New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it's not the limitation on the speed, but on the engine's rpm. and most manufacturers would recommend not to stay on the same speed for too long. no sudden brakes and jackrabbit starts.
    Signature

2. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    it's not the limitation on the speed, but on the engine's rpm. and most manufacturers would recommend not to stay on the same speed for too long. no sudden brakes and jackrabbit starts.
    same thing that's written on my manual. thus, i think long out of town trips is not recommended since you'll have the tendency to cruise and stay at the same speed for a long time.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    rule of thumb: RTM (read the manual)

ok, so what car did you get?

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    hataw na yan! the faster you drive when the car is new the better the engine performs in the long run.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMO, break-in is not as crucial nowadays as it was with engines before as manufacturing procedures and parts are more advanced already. Some reasons for observing the break-in procedure was to ensure that parts in the engine would seat in properly and since tolerances would usually be tighter, to give less wear to the engine as it begins to loosen up (CMIIW). The change oil/fluids after 1,000km was to clean out any byproducts of the manufacturing process.

But still, it's best to follow what the manufacturers recommend as the other guys stated and that is usually to limit your engine RPMs, speed, avoid jackrabbit starts, long constant driving, etc... I usually notice that engine performance begins to "loosen up" between 2,000km to 5,000km.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    thanks for the inputs.. hhmm.. yeah.. 50mph is quite slow..
    but need to be careful.. kasi takot ako sa huli dito hehehehehe..
    i did reach 80mph once when I was at the freeway.. wala lang.. testing how fast the car would go.. hhmm.. ayus naman.. but that was it.. not above 80mph and not doing it again til i reach about 1000mi sa mileage.. dealer said I need to change oil on 3000mi.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    If you got a new car it should reach at least 100mph easy. wag kang matakot mahuli kasi lahat naman tayo dito mahuhuli din e una una lang naman... yeah that's the dealer recommendation. Dami ng tao dyan sa houston ano? kasi dyan nagpunta yung mga taga La e....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    V.A.R.I.A.B.L.E. S.P.E.E.D and no more than 65mph

I take mine to redline once a week during the break-in period.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    break in parang warm up exercise yan, wag masyadong alaga para hindi siya makupad pag tagal. konting alalay pero ibirit mo rin paminsan minsan.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    hey gwapito.. yeah.. daming pinoy dito.. lalo na kung may handaan.. yun ang pagkakataon na may makita at may makilala ako na pinoy.. hehehehe..
    if there's always a first time sa huli, then I would try to DELAY that situation. Im trying to be careful, di ko pwedeng dalhin ang pagiging kaskasero ko sa pinas dito sa US.. although, its tempting.. specially sa freeway, parang, ang laki-laki ng daanan.. tapos may LIMIT!?!?!?! I like to drive fast.. hopefully, my wife would get me a sportscar within 2 yrs time.. mapapagipunan din ang pang-down. The SUV stays as a family car, the sports coupe is for the men!
    Lipat ang mga pinoy dito sa Houston kasi mas mura ang cost of living dito, mura ang bahay (compared to LA houses). malayo nga lang kami sa downtown! but the good thing is, Houston will host the 2006 NBA ALL-STAR weekend next year (February).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Break-in questions..