New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    lakas ng gas consumption 500 a day plus tolgate 55.00, baka dahil a/t siya and hindi manual.
    sa friend ko 93 gli din city nya is 7-8km/L, hway niya nag 10km/L daw
    1++,+++km na reading niya.

ako kasi manda alabang munwalk laspinas then manda 200 a day lang siyempre diesel kasi yon via southexpressway daan ko kasama na trapk

pero sayo laki ng consumo

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    piston rings..

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    RE: judging fuel consumption: Instead of judging by how far you go on the money, find out exactly how many kilometers you can go for the amount of gas you're using.

500 php? What gas? Unleaded? Premium Unleaded? or boutique (V-Power, Blaze) Unleaded? What price? With lower grades of unleaded, that's 13.5+ liters, with higher grades, 12.5.

If it's 13 liters, alabang to makati and back is roughly 50 kms. "Almost" empty could mean you're using anywhere from 8-10 liters. Roughly 5-6 km/l? Better make sure.

But considering part of that is on the highway, there's definitely something wrong.

----

Pull the Bosch sparkplugs and check their condition. If they're a few months old, they should be reddish in color. Have a shop check your compression and check for leaks. Like m_ron suggested, you could be leaking oil through your piston rings, or oil and/or coolant into the combustion chamber through a busted gasket.

If the car doesn't feel like it's losing power, then the problem might be minor... but if it really is a leaking gasket, don't wait too long before having it fixed...

Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    Aside from the Optra, is there any other car model whose ECU can be flashed to improve FC?
    According to rumor on the PTP boards, the JDM/Mazdaspeed ECU for the 323/Familia (96+) has a better timing/fuel map, resulting in more power and better fuel consumption. It's an ECU swap, though, not a re-program... and suwertihan nalang makahanap.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erickdpogi View Post
    * mbeige, the tire pressures are checked everytime it is used. driving habit, normal; load in trunk is minimal; use of AC always in the center for both the thermostat and fan.

Recently, even though it's newly changed oil, white smoke is coming out of the exhaust when started. why is this so?

am using Bosch Super4 sparkplugs and shell helix semi-synthetic as oil.

Thanks for the replies!
    Give us a definite figure of your MPG, tire pressures and current mileage. Mahirap ang tantsahan, even if you check them everyday.

If you're concerned of white smoke at start up, it may just be condensation as water in the exhaust is being burned. If the white smoke persists when driving with a warmed up engine, you better start checking for headgasket problems.

For the 4AFE engine, blue smoke at start up and when driving is usually indicative of valve stem seals.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Merry Xmas to everyone!

Thanks for replies, going to the prob, my uncle who's a mechanic helped me assess the prob, since there were no indications of leaks outside, when he checked the engine, he told me, the engine need Top Overhaul.

How much is that for an engine? prices for b/new parts like valve seals, piston rings and stuff? also, there is an indication that there are misfires of the sparkplugs or rather there is oil on the places where the plugs are placed.

Anyone knows a quote on the prices? thank you very much for the replies again!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Merry Xmas to everyone and thanks for those replies!

Anyway, going back to the problem of my car, an uncle of mine dropped in to help me assess the problem, although there were no signs of external leaks, he told me that the engine need Top Overhaul, it may be so for these cases:

1. slot 2 and 4 for the spark plugs (from the right) have oil leaks. It was also checked if the wires leading to the plugs have currents, they do.

2. the engine oil depletes rapidly (since changed oil a few months ago), and mixtures of water and oil were found at the exhaust.

3. later, at the lower part of the exhaust manifold w/c is attached to the engine , there was a bit of oil buildup at the right bottom side.

4. He also noticed that the torque-y feeling when you go up was missing now.

5. He even told me that there might be some loss of pressure inside (i dunno what that was).

He recommended to me to go Top Overhaul and have it fixed asap. He just came back from the states so we don't know how much that would cost.

Estimates? cost? anyone know a shop that is reliable, trustworthy and is considerate on the prices of the parts?

a friend of mine told me that it would cost around 10-20k depending on the condition.

How much are the parts? anybody knows where i can get good parts? ^_^

Thanks again for the replies and happy holidays!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    you don't need top overhaul,have your piston and piston rings checked.check appropriate clearance.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If there's oil on the sparkplugs, then there might be something there.

10-20k sounds about right. Just cross your fingers that you don't need your cylinder head re-faced.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    looks like you have to crack open the engine na nga to see what the problem is.

My suggestion is to remove the cylinder head then check the head gasket as to where the oil was coming from. Was seeping through the gasket area? Through the valve guides/seals? Or through the cylinder walls (busted piston ring/bore)?

You should have your answers then.

HTH!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Gas consumption too much for my corolla