit with the release bearing. Can I just replace the release bearing and not the whole clutch assembly (they estimated the clutch assembly kit at 20k)? Minor repair lang ba ang replacement ng release bearing? How do I really know the release bearing has to be replaced ( dahil sabi lang nila may narinig sila which is not a good enough reason for me)?

Thank you, workshop gurus, for your expected inputs.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What's the mileage of your Nissan Escapade? The release bearing could be due for replacement if you hear a sound (grinding or ringing sound usually) when the clutch is not pressed down. Usually when the clutch assembly has to be brought down to change one of the parts (release bearing, clutch disk and pressure plate) the recommendation is to change everything already as the labor just covers one item for all three parts and if your car is already high mileage and the clutch is worn then perhaps you can change it all already. But if your car is still low mileage and/or you've racked mostly highway mileage (where your clutch isnt that stressed out) then you can just change the bearing.

The casa will charge high for labor and stuff. You may want to canvass around at other shops then just use original parts (from the CASA or a Nissan auto supply).

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    it is not necessarily automatic to change the pressure plate, disc when you change the release bearing. stay away from the casa, there are always good mechanics around. you may change the lining of your clutch disc. there are shops who do this. as for the pressure plate, you can repair it. it simply needs a machine shop which specializes on this kind of job. as for the release bearing, dont settle for anything less, buy the genuine parts always. best thing is, there are repair shops which only caters to transmission repairs. look for one in your area.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    you have to pull down the tranny to replace the bearing kaya they suggest lahat na. if you have no problem shifting or do not hear the noise no need to do it.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kung minor noise lang wag mo na muna papalitan. Di naman sirain ang release bearing. It gets noisy with age but it usually last longer than any of the clutch system parts.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sliding na po ba ang clutch?
    If not, hintayin niyo na para isang trabaho na lang.
    Did you complain sa casa of the chatter noise?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    pull down of transmission is a very big job ... and casa's price will be expensive ....

i think you should replace all the clutch all together especially pag release bearing ang sira kasi pag tumutunog dahil sa release bearing ibig sabihin yan yung pressure plate mo may tama na ... kaya umuingay yan ... and better to replace it all para isang labor na lahat

siguro yung clip mo sa release brg nasira kaya maingay ....

any more question pm nalang

BANAWE AUTO SUPPLY

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. Maaasahan talaga kayo. Actually, I don't hear any sound kaya ako nagtatanong. The van's mileage is 68,000 km and mostly used for bringing kids to school which is 10 mins. away from home. Pag-ipunan ko na muna.

Do you have genuine Nissan parts for Escapade, banawe? Will source na lang from you if cheaper than casa.

Maraming salamat po muli.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    try mo muna outside casa medyo mahal talaga maningil ang casa! last na pa-service ko sa casa inabot ng 24K plus considering na replace timing belt lang and brake pads ng disc brake. i dont think aabutin ng 20 K yan kung sa labas mo papaservice. just get a reputable shop to do the work. ask around your area, it helps to canvass around. for sure maraming parts yan since abundant ang nissan escapade dito sa pilipinas

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    actually no need to do anything if you don't feel any difference/noise. pabayaan mo nalang till you really have to pull down the tranny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
release bearing