New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    My 1997 Lancer GLXi didnt come with ABS brakes. 2x na ako nagspin and I dont recall the number of times it has skidded.

How do I install ABS on it? May marerecommend ba kayo? May aftermarket ABS ba na available dito? Are they good and reliable?

Thanks

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    No aftermarket ABS.

Buy better tires. Even if you have ABS, if your tires are in bad enough condition that you skid and spin quite often, all the ABS will do is give you extremely long stopping distances.

Your tires are probably worn out or much too hard (cheap rubber is often hard), which causes poor grip. Buy better tires, and drive slower. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    i don't know of an aftermarket abs system, but you can do same as with the abs by learning (training) to pulse your brake instead of hitting the pedal hard. training lang bro and you can achieve what the abs is doing

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    looks like you're always pushing your car to the limit. tama si niky, the best you can do is by tires with better grip, and mind your speed, especially when it's raining.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think the thread starter is refering to a product that was available during the early 90s. It was sold as an "ABS" system but it is more like a proportional valve system to delay the locking of the front wheels. It doesn't really do the job of a real ABS system.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Well I found this guy at another website who claims to be selling US made aftermarket ABS costing only P5000. He says they were made by G & O Manufacturing... Cant find any info thru the internet on this one though...

Im wondering if he's a hoax...

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Maybe it's a valve-proportioning system, like Ghosthunter was talking about.

Looking at it, all it does is reduce oil pressure to keep brakes from locking up. In other words, you're not getting 100% stopping power.

Like I said, if you're locking your brakes, you're either driving too fast or your tires have absolutely no grip. We used to have two Sentras. Identical year models, except one had ABS and "comfort" tires, one without ABS and "sports" tires. The one with sports tires would lock-up sometimes under very heavy braking, but it always stopped in a shorter distance, and never spun out.

The one with "comfort" tires and ABS had very long stopping distances. And I almost spun out once at 60 (!!!) Km/h by swerving to avoid a dog.

When you have slippery tires, you skid. When you have slippery tires and ABS, the ABS will activate almost constantly, and your car will take forever to stop. Yes, you can steer. But if you try to steer under braking and you have slippery tires, guess what? Yup. You'll still lose control because you have no grip.

How do you brake? You should always leave enough room between yourself and the car in front so that you have time to react and brake. You should focus on braking in a straight line, never while turning. Braking while turning causes the rear tires to unload, which is why your car spins. If you have to turn to avoid an obstacle, let off the brakes a little to get some load back on to the rear tires as you turn.

Again: Forget the aftermarket ABS. Drive slower, don't tailgate. Get better tires. ;)
    Last edited by niky; September 21st, 2007 at 01:26 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    You might want to upgrade your brake line with a steel-braided brake line so that the braking power will also increase and (hopefully) you will feel more braking power on your car and thus prevent you from the need to do fast/sudden braking that can/will lead to lock-up.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I think the thread starter is refering to a product that was available during the early 90s. It was sold as an "ABS" system but it is more like a proportional valve system to delay the locking of the front wheels. It doesn't really do the job of a real ABS system.
    Yup, you're right. The Brand back then in the 90's was "Brake Guard" they ran into some trouble when the National Safety Institute BlahBlah in the US ran a study and found that the product does not work like ABS breaks.

The guy selling the device has replied to me that the item he sells is practically a clone of this Brake Guard Product.

Although Brake Guard got sued by a US govt agency and were prevented from calling their product an "aftermarket ABS" they are still available in the US Market, selling mostly to trailer trucks.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    You might want to upgrade your brake line with a steel-braided brake line so that the braking power will also increase and (hopefully) you will feel more braking power on your car and thus prevent you from the need to do fast/sudden braking that can/will lead to lock-up.
    Yes, i can consider that... but I also do need to learn to control my brakes better even with such a system...

Around how much will it cost? Also, sinong magandang gumawa nun?

I recently changed my brake pads with orginal Mits brake pads. Are the aftermarket brake pads like Bosch, better and/or cheaper? Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Aftermarket ABS