New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Thinking of getting a Sentra 1.3 GX (AT) brand new around 2014 (if still available).

Understand that this model has been around since 2004.

Just a question to those who owns the car...

1. Specs wise (on paper), its larger than a Vios, is there a big difference in leg/shoulder/head room and trunk space?
    2. Hows the City/Highway Fuel Consumption?
    3. Hows the engine's power? Any issues going up in Baguio with 5 adults with Luggage? or maybe overtaking issues?
    4. Any issues when using regular unleaded gasoline?
    5. Hows the suspension?
    6. Any long term issues I should expect with the car?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The N16 chassis has been in the country since 2001. See below.

1. It is larger than most sub-compacts since the N16 chassis is classified as a compact. It is about the same in size as the 2002-2005 Altis, 2001-2005 Civic, and 2003-2007 Lancer.
    2. FC is lower than most sub-compacts and some compacts. You get the same FC as the better-spec 1.6L GS. My old 2002 Exalta N16 1.6L GS gets about 8 km/L on city driving conditions and about 12 km/L on the highway.
    3. The QG13 is a bit underpowered to move the heavy N16 chassis. Coupled with an old 4-speed AT, power delivery is even worse than sub-compacts with a 1.3L engine. Don't expect to get a zippy drive with this car. A good thing though is that Nissan engines have good low-end torque so you need not floor the gas pedal to move its heavy body.
    4. As per my manual before, the QG16 require 95RON fuel. Check first with NMPI as to the proper fuel requirements for the lower end QG13.
    5. The N16 suspension is one of its weaknesses, due to its heavy body. If used daily within Metro Manila, make sure to check its bushings and supports regularly (twice a year) or else, you will deal with early tire wear issues or broken shock absorbers.
    6. If you keep the car maintained, you won't have major issues with it. Be diligent with fluids replacement. Feed it with the right fuel requirement so that you will not deal with engine knocking. Keep its underpinnings (suspension) in good shape to preserve its ride.

IMHO, if you have the budget, a more modern car (chassis and engine) is a better choice than the base model Sentra GX. Maybe the Lancer EX 1.6L, if you're looking at compacts. Or select from the more common sub-compacts (Vios or City).

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    the sentra GX....

1. can use Regular Unleaded with no problems
    2. with proper maintenance this car will run even beyond 500,000 kms without problems. ---i know because i know a few that has reached 500k kms.

if you need a car that will transport you from point A to point B with cool aircon and without breaking down, this is the car for you.

the vios is no match for durability long term.--i know because i know a few that has reached 400k kms.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    At 660k, don't you think I'm better off with a 2-3 year old Civic, Altis or City?

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    At 660k, don't you think I'm better off with a 2-3 year old Civic, Altis or City?
    at that price, you can consider the new mirage. it has great fuel mileage, if we are to believe the threaders here..
    may sukli ka pa.
    but the fifth passenger will probably have to take the bus to baguio.
    Last edited by dr. d; July 20th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I've seen the Mirage hatchback when I was having my vacation at Sydney.

We'll look at the G4, but I didn't include it in my choices since I didn't like the suspension, rear seat (bench), the engine and road noise.

It also drove different when loaded with passengers.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk