New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Guy opinons pls. My temp guage has been going up and down. Yesterday, it was normal just above 1/4 while driving at speed sa SLEX. Upon hitting bumper to bumper traffic at Alabang flyover, it went to a shade below 1/2. It stayed there for a while. Went down again when I was able to speed up. Up again in traffic.

Upon reaching Merlco Ave, it was almost 1/2 (stop and go traffic). Stop at the traffic light there, went down again to above 1/4. This kept repeating until I got home. So basically its cool when the road is clear but creeps up during traffic.

About a month ago, I had the car serviced at the dealer for overheating problems. They fixed a loose wire. Also, my thermoswitch is new. Coolant (prestone premixed) level is ok, serpentine belt looks fine and does not seem to be loose.

Can this be a sign of something wrong or am I just being paranoid?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    baka di totally fixed yung loose wire.
    ganyan din kasi problema ko... maluwag lang yung connection sa thermostat.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think its normal. Your temp sensor is doing its job. From a fast stint to a bumber to bumber the water pump slows down circulation which in effect lessens its ability dessipate heat in the radiator fins to the air by virtue of convection.

When you stop an engine there is such thing as afterboil because the pump stops circulating even if the engine is still hot. Somewhat this explain the reading in your gauge.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    I think its normal. Your temp sensor is doing its job. From a fast stint to a bumber to bumber the water pump slows down circulation which in effect lessens its ability dessipate heat in the radiator fins to the air by virtue of convection.

When you stop an engine there is such thing as afterboil because the pump stops circulating even if the engine is still hot. Somewhat this explain the reading in your gauge.
    Pls clarify di ko naget yung "When you stop an engine there is such thing as afterboil because the pump stops circulating even if the engine is still hot"
    The engine is still idling so dapat naikot pa rin yung pump diba? Although at a slower rate.

Also, how fast should the temp guage react? I was in Dona Hemady yesterday (part of the same trip as the 1st post) beside the old Magnolia factory temp was near 1/2. Upon reaching the corner of 8th street and Hemady, guage has already gone down.

Last Tues, temp went up to just a shade above 1/2. I pulled over and poped the hood, everything checked out ok and the temp returned to normal. Did not think much of it at the time. Related kaya ito?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Afterboil occurs when you turn off the engine(no idle). I was trying to explain fast, slow, no circulation of the water pump in relation to temp. I am sorry for the confusion.

Let me try to diagnose further?

Before you serviced your car for overheating how high did your gauge reach? Did the engine shut down because of overheating?
    Last edited by 4JGtootsie; June 30th, 2007 at 07:16 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Afterboil occurs when you turn off the engine(no idle). I was trying to explain fast, slow, no circulation of the water pump in relation to temp. I am sorry for the confusion.

Let me try to diagnose further?

Before you serviced your car for overheating how high did your gauge reach? Did the engine shut down because of overheating?
    The guage almost reached 3/4 but was not yet in the red zone. Did not shut down the engine. What I did was bring it to a gas station, by this time it was already going down but still above 1/2. They poured water on the front of the radiator infront of the fans, engine idling. Metal part with the fins, not the plastic top. Temp immediately went to normal and was able to drive home normally.

BTW, the stealership said the wire that they soldered was loosening when it heated up and prevented the fans from turning. Thing is, I distinctly remember the fans turning at high speed in the gas station. Could it be that its the low speed that wasn't working? Anyway, after they fixed it, all was well for about a month.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    When was the last time you checked the coolant level?
    May bawas ba?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    This reminds me, before having it serviced (may 2 pala), the driver needed to add coolant about once or twice a month. I replaced the rad cap and had it pressure tested (last week of April), no leaks naman. About 2 weeks ago, nagdagdag yung driver namin. Did not see how much he added.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think you have a minute leak either in the clamps or the minor water tubes. Since you have added coolant additive, its color will show you the leak. maliit lang pero water escapes in the form of steam.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yun din ang inisip ko dati, kaya nagpapressure test ako. Hindi bumaba yung pressure sa guage during the test. Wala rin akong nakikitang discoloration sa clamps or hoses.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
erratic temp guage