New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    When starting the engine, is it normal for the malfunction illuminator lamp to stay on for more than 20 seconds before turning off? hindi naman na umiilaw pag nag start at umaandar na. i asked casa service personnel and he said normal lang daw, what do you think? the car's a b-new 1.8 manual honda civic

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I guess as long as it doesn't turn on WHILE the engine is running then it's fine.

but it's best to ask other service personnel (from another branch).

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang alam kong naiiwan na umiilaw sa mga honda when you start it sa umaga is the engine logo pero this simply means that the car engine is NOT YET in the proper operating temperature.

check the car manual...it is written there (I think).

the honda I saw na ganyan is a CITY na modelo (kasabayan ng series ng civic mo).

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    all the hondas na i drove, when you switch the ignition to on, the light stays on for exactly 3 seconds and goes off... but when you start it na wala pa 3 seconds, it goes off when the engine starts

5. Join Date
    May 2006
    if you're sure it takes 20 sec to extinguish the MIL then it's not normal.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ i agree ... 20 seconds is too long and actually indicates a problem ... unfortunately, as usual for casa, they will avoid working on a car for as long as it is still in running condition ... i'll bet that if the problem isn't fixed soon, it will develop into a "down" car and you would need to have the car towed to the casa

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    yeah 20 sec is too long after you've started the engine.

more than 20 seconds before MIL turns off