New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Zuk Gurus,

Good Afternoon!

Ask lang ako, i'm toying with the idea of adding a 6th forward gear for my vitara. Reason? Because parang bitin ang takbo, I feel (feeling lang) na the engine is asking for more when I'm already on my 5th gear doing 90 kph. Is it feasible? Pros and cons. . Thanks and God bless.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    That'll be expensive! Palit buong tranny, but yes it is possible. I'm just not sure how many H-pattern 6-speeds are readily available for purchase. Most of the aftermarket trannys would be dog-leg sequentials.

A cheaper way of getting more top speed would be to change your final drive ratio.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unless you can source an original Suzuki box for your engine with the requisite number of ratios, it'll cost a lot to customize this.

The final drive ratio is a better idea, but you have to find one that fits.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Sir nicky/Doc Kamiya,

How do I go about changing the final gear ratio? Intriguing proposition kasi. What items do I need to purchase? Does it involve machine shop pressing? Your inputs have been very valuable. Cheers . .

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Kahit naman 50 kph pede kanang mag 5th gear. I'll be very expensive to replace your tranny let alone find one that will fit your vit. BAka naman mawalang ka ng hatak pag may 6th gear kana.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    To replace it, you'll have to research and find a compatible one that fits... preferably from a Vitara with the same engine model but a different final drive... otherwise, it'll be so difficult and expensive that it'd make more sense to swap in a totally different engine and transmission...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    it's not a cost efficient solution... custom gearboxes will cost more than the vitara itself probably...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazingerZ View Post
    Zuk Gurus,

Good Afternoon!

Ask lang ako, i'm toying with the idea of adding a 6th forward gear for my vitara. Reason? Because parang bitin ang takbo, I feel (feeling lang) na the engine is asking for more when I'm already on my 5th gear doing 90 kph. Is it feasible? Pros and cons. . Thanks and God bless.
    hey bro, I think in your situation mas mabuti pa kung palitan nalang ng mas mataas na final-gear ng Rear-end Differential niyo. replacing the Differential (usually the Ring and Pinion gears) is way easier than replacing the Tranny.

anywayz, ano ba ang Specs ng Vitara niyo?? (mainly the gear ratio) and also I believe yours has a 4WD?? but is it a Full time 4WD or Part time?? (with a seperate shifter for 4WD mode?)

aite, peace.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Anything is possible as long as you have money. How fast do you expect your Vitara to be able to go anyways? If I recall correctly the top speed of the Vitara is about 80mph=128km/h as it is not geared for top speed since it's a 4x4 truck. Being in 5th gear for a particular speed doesn't mean anything it's what rpm are you running at that speed, as someone already posted you can be in 5th at 50 km/h. At 90km/h in 5th are you at redline already? If you are not at redline already and as you state the engine is asking for more maybe you just need to use the skinny pedal more. Honestly though that vehicle was not made to do top speed runs as it has the aerodynamics of the side of a barn.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    90 kmh at 3k rpm sir. Had reached 130 kph at 5,000 rpms di pa naman redline. Pero at 140 kph nanginig na natakot na ako hehehe. speedometer gauge only reaches up to 160 kph lang. Ibibili ko na lang siguro ng snorkel ( am not that mad at money yet hehehe). Thanks sirs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Is 6 forward gears possible for a Vitara?