New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi.

A funny thing happened to me when I shifted from M/T (RAV-4) to A/T (Forester) - my right leg started hurting!

I think it's got something to do with seating position because each car has different ergonomics, so to speak. Even the pedals (accelerator and brake) have an effect I think.

I started adjusting the height of the seat, as well as the recline but the pain persisted. So I adjusted the seat so I'm closer to the steering wheel and my upper leg (almost to the knee) is supported by the seat. The pain is starting to fade, thank goodness. Nadismaya nga ako kanina because I forgot to tell the car wash boys not to adjust the driver's seat when they vacuum. Lagot na naman 'to bukas

Ano ba talaga ideal driving position? I used to think dapat almost stretched fully ang right leg (only slight bending when you press the pedals). Tama ba yun? Is there such a thing as correct seating position or does it depend on the driver?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    depende sa driver yan seating position. ung iba sobrang stretch at recline ung tipong parang nakahiga na.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Correct seating position is the foundation of all driving and it's even more important if you're racing or competing.

1. Make sure that your buttocks are firmly wedged in the crevice between the seat back and the seat squab. Adjust the seat back angle until you are seated straight and have your bottom in the prescribed position.

2. Slide the seat backward, then extend your arms over the steering wheel. You should be able to place your wrists above the steering wheel without reaching over or bending forward from the seat back. When you transition your hands over to the 9-and-3-o'-clock position, your arms will have a slight bend to them. This is important - you want maximum leverage on the steering wheel in order to perform quick corrections.

3. Make sure that your feet have enough leverage as well. You should be able to depress the clutch and brake pedals to the floorboard and still have a slight bend to your knee.

4. Never, ever, ever use the inside of the steering wheel to turn. Use the outer rim. Why? It's harder to make corrections mid-turn if you use the inside of the steering wheel.

EVERYTHING about what I shared in this post is about having maximum leverage - and it starts with your hips and back being situated in the correct position on the seat. The more leverage your limbs have, the more control you have on the car, the less effort needed, and the more comfort you will have driving. Hope this helps

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by April_Ryan View Post
    Hi.

A funny thing happened to me when I shifted from M/T (RAV-4) to A/T (Forester) - my right leg started hurting!

I think it's got something to do with seating position because each car has different ergonomics, so to speak. Even the pedals (accelerator and brake) have an effect I think.

I started adjusting the height of the seat, as well as the recline but the pain persisted. So I adjusted the seat so I'm closer to the steering wheel and my upper leg (almost to the knee) is supported by the seat. The pain is starting to fade, thank goodness.
    The failing of so many stock car seats is that their seat squabs are just too damn short. This is exactly the reason why I swapped out my Jazz's stock seats for Recaros.

If the seat squab is too short, and you have long thighs and legs, your knee will inevitably be left without any support. On longer drives this will be painful. This is usually evident if the seat itself is set rather high.

If you have height adjustment on the seat, set it as low as it can go. Lowering the seat height forces your whole leg to a more horizontal position, which is easier on your thigh and knee and allows you more leverage on the pedals.

Case in point: I used to drive an old 1999 SX8 Honda City, which is based on the 1988-1991 EF Honda Civic. The seating position on that car is very low, with your legs almost parallel to the floor. It's very comfortable even on long drives despite the small seat and short seat squab. When your legs are closer to parallel to the floorpan, thigh and knee support stop mattering as much.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by April_Ryan View Post
    Hi.

I started adjusting the height of the seat, as well as the recline but the pain persisted. So I adjusted the seat so I'm closer to the steering wheel and my upper leg (almost to the knee) is supported by the seat. The pain is starting to fade, thank goodness. Nadismaya nga ako kanina because I forgot to tell the car wash boys not to adjust the driver's seat when they vacuum. Lagot na naman 'to bukas

Ano ba talaga ideal driving position? I used to think dapat almost stretched fully ang right leg (only slight bending when you press the pedals). Tama ba yun? Is there such a thing as correct seating position or does it depend on the driver?

Ilang taon mo na ba Bro?

Ok yung sinabi ni Type_100, pero sa #1 mas prepared ko na naka-inclined yung sandalan (somewhere in 75-85degrees) lalo na pag long drive. Because of inclination, nale-lessen yung weight na dinadala sa gawing hip/waist natin.

Since sa leg ang problema mo, dapat nakalapat yung buong legs mo sa upuan.

^very helpful, thanks. Will take these into account when I adjust seats tomorrow.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    almost the same thing happened to me too when i began driving cars w/ automatic trannies after a lifetime of traversing around w/ stick shifts. the difference though is that in my experience it would be my left leg which would go numb or fall asleep (aka ngawit) because of its apparent inactivity. eventually though, i guess i just grew accustomed to motoring about w/ only my right leg doing the work

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    it could be driver health condition. we don't get younger and better physically after a certain age. it might be the position you slept the night before. maybe you need to see a chiropractor, he might be able to help. explore the possibilities, after all, it might not be the car that has a problem, it might be the car-driver match.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Type100 brought up a number of good advice. But about setting the seat height to the lowest setting, I think that it may not be for everyone and can be a problem with most short drivers, even with the backrest set to almost vertical. I'd adjust it as low as I can possibly tolerate, or without losing too much front visibility.

I'd also want to add that most steering wheels are adjustable in both angle and distance relative to the driver. If this feature is available, use it. However, it should be adjusted last using the wrist-on-the-wheel method, not the other way around.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Drive like PUJ drivers yun halos naka side na yun katawan...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast