New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Which do you think is better and why? For me, I don't get why people using synthetic oil tends to change it every 10k. Is it because of the claim that you don't need to change until you hit 10k? Kasi diba, once you start/use the engine there's already wear and tear in it? Pieces of metal, dirt etc.. are inside the engine and if you're going to wait for 10k diba ang tagal pa nung mga dumi na naka deposit at patuloy na umiikot sa loob ng engine?

I'm not saying sythetics are bad, it's just that I'm having doubts about its 10k interval claim.

What do you think guys? Discuss!

2. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    AFAIK - though a change oil, say every 10T km, is recommended when using synths, you are still required to change your filter every, say every 5T km, which is where the dirt are supposed to be trapped and stay (and hopefully won't recirculate as speculated).hth

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    nasa personal preference mo na lang yan.. if you have the extra money - why not... (go full synthetic).. I have a friend who change his CAR's oil every 5K with full synthetic.

ako, I tried doing that 10K with synthetic kaso after my 5K interval, ang dumi na ng oil even if I changed the oil filter. Ayun, after 1 month, I changed the oil again, yun nga lang mineral oil na uli.. I prefered yung 5K interval (mineral) vs. 10K interval (synthetic)

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    considering costs and the need to change the filter by 5k kms, i would still go for the regular oil change using mineral at 5k.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    same here... I have my oil & filter changed every 5000km

6. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    same here... I have my oil & filter changed every 5000km
    +1
    Moreover, I use the cheapest brand of oil within the specs recommended by the owners manual. For me, it's more cost effective and my engines love it.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Extending the drain interval when changing over from mineral to synths is a popular form of misinformation. Ang nagpapakalat nito ay ang mga marketing arm at dealers ng synthetic fluids to justify the added cost to the consumer. No offense meant, may kakilala din akong may mga talyer. Pero that's the only way they can push synths on vehicles that run on mineral based. If they said all the other benefits (yes there are other real benefits) but still prompted an oil change at the manufacturer's interval, hindi din bibilhin.

It's not the breakdown of the oil that requires you to drain it, it's the amount of suspended debris that is in the oil. Most of which are too small to be caught by the oil filter and by oil's inherent chemical structure become suspended in the oil.

Personally, I just use a good mineral based oil (one that meets or exceeds my vehicle's need) and change it at the manufacturer's recommended interval (5,000kms in my case). Bakit pa ko magtiya-tiyaga with old oil in my engine? Mas ok yung parating fresh. :D

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    makes sense to me. hehe. kaya ako, regular intervals pa rin and as long as it meets my vehicles prescribed oil spec din. reminds me of an oil company's slogan which goes something like..."refresh your engine" or something. memory gap... hehe

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    mineral oil every 5k kms for me, pasok sa budget eh. pero if ever i can afford synthetic oils, i'd still change it every 5k kms.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Castrol Magnatec ako. I change oil every 7.5 kms before, but now balik siguro ako to the 5k km interval. When I had my T-belts replaced at Speedyfix 2 weeks ago, binuksan nila yung valve cover. May varnish yung engine internals. Di ko lang alam kung dulot yun ng Magnatec, kasi 2nd owner ako.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Change Synthetic Oil after 10k vs Change Regular Oil after 5k