New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Good day to all tsikoteers!

I'd like to ask if there is a possibility that i'll manage to save gas by having my car's ECU reprogrammed similar to be the Optra gas consumption.

My car is old but is still in good condition, its a 94 toyota corolla GLi with 4A-FE engine, but recently, i've come to notice that my gas consumption is way too much for me.

I've also come to notice that the consumption changed from july this year.

Spark plugs, change oil, timing belts even engine oil treatments, ive done last month but nonetheless, the consumption didn't change.

Is there a need to check the engine? Do I need overhaul?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    corollas can't be flashd like the optra.

have the engine checked kung bakit malakas sya.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Aside from the Optra, is there any other car model whose ECU can be flashed to improve FC?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erickdpogi View Post
    Good day to all tsikoteers!

I'd like to ask if there is a possibility that i'll manage to save gas by having my car's ECU reprogrammed similar to be the Optra gas consumption.

My car is old but is still in good condition, its a 94 toyota corolla GLi with 4A-FE engine, but recently, i've come to notice that my gas consumption is way too much for me.

I've also come to notice that the consumption changed from july this year.

Spark plugs, change oil, timing belts even engine oil treatments, ive done last month but nonetheless, the consumption didn't change.

Is there a need to check the engine? Do I need overhaul?

Thanks.
    94 corolla 4a-fe engine and in good condition,that means well maintain and it running smooth,,before you do the engine overhaul check first the tire pressure then the 4 way alignment,align it if kailangan,...and after that,have somebody to check the ignition timing,because incorrect ignition timing can cause a poor fuel economy and only that,poor fuel economy can be cause by a wide range of problem and some of these include rich air-fuel mixture,engine miss,or leakeage in the fuel system,but like i said check first the ignition timing.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Check the obvious first - tire pressures, excess load in trunk, driving habit, use of AC, etc.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    * mbeige, the tire pressures are checked everytime it is used. driving habit, normal; load in trunk is minimal; use of AC always in the center for both the thermostat and fan.

Recently, even though it's newly changed oil, white smoke is coming out of the exhaust when started. why is this so?

am using Bosch Super4 sparkplugs and shell helix semi-synthetic as oil.

Thanks for the replies!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erickdpogi View Post
    * mbeige, the tire pressures are checked everytime it is used. driving habit, normal; load in trunk is minimal; use of AC always in the center for both the thermostat and fan.

Recently, even though it's newly changed oil, white smoke is coming out of the exhaust when started. why is this so?

am using Bosch Super4 sparkplugs and shell helix semi-synthetic as oil.

Thanks for the replies!

Pre,,,
    ilang Kms/liter ba consumption mo...?

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    My rough estimate is 500php back and forth from alabang (filinvest) then going to makati cbd and back to alabang. almost empty tank. That is taking the slex at 80-90 kmh at 5th gear. while inside the city, most probably 40-60 kmh only while shifting at 2800-3000 rpm w/c is recommended for economic driving. Also, my car is manual. A/C is turned off during the test, so most probably itll go lower than expected.

am still puzzled.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Yung white smoke ba tuwing umaga lang to? AFAIK normal ata un because of the moisture na naipon overnight. Pero after a few minutes dapat mawala din.

Try shifting at or before 2K rpm. Eto ata mas economical. Of course, taking into consideration yung daan (kung paahon or what).

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I dont know if it's on early morning startups only, but when i go on reverse, white smoke is noticeable.

what do you think is the prob.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Gas consumption too much for my corolla