New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitesmith View Post
    Wow. Can you say sir that you are a happy owner?

Besides, I'm eyeing for a 2001 astra so would you still recommend getting a 9-10 year old one?

I consider the sedan type, at mt is not that important in my choice.
    With a 10 yr old car there are days and THERE ARE DAYS...

I have what they call an A/T Estate aka Caravan aka Station Wagon. I have a special attachment for them because you can load in anything in them including 4ft x 8ft plywood!!! Add a dog net and you definitely have gone the Euro look on your car!!! What do I love about my car? It's different because it's a station wagon, it can load anything at the back and the doors still close like a Swiss safe because of the heavy gauge steel used. Even if it's still dead stock (as in no mods whatsoever), it still stands out.

Yes it's underpowered and as such has a slow acceleration but hey, who needs a fast car in Manila anyway???

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    I'm a former Opel Astra owner and if budget is a concern, I highly suggest you stay away and get a Japanese second hand car instead.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitesmith View Post
    Thanks for the input sir.

So are you saying that for a 150-170k budget, opel astra is not the best choice? if so, what is the latest model you can recommend?
    something more common like the Sentra and Corolla.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Thanks for the inputs.

Any more opinions / suggestions ?

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    By the way, Astra and Optra are kinda similar. Ano po mas oks sa kanila?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    They're 2 different species...

Have you made your decision???

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    I've owned an Opel Astra for 4 years before. I was so happy with it. Not under power at all. It's distinctively a bit slow on the acceleration but it can go very fast on the highway. I think it's one nature of European cars compared with Japanese cars w/c accelerate quickly but lags on the highway.
    Build is very good. Suspension's on the sporty side. Very good handling. Very good ergonomics. Fuel-efficient for a 1600 wagon. I like the interior. Radio and speakers sounds very good for a stock car. And like the other poster above, the Astra looks good on it's own without any accessory.
    On the other side, I sold it for practical reasons.

8. Join Date
    May 2009
    practical reason for what sir?

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I guess he "got robbed" by the casa of yore...

10. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    opel astra owner here...

its hard to describe the ride of the astra as compared to its japanese counterparts.. you have to testdrive it yourself... feeling mo nasa cocoon ka and solid na solid ang ride...

since european car siya, expect maintenance cost to be slightly higher than japanese... with regard sa parts, there are shops which specialized in opels like thunder, olympia etc. meron din seller sa ebay! hehe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast