New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    i have a bmw 1989 5series with M20 2.5L inline 6 RWD
    Problem is the engine is overheating if i don't put water every 3 days.
    Mahina pa ang hatak.

i brought it to european motors and they diagnosed it.
    the result is the engine has to be overhauled and the cylinder head has to be replaced. the price is too expensive.

Now i am currently finding a surplus engine. But to no luck in finding a good surplus engine.

I am also considering an engine swap even with a different brand of engine.
    Because its my last alternative if i don't find a surplus engine of bmw. Considering it because the new engines are easier to maintain and consumes fuel much less than the original and the newer engines has more power too.

any advice wood really help and if possibly where and how much will it cost???

looking for Bmw engines M20 or higher for a much efficient fuel consumption.
    looking for other engine make that will fit my car.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    May nabibiling surplus BMW ba dito?

Mag-M50 ka kung meron kapatid...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    umm . . . i suggest having it diagnosed at another place for a second opinion - if not casa, try autosport beside prestige bmw. naji, the owner is very well rounded with engines and has lots of connections with regrads to parts . . . he even does tune ups for rare cars; so bmw should not be a problem

as for a swap, i don't recommend swapping it with another car engine

for one, your dme will not recognize the engine anymore - therefore, some important sensors may not be functionable anymore

besides, its a bmw . . . the fact that you are determined to keep the car instead of selling it due to its condition shows your personal liking towards it

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Overheating has nothing to do with engine overhauling.Run away and look for good,honest shop. You might have a problem with your radiator or water pump if you're loosing water.In case of the engine do a compression test before doing an overhaul/swap.Buy haynes manual for your car and learn it yourself.Don't be fooled.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Try Top Gear in Aurora Blvd. Do you mind telling us how much is everything going to cost? You might want to consider selling the car as is then just buy a new one. A friend of mine had his dme soaked with water and just decided to sell the car to bmw libis instead of spending 100k to fix everything.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Baka sobrang warped na cylinder head kaya kailangan i-overhaul...

Why not scout for an engine sa ibang country (ebay) and arrange for shipment, baka mas makamura ka... One of our customers did that when he needed to change the block of his E39 525, he saved more than 50% compared to pagawa dito.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I typed "BMW ENGINE" sa ebay... Click here

wink wink

ZOOM

or Vrrooom

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    AFAIK

sealed & pressurized ang cooling system ng BMW 5-Series... why are you putting in water every three days? did you get a cooling system leak before then overheated the engine causing damages to your cylinder head.

9. FrankDrebin Guest
    Sell the car.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    ok, i will get a second opinion from the shops you guys recommended.

the previous owner of this car probably did not take care of the cooling system therefore the cylinder head might have been warped..?

The quotation from European motors in libis estimated up to 224000, all part change from pistons to almost everything. machine shop. cylinder head SURPLUS not included.

They showed me the result of the compression test and some of the cylinders aint reaching above 6, if i remember correctly i think 2 of them then the other is above 7.

The quotation came from their old files, it was a record from the previous owner. Now i am the one dealing with the dilemma.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please take time to read. need help. [BMW problem]