New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Can someone please share what are the differences, if there are, between a CVT and an AT ATF? I saw one kasi at True Value exclusively for Honda CVT.

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    I plant to have the pan dropped and whatever remains, sucked out.
    I always wanted to drain out all atf from my tranny and torque converter unfortunately my '98 starex does not have a drain plug at the torque converter and most of the atf is in it, the pan only holds about 3 liters. What I did was to replace the atf with every engine oil change.

Here's my diy at 100k mileage. Drop pan, clean atf stainless filter screen (brush with just soap & water), reinstall everything, fill with 4 liters atf, detach atf return hose after atf cooler to drain into a 1.5 liter clear pet bottle. Engine idling, shifted thru all gears with my son watching and warning me when the bottle is about to be filled up (x2 bottles), shut off, refill with 3 liters. Repeated procedure until 11 liters were used up with another liter used to top off.

I've spent several hours online looking for a way to drain atf from the torque converter, "without a drain plug there's none". They all said the same thing, "the only way out for the atf in the torque converter is thru its way in", so that only leaking seals will cause the atf from the torque converter to return to the pan, which is bad since you have to pull down the tranny for repairs or seal replacement.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Thanks for the heads up. Would you like to visit me at home?

Did you need a new oil pan gasket?

Does the ATF flow out on its own? How fast were you shifting?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Thanks for the heads up. Would you like to visit me at home?
    If only my schedule would permit, I would be more than willing to help you, sir. I really like working on automotive engines, replacing timing belt, adjusting valve clearance, I just repaired my alternator, cost me P1,250 for the IC am a DIYer.

Did you need a new oil pan gasket?
    No gaskets were replaced, as long as you don't tear or damage them they're reuseable.

Does the ATF flow out on its own?
    As long as the engine is running it will flow, don't let it run dry.

How fast were you shifting?
    Stay about 5 secs per gear position being watchful of the amount of atf coming out, again don't let it run dry.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Almost forgot, am using Petron ATF, it's Dexron III per their website.

Am not working for Petron nor selling any of their products, I just use their lubricants for my starex particularly regular single grade SAE40 motor oil, ATF, and Gear Oil SAE90 mixed with their SAE140 for my diff.

sir torque, mga what time kayo open? from ?am-?pm, weekdays/ weekends?

do you do imported liteace?ask ko lang, capacity ko is 8 liters, from what you say, +2-3liters, so mga 11 liters dadalhin ko?

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    To all tsikoteers out there, is there any shop performing atf dialysis in southern metro manila? my ride is scheduled for an atf change already. Concern ko nga lang, baka maghalo yung old at new ATF at magkaroon ng adverse reaction kung hindi madrain lahat especially yung nasa torque converter.TIA!

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Just would like to share the pictures I took yesterday of the filter screen in my '98 starex auto tranny. It's the second time I did this, the first was over 4 yrs. ago. Compared to the first pan drop, there's no friction material on the screen but alot of iron fillings (no big chunks) attracted to the two small square magnets on the pan, some on the screen and a brownish red atf drained. This time I only used about 7 liters of new atf.

First pic below is the pan (w/ cork gasket intact) with the filter screen's underside (atf pump suction side) shown, next pic is the screen's topside that mates with the valve body (last pic w/ gasket intact) held by 6 pcs. 8mm bolts. Again, no gaskets where replaced.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2004
    DIY ATF replacement?

Ginagawa ko yan sa escudo ko. madali lang pero dalawang tao ang kailangan.

Steps:

1. Look for the 1/4" rubber hose that goes from the transmission to the radiator. dalawa yan, to and from.

2. Remove one (hose clip lang yan) and direct the rubber hose to a suitable waste container. dito ala-suerte na lang. kung tama yung natangal mo, sa step 3, sa rubber hose lalabas ang ATF. kung hindi sa pinagtangalan mo sa radiator lalabas ang atf.

3. start the engine, with your foot firmly on the brake, put the gearshift to drive. the atf should slowly drain into the container (if it comes out of the nipple na pinagtangalan mo sa radiator, stop engine. balik mo ang rubber hose at iyong isang rubber hose naman ang tangalin mo.

4. after you drain mga 2-3 liters, stop engine and refill with new atf. then repeat steps 3 and 4.

5. I typically do steps 3and 4 two times lang. pero kung gusto mo mas malinis, repeat mga three times.

unavoidable ang maghalo ang old and new atf dahil hindi mo talaga matatangal ang atf sa torque converter.

Bakit ko ginawa ito? Dexron III kasi lang pwede sa escudo. pag iba ginamit ayaw mag up-shift. huli na nang malaman ko, kaya palit atf ako

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i did almost the same procedure on my gen2 paj.. except it only required 1 person to do it.. i just left the tranny on P while its idling.. had the same effect, atf went pouring out of the hose.. i killed the engine when the atf pouuring out was clearer, meaning new atf...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
ATF Replacement