New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Anyone here know what is needed to slot in a 351 engine into a first gen mustang? Will there be need for some suspension work to accomodate the bigger engine? What other things should one know?

want to create a sleeper.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What Carroll Shelby did in his GT500 was to shave off or takeout the shock towers in the engine bay. Of course, he shoehorned a big block in the fastback.

Baka kasya yung 351W sa engine bay. 351 Windsor is also a small block Ford engine. If your engine is a 351 Cleveland, baka hindi nga magkakasya. In this case, you'll have to shave-off a good portion of your shock towers.

PM Turbo coz he was able to shoehorn a Ford 460 big block in a '67/'68 fast back.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    remind me again what the stock lump in the '65 was? was it a 289?

regardless, i believe Ford sells 'crate motors' of various displacements that are meant to be more or less plug-and-play with the stock mounts and linkages. not sure if you can source one over there.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Midnite, You better just put in that 351 on your stang, beef up your springs, and other mods if you want a ghost of a chance of catching up with my ride's 390FE. Hehe.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post

regardless, i believe Ford sells 'crate motors' of various displacements that are meant to be more or less plug-and-play with the stock mounts and linkages. not sure if you can source one over there.
    Ford Racing Performance's Crate Engine...
    Compact but powerful.
    302 (5.0 liter) with GT40 heads...

345hp and 305 ft/lbs of torque.
    Current price in the US: $3,850

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    Anyone here know what is needed to slot in a 351 engine into a first gen mustang? Will there be need for some suspension work to accomodate the bigger engine? What other things should one know?

want to create a sleeper.
    Which 351 do you have, a Windsor or Cleveland?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Which 351 do you have, a Windsor or Cleveland?
    that is a good question. the block casting numbers make it all the more confusing since it can either be a 351W, 351C or 351M/400. Need to check where the radiator hose goes, how many bolts on the valve covers etc.

to answer the question about what the original engine was mustangs of that period came with the 289 which was discontinued with the emergence of the 302 which was basically a re-bored 289.

shelby's of the time - the gt350 used the k-code 289 while the gt500 the 428...

there were around 6 mustang shelby convertibles in 66 but they did not use the 351...

shock towers can be replaced with mustang II semi-coil over suspension...

how about a roll cage?

now who can help identify what the 351 I got is? the casting number says - D4AE...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrox View Post
    Midnite, You better just put in that 351 on your stang, beef up your springs, and other mods if you want a ghost of a chance of catching up with my ride's 390FE. Hehe.
    Hamon ba yan Hotrox? Have seen a 57 chevy with a 283 beat a 69 camaro with a 396 and a mopar 440...during my dad's time...secret isnt the size of the engine...i'll tell you more about how my dad and tito did it when we go to bulacan

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post

sourcing isnt that problem...got ways to bring cars in...my friend just brought in a Dino from NY...so engine shouldnt be an issue..its just what mods will need to be done to slot one in...even if it were a crate...would that mean getting a kit to convert shock towers to coil overs? etc.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by midinite View Post
    sourcing isnt that problem...got ways to bring cars in...my friend just brought in a Dino from NY...so engine shouldnt be an issue..its just what mods will need to be done to slot one in...even if it were a crate...would that mean getting a kit to convert shock towers to coil overs? etc.
    never done it myself, so i'm not the most informed source. i did help my friend install a crate in his camaro and afaik whatever mods need to be done are sold as part of the package. i don't remember if we needed to mod any towers or mounts...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
351 cid into a 65 mustang