New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    https://www.************/2020/02/nis...uring.html?m=1

The decision of Honda Cars Philippines (HCPI) to stop local assembly may not be the last. Sta. Rosa City mayor Arlene Arcillas revealed that Nissan is following suit as well.

In a radio interview with DZMM program Dos-Por-Dos, Arcillas says that the city council has already been made aware of Nissan Philippines’s plan to stop the manufacture of the Almera sub-compact sedan locally.

Unlike Honda though, Nissan plans to maintain a presence in Sta. Rosa, but only in an assembly capacity. Arcillas says that the third best-selling car brand in the country will assemble vehicles using CKD kits imported from outside the Philippines. This will result in Nissan having to downsize its workforce says Arcillas, but the effect would not be as drastic compared to Honda’s decision to shutter its assembly which will lay off more than 380 workers.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Monseratto View Post
    https://www.************/2020/02/nis...uring.html?m=1

The decision of Honda Cars Philippines (HCPI) to stop local assembly may not be the last. Sta. Rosa City mayor Arlene Arcillas revealed that Nissan is following suit as well.

In a radio interview with DZMM program Dos-Por-Dos, Arcillas says that the city council has already been made aware of Nissan Philippines’s plan to stop the manufacture of the Almera sub-compact sedan locally.

Unlike Honda though, Nissan plans to maintain a presence in Sta. Rosa, but only in an assembly capacity. Arcillas says that the third best-selling car brand in the country will assemble vehicles using CKD kits imported from outside the Philippines. This will result in Nissan having to downsize its workforce says Arcillas, but the effect would not be as drastic compared to Honda’s decision to shutter its assembly which will lay off more than 380 workers.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

wait nalito ako

bakit assembling CKD will need less people?

baka SKD

CKD - complete knock down
    SKD - semi knock down

if coming from CKD going to SKD you'll need less people

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    If they are really only assembling the Almera here, then it would make sense as that "year model" is getting replaced already. But it doesn't make sense for Nissan PH to retool the whole assembly line when they can import from Thailand.

I am curious though if they plan to do the completion of assembly for their "mass market models" or just the new model Almera? Are they also going to axe the Sylphy/Sentra for now since it too closely resembles the new Almera to trim down their product line as the Sylphy isn't exactly a volume seller?

What else could they "assemble" locally other than Almera? The Xpander Twin?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    If they are really only assembling the Almera here, then it would make sense as that "year model" is getting replaced already. But it doesn't make sense for Nissan PH to retool the whole assembly line when they can import from Thailand.

I am curious though if they plan to do the completion of assembly for their "mass market models" or just the new model Almera? Are they also going to axe the Sylphy/Sentra for now since it too closely resembles the new Almera to trim down their product line as the Sylphy isn't exactly a volume seller?

What else could they "assemble" locally other than Almera? The Xpander Twin?
    Possible the Nissan Livina the Xpander twin. Sana yung Terra at Navara din

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    wait nalito ako

bakit assembling CKD will need less people?

baka SKD

CKD - complete knock down
    SKD - semi knock down

if coming from CKD going to SKD you'll need less people

No, currently they are manufacturing the Almera completely locally, so not even CKD but complete ground-up manufacturing includng the stamping body panels is done here. From the article:
    Currently, the Nissan Almera is built from the ground up (including body panel stamping) at the Nissan Technopark in Sta. Rosa, Laguna by Univation Motor Philippines (formerly Nissan Motor Philippines, Inc.).
    Going from full local manufacturing to CKD assembly will need less people.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    i see ok thanks

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    Possible the Nissan Livina the Xpander twin. Sana yung Terra at Navara din
    I doubt the Terra and Navara.

I do wonder, given that Mitsubishi and Nissan are under one umbrella, could MMPC and Nissan PH actually share that assembly plant for any "twin models" they could plan to sell here (Xpander and Livina as an example)?

It may make business sense if it "rationalizes" their workforce and minimizes overhead, so would that be practical?

Based on the report, the factory itself is not Nissan Philippines and they created a separate entity for it, so I think it would be possible for MMPC as well to source some model/units from the same assembly plant should they think it to be a viable option.

I am just thinking it as a possibility as they have the "space", they also have the workforce (albeit trimmed down). How to maximize that is the other question I think they are deciding on right now.