New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    edited out
    Last edited by jasonub; April 3rd, 2005 at 12:36 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm still very doubtful about using and extending the oil intervals beyond what the manufacturers recommend due to experiences I've had before on cars that i have serviced for friends and family (accord, Cefiro, and a Sentra in this case... these cars all had change oil recommendations of every 5,000km).

The Accord used mineral oil and wasn't changed regularly (usually anywhere between 8K to 10K) and what happened at the 90,000km mark? Loss of oil pressure and a lot of sludge.

We tried using synth oil on a Cefiro and extended the drain to 10,000km just to find out how it looked like after, when we drained it, we had a dirty oil slick with really bad oil.

On the Sentra, noise and sludge developed with extended drains on synth oil (Mobil 1) but cleaning it all out cured the problem.

Of the cars that you serviced, what we're the actual recommended change oil intervals of the manufacturers? If you extended the oil change beyond what was recommended, did you still change the oil filter at least? What we're the useages of the cars (seems like they we're high end cars so thus, they may not be used or abused as much as an ordinary Jap sedan). The only cars we didnt change oil at 5K was our old BMW and the Opel of my boss as the manufacurers recommended 10K service only on the service manual... the new Hondas are also similar as well.
    Last edited by vinj; April 1st, 2005 at 09:37 AM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    edit
    Last edited by jasonub; April 3rd, 2005 at 12:37 AM.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Sobrang thick naman nung 20w-50,mahihirapan kang magistart sa umaga kapag ganyang kalapot ang oil na ga2mitin mo.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruSti
    Sobrang thick naman nung 20w-50,mahihirapan kang magistart sa umaga kapag ganyang kalapot ang oil na ga2mitin mo.
    Dre, oil at that range should not affect your vehicle's starting. If its hard starting in the morning there are a lot of factors that will cause it and oil is not one of them. unless its sludge.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niwde11
    san ka nakakuha nyan? mura ah.
    For Conoco oils- check Autosport service centers, in either 20th ave, cubao or soliven ave, antipolo.
    Just checked prices, the Conoco Super J 15w40 was P400/ 4L and P115/L.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    WHat property of oil represent ng API rating ito ba ang viscousity? Kung viscousity ano mas malapot SL or SG? Kasi what is written sa manual is use oil API SG or SJ. Maybe during printing ng manual wala pang SL noon? Bakit kaya naging masmaganda ang SL? pls give more info..

8. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    im still a bit hazy about oil viscocity... i know "w" is for winter grade (tama ba?) pero how do i distinguish which is thicker or thinner? & since wer on a tropical climate, do i need to choose one w/ a lower figure sa winter grade?i usually use 20w50 mineral to be on the safe side. can someone please enlighten me? thanks.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I am also not a believer of extending oil drain intervals. The oil can withstand it with no problem. It will not break down or lose lubricity. But the problem is the oil gets saturated with impurities already and cannot hold any more. So the impurities end up 'outside' the oil and in contact with the engine components. You will have a hard time differentiating saturated from non-saturated oil simply by eyeballing it. I took up science during my pre-med years and had access to laboratories and image enhancing equipment.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Last edited by jasonub; April 3rd, 2005 at 12:38 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Motor Oil