New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think its a clogged radiator.
    A stuck open thermostat will not give a higher temp than normal. It gives a lower temp than normal.
    The fan can also be a culprit but it is unlikely since you say that it is turning.
    I think its cheaper to clean a radiator that replace a fan. Elimination process.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Kung stuck open thermostat temp reading should be lower than normal and not the other way.
    If your thermoswitch is new and the fan is turning i doubt if that is the problem.
    Low oil level can also lead to overheating. How is your oil level?
    All factors considered i would go for a cleaning of the radiator.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    The behavior may be different for different vehicles. My experience before was almost the same as his. Car had no thermostat, radiator was fine, thermoswitch for the radiator fan was fine.

From a cold start and just idling, the temp does rise, medyo matagal nga lang. At a little above 1/2, the thermoswitch activates the fan until it goes a little below 1/2. Cycle continues.

If the car's running, the temp would never go past 1/4. The faster water circulation and constant airflow through the radiator would keep the temp cool.

When I installed a thermostat, temp would rise quickly to 1/2 and stay there.

this might be an OT:

can an erratic temp. guage sensor will cause your car not to start lalo na kung nababad sa hot sun? pero pag binuhusan mo na ng cold water yung sensor, ayun 1 click na....

mostly lalo na kung electronically controlled engine ang may ganitong malfunction kaya?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    The behavior may be different for different vehicles. My experience before was almost the same as his. Car had no thermostat, radiator was fine, thermoswitch for the radiator fan was fine.

From a cold start and just idling, the temp does rise, medyo matagal nga lang. At a little above 1/2, the thermoswitch activates the fan until it goes a little below 1/2. Cycle continues.

If the car's running, the temp would never go past 1/4. The faster water circulation and constant airflow through the radiator would keep the temp cool.

When I installed a thermostat, temp would rise quickly to 1/2 and stay there.
    I see. So a good question to Userfriendly is if he has a thermostat?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I'm thinking that it might be bec of:
    1. stuck open or partially open thermostat
    2. clogged or dirty radiator
    3. fans are not spinning at correct speed

Which is most likely? And how can you tell if the fans is spinning at the correct speed? I see it spinning and can feel the air but have no idea how strong it should be. This car has 2 speed settings, low fan and high fan.

I also called 2 dealerships and explained the prob. The 1st said that as long as the guage does not go to 3/4 I'm ok. Normal lang daw. The 2nd dealer said bring it in cause it might lead to overheating. Sino kaya ang tama?
    it could be all three.

why don't you have your radiator checked and cleaned (if necessary) first. afterwards observe if the temp still goes low at high speeds and goes high at traffic. if this is the case either your thermostat is stuck open or you don't have a thermostat installed. last are the fans itself.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    alam ko in some cases mitsus will have starting problems related to the temp sensor. haven't heard it in other cars tho...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks to all of your replies.

I have a thermostat. Brought the car to Dallas for Lavramon (tama ba spelling) their mechanic was honest enough to say that he can't do it.

Used the car yesterday (very hot day) on multiple short trips. Temp guage was normal all day. Even at 1pm at Edsa, mix of stop and go and fast runs, temp was fine. It stayed a little above 1/4. I'll continue to observe for now. Hope it stays ok.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
erratic temp guage