New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    yup. may napanaood akong demo dati. supra yata... nilubog yung filter sa tubig...

Hindi ba nasira or something yung sasakyan?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It won't. If there's an alternate entry point for air, the engine won't vacuum up water through the CAI. In a sealed system, like, for example, the stock intake of a Nissan Sentra or a Chevrolet Optra, once the main intake tube (very low on these two cars) goes under, the engine vacuums up a ton of water... and that will kill your engine. I'm sure a lot of ex-owners who've lost their engines to floods (lots of dead Optras in Malaysia/Indonesia... count me in as an ex-Sentra owner) wish that the stock system had a bypass.

In the case of a CAI with the bypass, moisture and small droplets of water come in, but they will only be burned off in combustion, and the engine gets some moisture out of the air anyway, that's why you have water coming out of the muffler sometimes.

Of course, the bypass will only work until it gets submerged itself, so you still have to be careful.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    sir niky.. ano po bah talaga advantages ng cold air intake? nka simota ako pero binalik ko stock wla nmang difference.. uhmmmm..

help!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    For a typical 1.6 to 2.0 car.

If you replace the filter only but use the stock filter box, you can't expect more than 1-2 hp. (K&N original replacement, expensive)

If you replace the filter box with a cone filter (like Simota), you can expect gains of up to 3 hp, K&N's flow very well, and gains may be up to 4-5, depending on how bad the stock system is.

If you replace the filter box and intake tube with a cold air intake (tube extends into the bumper or fender, air filter sits there), you can expect maybe 5hp-7hp increase. (depends on the filter head)

Now, here's the fun part:

If you use a cone filter but put it where the stock filter was, you will lose anywhere between 2-3 hp when it's hot out. Simply because it's not getting any cold air. The stock system has the advantage here because it draws cold air from the corner of the engine bay or from behind the grill.

If that cone filter is a cheaper brand, like Simota... the gains may even be outweighed by the power loss due to heat. In other words, you won't feel any difference in power.

A heat shield helps a little, but even this doesn't do much when it's scorching hot outside.

And given that your power gain may be only -1hp to 1hp, depending on the weather, you won't notice it at all. In cold weather, you might feel a full 3hp if you're lucky.

If it's a cold air intake, you will feel the gains all the time. The upshot is that an aftermarket cold air intake will always have a colder intake charge than the stock cold air intake. The danger here is that the aftermarket intake is vulnerable to floods, as discussed, and if it's metal tubed, it's still vulnerable to heat soak.

Ganoon lang yun. If you don't feel any gains, then the gains are small (1-3 hp) and you really won't notice them. A noticeable gain (for most people) is about 5-8 hp.

For many modern vehicles, the intake tract and stock air filter are very good, and you won't see any appreciable gains in power until you fiddle with the exhaust. But if you decide to get a full exhaust, including headers, the power loss on hot days also becomes more pronounced, unless you get a heat shield or thermal wrap for that, too.
    Last edited by niky; August 5th, 2006 at 12:03 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    colder air means denser air. denser air means more fuel combustion equating to more power.

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    If you replace the filter box with a cone filter (like Simota), you can expect gains of up to 3 hp, K&N's flow very well, and gains may be up to 4-5, depending on how bad the stock system is.
    Are you refering to a short RAM?

NMPI did a dyno with a NISMO exhaust and claimed a 15 HP gain (X-trail), with stock intake and headers. Totoo kaya 'to? Don't ask how much, mahal hehehe
    Last edited by ILuvDetailing; August 5th, 2006 at 12:31 PM.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup. Short ram.

I'm skeptical of the 15 hp increase. Does that mean 10whp on the dyno? from just replacing the stock filter? And where on the power curve is it? Midrange? (that can't be top-end)

Take it this way... Most 2.0 engines will see a 15whp (20bhp) increase total at the top end from a short ram intake, headers, midpipe and tambutso (hehehe). It's nearly impossible to get that much from just a short ram.

In fact, the complaint of many aftermarket vendors in the US is that new Nissan engines are hard to get power out of. Case in point, the 350Z. This is a shtonking big 3.5 liter V6. Guess how much power you get from an air intake?

C'mon, do the math and guess. If a 140 hp car can get 5 from a short-ram... 3.5% or so... then a 280 hp engine should get 10 hp, right? Wrong. It gets the same 5 hp. Nissan's new engines and their assorted plumbing are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by niky
    I'm skeptical of the 15 hp increase. Does that mean 10whp on the dyno? from just replacing the stock filter? And where on the power curve is it? Midrange? (that can't be top-end)
    Sorry, I meant a 15HP gain from the Exhaust alone (not a full exhaust, tambutso lang.), stock headers and intake. I'm kinda skeptical about this claim, but the guy I talked to said that they did a dyno run with the stock exhaust and a nismo exhaust.

Nismo products are pretty darn expensive.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^just the can? 15 hp? i call bullshit.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    He said Exhaust, Headers, Intake. Now that's more believeable, especially considering it's a 2.5. I think you could do better with different aftermarket headers, but I'm not sure products made for the Sentra version of the engine will fit the X-Trail.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Cold Air Intake