New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Hi guys, im just new here, just acquired my new lancer pizza 97' EL a month ago

My odo just hit the 65T km reading last week, so i decided to change my engine oil na, the truth is, i dont know anything about engine oils! so i ask some friends and they told me to use a fully synthethic oil coz my car is a bit old na daw.. so i just went into a handyman shop and bought a fully synthethic motor oil, Castrol Formula RS 10w50 to be exact.. i got it at 2.3K

problem ko lang, after the change, parang umingay yung makina during idling.. dati naman tahimik.. tapos during the ride, parang ang bigat ng andar at medyo "thick" ung feeling.. napansin ko rin medyo bumaba ung speed..

did i do something wrong? kung meron man reversible pa ba damage? baka tuluyan nang masira car ko.. ano ba dapat kong gawin? pls help!!! :praning: :praning:

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    There's a thread somewhere here about changing to Synthetic immediately without any prep is a bad idea... Search mo na lang... Something about carbon deposit build up or oil seals breaking...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    You'd have to be careful when you shift from mineral to fully synthetic. First thing to watch out for is leaks - synthetics have a tendency to find its way out of old (non-synthetic supplied engines) - usually sa mga oil seals.

If I were in your place just stick to the manufacturers recommended engine oil grade/spec. Look it up in the owners manual. With our climate, you'd be safe with a 20w50 grade mineral oil. Just change it every 5k km.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Walker
    problem ko lang, after the change, parang umingay yung makina during idling.. dati naman tahimik.. tapos during the ride, parang ang bigat ng andar at medyo "thick" ung feeling.. napansin ko rin medyo bumaba ung speed..
    IMO the oil you put in might be a little too thick. Tama sila, check your manual for the proper oil viscosity. Also check for leaks, if you continue to experience problems, you might have to drain your oil and put in a "thinner" oil.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ouch...2.3K With the age of your ride, a 20W-50 regular mineral oil might be better the next time around. Try to observe it for some time first... during your next oil change you might want to do a full engine flush (try using Caltex flushing oil or some cheap car oil rather than those quickie engine flushes). If you open the engine up, try to have the mechanic check for sludging.

Since you just got the car, try to do the following:
    - compression test
    - tune up
    - change the transmission fluid, brake fluid, and coolant.
    - adjust the valve tappets
    - check the ignition timing
    - have the timing belt checked as well (if this has not been changed, you might want to get a new one just to be safe).
    - overhaul the carb and adjust the settings to spec.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    thanks for all ur replies guys..

the_wildthing, paj4x4, ILuvDetailing:

I really wished i had stick to the manufacturers recommended oil, unfortunately i dont have a car manual, the first owner had lost it in some way.. thats why i was forced to ask around.. but not enough though.. i should have asked you guys here in tsikot before i made the decision, tsk.. tsk..

vinj:

it really is a big ouch for me.. to think that i dont get the performance i expected from the change..

as for the other stuff below:
    Since you just got the car, try to do the following:
    - compression test -
    - ill have it check this weekend..
    - tune up - will a tune up include all the other stuff in here?
    - change the transmission fluid, brake fluid, and coolant. - these stuff i have already done..
    - adjust the valve tappets - how do i do this?
    - check the ignition timing - how do i do this? or would i be better off with a mechanic?
    - have the timing belt checked as well (if this has not been changed, you might want to get a new one just to be safe). - i just had my timing belts replaced two weeks ago, that's when i had my bushings replaced..
    - overhaul the carb and adjust the settings to spec. - how do i go about this?

thnks for all the help bro, this really is a great site...

BTW, as of now, mukhang palala na talaga performance ng engine ko, pag cold start, namamatay ung makina after starting, parang kinakapos, i need to rev it right after i started it para di mamatay, and during the first few meters parang kumakadyot ung car.. ung feeling nya pag umaandar e parang ang lapot ng rev ko.. and talagang napansin ko humina hataw and pag diniinan ko ung gas, mas maingay ung makina as before i changed oil.. oks ba ung 10w50 combi? i heard from other threads here na mataas daw ung viscosity ng 10w50.. im thinking of having it change to a lower viscosity.. if i do, will it do any harm on my machine? on the gaskets?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like it is not your oil. Did the trouble start after you had the timing belt replaced? Baka naman wala sa timing.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    consult mo na mekaniko mo... meron ako ma-reco kung gusto mo. pm mo na lang ako bro.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by baiskee
    consult mo na mekaniko mo... meron ako ma-reco kung gusto mo. pm mo na lang ako bro.
    Right. You're better off na patingnan sa mapagkakatiwalaang mekaniko. Sabihin mo lang na kaka-acquire mo lang... kumbaga MAJOR tuneup. Mas malaki gastos pero buti na yun kesa sa mas malaking gastos later or worst.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Ganyan yata talaga yang mga pizza pie na EL na yan. Kailangan medyo i warm up ng mga 5 mins bago paandarin pag matagal ng di nagamit, say overnight. Pa check mo rin ang timing belt kung nasa tamang pwesto. Minsan kse nawawala sa tamang marker nya, tawag nila "talon".
    Para isang gastusin ka nalang, tutal 65k na ang odo mo, magpalit kana ng timing belt,t.bearing,camshaft and crankshaft oil seal. Iaadjust na nila rin ang valve tappets, iaayos na rin ang timing, magpalit kana ng air filter, fuel filter. Check na rin kung ok ang mga hi-tension wire, rotor at distributor. Baka after ng mga yan umayos na auto mo. I PM moko pag me iba ka pang concern regarding sa lancer mo kse 99 lancer ang isa kong auto kya medyo alam ko na mga ilang problema nyan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
I need Help from the experts!!