New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    any guys here who owns hoda cars had problems with their front shocks after a change oil using a lifter?

had a friend whose civic and crv had shocks broken after putting the car on a lifter during oil change, also heard about it sa other honda owners. symptoms is the front suspension lowers and hardens, when you put out the shock it is stuck. this due to the extension of the shocks daw and damages it. Honda owners beware lang so that it will save you costly front shock replacement.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    havent experience this before.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it could happen but not if the shocks are in good condition. kung malapit na masira, lifting them could make them give way.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    it won't happen if no mistake in lifting technique.i think there's something wrong on how to place the lifter under your car.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quite a long shot since lifters are anchored on the lifting jackpoints or the lower suspension arms. In addition, your shocks carry 2-3x of the car's weight everytime it hits a bump so I don't see how a slow moving lifter can damage a shock directly. Even if the lifter did "slip" it will damage the undercarriage and not the shock itself.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    well i gues what happened to two of his hondas and a lot of hondas in the casa are unique. btw the lifters used are the types that the suspension is drooped or full extended, and honda even made a memo to be careful of this as there are a lot of complaints from owners, just a precaution to honda owners na mag pa change oil and might suffer the same problem.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    I haven't experienced it yet though my civic is now has 76K mileage on it. Anyway, thanks and will watch the shell mechanic do the lifting.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    never happened on my civic esi ... but then i always watch whenever my car is lifted to make sure nothing untoward happens and i do specifically watch the suspension members or anything under the car getting some stress from lifting but it never happened ... and i take the opportunity to inspect the car from underneath for possible problems, things like oil (pan) leak, cv rubber boots, bushings, rock dents, fuel lines, brake lines, etc. ... the habit saved me from a bigger damage on my cv-joints when i discovered the rubber boots needs replacement

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    read about that sa HCP forums. Usually nangyayari yan sa mga 4-5 yr old Hondas na kung kelan luma na rin yung shocks malapit na masira.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    encountered a somewhat similar situation some years back. had the tires of our '98 accord vti-s rotated sa servitek, so it was loaded sa lifter.

it was a preparation for a long trip the same day, and napansin namin during the trip na naging sobrang matagtag nung front right wheel, parang may nakasangat. wala namang noticeable mula sa labas kung titingnan mo lang yung stance nung kotse. naisip namin na baka may naiwang basahan or tools nung inayos, pero wala naman, talagang parang "solid" na and walang suspension dun sa front right. wala naman kaming magawa nun kasi nasa biyahe nga, so we decided to take it easy na lang and patingnan na lang sa servitek ulit pagbalik.

during the return trip, the ride eventually returned to normal. binalik namin sa servitek to have it looked at and wala namang nakita. nabanggit din nung technician na madalas ngang mangyari sa honda yon, ang sabi niya para raw na-hyper extend nga yung shocks and hindi agad nakakabalik sa dati.
    Last edited by corbon44; April 18th, 2005 at 06:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
honda change oil prob.