New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2009
    Hi guys...

I was one of the unlucky ones who was a victim of Ondoy last year. In that case, I have no choice but to sell my old but reliable 93 lancer glxi for a mind-boggling el cheapo price. Anyway, since I have a car way back 2nd year college, medyo mahirap pala kapag nasanay ka na may kotse for years tapos bigla mawawala. I thought it would be fine but now I'm beginning to miss having a car lalo na kung umuulan at mahirap sumakay.

The problem here, I'm just a call center agent so I need to save hard for every peso I can para makabili ng kotse ulit.

With proper computation, my budget would be 150-170k. And the choice would be the ff:

1. 2001 Opel Astra
    2. 2000 Nissan FE
    3. 1993 Lancer GLXI
    4. 1997 Lancer EL
    5. 1997 Toyota Corolla
    6. 1993 Galant
    7. 97-98 Nissan Cefiro
    8. Any other suggestion?

With the choice above, I'm leaning towards Opel Astra. Aside from being Euro, I find it the most fresh I could get for my budget (In my opinion ofcourse). Based on the research I made, medyo hati yung feedback. What I need from you guys is your honest / un-bias opinion. I know, marami thread pero most of the response is somewhat outdated (2006 pa).

- I'm not after the speed (or let's say not a priority)
    - I've seen this car before sa mall and medyo na pa head turn ako, parang sosi ang dating. Hehehe.
    - I'm aware na medyo mahirap at mahal ang parts.
    - I think Astra has airbag so a big plus for the budget.

By the way guys, I don't have the cash right now pa. Actually, I'm still saving for it. Pero ako kase yung tipo na mas nakaka ipon ng seryoso kapag andun na yung "mindset" sa bibilin ko. So as early as now, gusto ko mag research ng sobra.

Thanks in advance guys...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    In my opinion about the Opel Astra

-cramp interior
    -underpowered
    -my brother's unit tends to discharge the battery every other day if you don't start it every day.
    -parts hard to find & can be expensive (important since you mentioned you have limited funds)

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    A well kept Opel Astra will go a long way...

I've had my Astra for 10 years now and, being a (former) member of the clubopelph.com I was able to source parts suppliers and ex-Opel mechanics.

What are your considerations for your Astra?? Sedan?? Estate/Caravan/Wagon?? M/T?? A/T??

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    parts are not hard to find sa Opel. Olympia in Araneta Ave. is a good source of OEM parts for Opel/Suzuki/Isuzu cars.

pero sa lahat nang iyan, yung Cefiro pa rin ang pinakagusto ko, downside masyadong malakas sa gas ang v6 engine niya.

BTT : Optra is a good car, my cousin owns one a 2002 Opel Astra (the last astra's na pinadala dito sa pinas hehe).

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    yes maintenance lang tlga, dati its really hard to get parts for opel tapos expensive pa. pero ngayon parang honda nalang parts nyan, dami na bagong supplier yes mahina interior nya pag nakababad sa araw, pero mura lang pagpalit nyan, basta alam mo lang san kukuha. mabigat ang astra n german steel yan, pag banggaan panalo ka sigurado tigas kc nyan, safe ka pa proven. and ung sa hatak mahina tlga kc 1.6v lang sya kung pangkakarera mo lang, mag vectra o omega ka nalang para malakas makina, kaya lang mas mahal ata selling value nila.
    -nissan mura parts pag sentra based, pero pag cefiro.. maporma nga kaya lang mas mahal pa sa astra ung parts nyan, (orig kc)
    -toyota is cheaper when it comes to parts, 1 yr lang may replacement na agad ung mga b.new na car.. un nga lang taiwan hehe
    -mitsubishi cheaper din parts pero it depends on ur car.
    -basta alaga lang car mo, it will go a long way kahit anong car pa yan

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]REMINDER: do not post messages in SMS/TXT shortcut format.

Read the RULES.

Ignorance is NOT an excuse.

Repeated offenses will lead to banning.
    [/SIZE]

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by docgorio View Post
    A well kept Opel Astra will go a long way...

I've had my Astra for 10 years now and, being a (former) member of the clubopelph.com I was able to source parts suppliers and ex-Opel mechanics.

What are your considerations for your Astra?? Sedan?? Estate/Caravan/Wagon?? M/T?? A/T??
    Wow. Can you say sir that you are a happy owner?

Besides, I'm eyeing for a 2001 astra so would you still recommend getting a 9-10 year old one?

I consider the sedan type, at mt is not that important in my choice.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitesmith View Post
    Wow. Can you say sir that you are a happy owner?

Besides, I'm eyeing for a 2001 astra so would you still recommend getting a 9-10 year old one?

I consider the sedan time, at mt is not that important in my choice.

Consider the time you will spend finding spare & replacement parts.

It is not that you can just walk up to any automotive store & ask if they have the OPEL part you need. You will need to go to the few specific stores that sell OPEL parts.

If you live near Araneta Ave, then fine. But if your home & school is rather a long distance away, you might want to reconsider.

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_david19 View Post
    parts are not hard to find sa Opel. Olympia in Araneta Ave. is a good source of OEM parts for Opel/Suzuki/Isuzu cars.

pero sa lahat nang iyan, yung Cefiro pa rin ang pinakagusto ko, downside masyadong malakas sa gas ang v6 engine niya.

BTT : Optra is a good car, my cousin owns one a 2002 Opel Astra (the last astra's na pinadala dito sa pinas hehe).
    Yep oks din ang cefiro although I find it big and some says na sobra nga raw kumain sa gas.

I noticed na magkamukha yung optra at astra, are they?

10. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Consider the time you will spend finding spare & replacement parts.

It is not that you can just walk up to any automotive store & ask if they have the OPEL part you need. You will need to go to the few specific stores that sell OPEL parts.

If you live near Araneta Ave, then fine. But if your home & school is rather a long distance away, you might want to reconsider.

Thanks for the input sir.

So are you saying that for a 150-170k budget, opel astra is not the best choice? if so, what is the latest model you can recommend?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast