New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Guys, this may be a stupid question for some of you, but I just want to know the difference. I have a hand-me-down Revo and I'm not sure if the timing belt has been changed. The mileage is more than 100,000km and I have no idea. I know I had it serviced before because the fan belt (at least that's what I know it's called) was changed.

Please enlighted this newbie here. Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Timing belt - part of an internal combustion engine that controls the timing of the engine's valves. Such belts are used for power transmission or to interchange rotary motion and linear motion, where either high loads or maintaining a specific drive ratio are important.

Fan belt - the traditional term for what today is called a drive belt. Drive belts are made of reinforced, high-tensile strength cords and synthetic rubber. Drive belts provide power to engine-mounted accessories like the power steering pump, air conditioning compressor, mechanical cooling fan and air injection pump.

timing belt-nasaloob ng cover, nakapalupot sa valve-cam gear and shaft, crank gear and shaft,oil pump and injector pump(kung old diesel) etc..pinapalitan every 60-100 thousand kms

fanbelt-nakikita mo..usually, main pulley, alternator...(at kung meron) aircon, powersteering, supercharger..pinapalitan kung may cracks and kung masyado na maluwag...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    you're right,BOGEYMAN

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    fan belt - if it breaks, you're screwed

timing belt - if it breaks, your double screwed

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    mas mainam kung timing chain ang gamit mo kaysa timing belt, usually u can use d timing belt until 100k miles b4 changing but 4 safety change when u reach 60k miles

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by e36bmw
    mas mainam kung timing chain ang gamit mo kaysa timing belt
    i agree...belts are more susceptble to slippage at mas matibay ang mga chain kesa belt...pero...sa pagkakaalam ko, maiingay ang mga cars na equipped with timing chains at bihira na ang mga cars na gumagamit nito...tama ba?

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Timing Belts:
    -nasa loob ng engine
    -nakaconnect sa gears
    -flat na belt pero toothed belt

Fan Belts:-nasa labas ng engine
    -nakaconnect sa Pulley
    -V-shape sia or V-belts
    pero may design din na may parang toothed belt or V ribbed belts yata iyon

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    BTW, on newer front wheel drive cars, it's more accurate to call fan belts accessory belts, because they power the accessories and are not directly connected to the fan.

And no, you're not screwed if a fan belt gives way, you just have to get to the service station before your car overheats (water pump won't turn) or your battery dies (no alternator). Of course, this all depends on which belt breaks, because many modern economy cars have two belts, if the belt that breaks only connects to the AC and power steering... you'll live.

But if your timing belt goes, yes, you are screwed...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you're more screwed when the timing belt snaps, then you try to start your car several times....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Newbie here: What is the difference between a timing belt and a fan belt?