New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it really depends on how long you take to reach 10k kms. if it's less than a year, then full syn oil will be ok and there will be no detrimental effects to using it.

no need to replace the oil filter every 5k kms either assuming it's a decent brand.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Brought my '07 civic to casa for 1000 km check-up this weekend. The service advisor said that even if the new civic uses mineral oil, the next change oil should be after 10,000 kms. Is this true for the new civic?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Oil change will always depend on the external driving conditions. If you are using a turbo charged car or always driving on dusty roads you should change your oil more often. Oil filters should always be replaced (regardless of brand) when changing oil mineral or synthetic because that is where all the dirt is trapped. Imagine spending 2,500/gal synthetic oil and using the old dirty oil filter. Its like taking a bath and wearing the old soiled stinky clothes after. Air filters should also be replaced at regular intervals because the dirt that passes the air filter reaches the oil that rubs against the cylinder wall.

IMO if you love your car don't scrimp on oil and filters. This applies to all vehicles old, new, diesel or gas.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    But also don't fall for the salesman's salestalk that you are 'scrimping' when you only use the manufacturer recommended oil grade instead of the Php2,500/gal synthetic they sell. :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I have been using Redline synthetic oil for the past 9 yrs and they don't have any salesmen that I know of. Prices have risen through the years and I get my supply directly from the importer Superior Motors. My '98 v6 pajero has 150k+ on the clock and has never been overhauled. I used this vehicle for pulling my jetski/atv trailer from 98-01 every weekend and occationally some suv's that get stuck in the sand including expedition's because they used street tires. 4 stroke synthetic Redline all the way but their 2 stroke sucks. Maxima castor 927 for 2 strokes. The pajero is still with me.
    Last edited by Si 06; July 30th, 2007 at 06:06 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mineral, change oil filter every other oil change, 4-5Tkm intervals.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    My take is if you're gonna keep you're car for a long time, about 7 to ten years or so, then synthetics is the way to go. I have an 89 galant ss and used mobil 1 since 60k kms, and the engine note sitll sounds high pitch(matining pa rin) change oil and filter every 5k kms and idles very smoothly still. No overhaul yet.

Also it's worth the investment if you drive your car hard always

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    mineral based multi-grade type and filter every 6 mos. with less than 4K kms.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    mineral base oil (highest grade or one that meet my cars specs) every 5k kms.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    for the fd civic, most of the people i know replaced the oil right after the 2-3000 km mark or when the engine was fully broken in. after replacing it with full syn 5w30 oil they said the milage improved...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Change Synthetic Oil after 10k vs Change Regular Oil after 5k