New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    He he.. yup.. It seems that every import mags feature lots n' lots of nissan cars, most advertisement on performance parts all used nissan cars as their car model. I can think of some facts why it's d no. 1 brand for tuners--
    -Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn who had considered his young tuner market well
    -Japan GT dominated by nissan since it began
    -The new sport of drifting also dominated by nissan cars

But for me, it's all because of d car that's been tagged "Every Rice Boy's Dreamcar, d GTR. This technological tour de force japanese supercar set feats and records no other japanese sports/super car had ever come close to. Like let's say lap records at nurburgring, 29 consecutive major race wins, onced banned in a race for being too dominating, etc.... and later on tagged "Godzilla" by foreigners. I[SIZE=2]t was rated by many motoring magazines, as providing performance and handling equal or superior to that of European icons like the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Porsche 911[/SIZE][SIZE=2] and the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ferrari Testarossa[/SIZE][SIZE=2], at a[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]considerably lower price[/SIZE]. [SIZE=2]With all that... tuners, professional, and street racers became really fascinated by it, and want to grab their hands on it.. But u know d feeling of u can't have what u want? That's exactly what they felt[/SIZE]coz, the car was only launched in it's mother land! It's basically the true street and track legend.

Now as for d locally tuner scene. I will agree w/ u as well as to our bros that it is all about the money. And to nissan Phil. since our tuner culture is focused on compacts maybe it's nice if they'll have a real GTS / SE-R sentra w/ real GTS /SE-R engine, not just looks like what honda Phil did w/ there SiR! That would make pinoy nissan tuners life much easier. Look around there's quite a number of nissan tuner's growing here.. but of course not as dynamic and like u said "cool" as d ones compared to the in the west or japan. Who knows maybe in a few years...

By the way love that nasty GTR on ur bonus video!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Nissan Philippines already imports the 350Z. And they provide equipment for maintenance and a warranty. That's more than Mitsubishi will do (no warranty on Evos?) And they already import Nismo kits.

What else do you want them to do? There's no more 200SXs to sell, and the new SE-R is a pipedream... at least until local production lines (meaning, those damn Yulon sites) gear up for the new Sentra.

Besides... as a longtime member of the Nissan community, I can tell you... they're not very interested in selling sports cars in every price bracket. They're happy just having the 350Z as a halo car, and selling Nismo suspension kits for the X-Trail and Sentra. And that's better than what they did for us in the 90's, where all they gave us was body kits...

Nissan already had some other parts... they were selling a race engine (a genuine SR16VE N1, a 200 hp 1.6 liter engine), but interest was low.

Besides, the tuner culture you're talking about is not driven by the manufacturers, it's driven by the tuner crowd. And, like I've said, the tuners are there, you just don't know where to look.
    I know pinoy nissan tuners are here but it sure ain't easy.. I share the same sentiments with our dude Ignited, since we local tuners focus more on compacts, why not nissan Phillipines give us sentras w/ a more sporty engines like the one's in U.S. I don't care if it would be a GTS or an Se-R, just give pinoys something na sporty both outside and d inside. And I must disagree w/ u.. for me it is more easy to tune a 90s sentra, for both our local b13 and b14 are the same models used in the states.. as I've said b13 and b14 aftermarket parts are very abundant in the states. In our current sentra.. ummm... i don't know if we can get aftermarket products from nissan perfromance shops like JimWolf, Mossy or even Stillen from the states.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    JimWolf stuff here is by order only... and good luck with that. The best we can do locally is engine swap to turbo lumps, but for the enthusiast wishing to pump up their naturally aspirated GA16s, SR20s and CAs, it's tough...

That's one of the reasons I jumped ship with Nissan after our last Sentra... needed more power... ...too bad I jumped to Ford/Mazda, which has worse engines... whoops! :hihihi:

I'm not saying it's not easy. I'm just saying don't expect the local Nissan to be very sympathetic to the tuner crowd.

Manufacturers go to a fair bit of expense to fix customers' cars for warranty problems. And a lot of them go hand-in-hand with modification and street racing. To protect their image of reliability (what little there is of it here) and to keep from alienating their core audience (mostly the geriatrics and the thrifty...), Nissan Yulon hasn't been very keen on going past the cosmetic type of "sportiness". Thankfully, that's starting to change, as they're rolling with the market and the new Nissan image, but change is very slow. We're only getting the "new" global Nissans at the end of their model cycles, and there isn't even any rumors as to when we get the new Sentra.

But "sporty" cars at the cheaper end of the market are a tough sell. We officially got the 200SX, with the SR20DET, to boot, but Nissan didn't bring it in in big numbers. Miatas came and went, and the market hardly batted an eye (thankfully, a lot of those that did sell are still around). Ford did the limited edition Lynx RS (loosely based on the Mazda Protege MP3 / Mazdaspeed Familia, widely regarded as one of the best handling FWD sedans ever) and despite the small numbers, had trouble moving them off the showroom floors. Honda only hit it big with the SiR because of the market's perception of Honda's "indestructibility" and resale value.

Toyota was going to bring in the TOM's Corolla (turbocharged 1.6)... they didn't even bother to go beyond the bodykits... the market wasn't there.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you buy a fully built car from an aftermarket company, you are not a tuner. you are simply a person who buys a car from a tuner :hihihi:

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    if you buy a fully built car from an aftermarket company, you are not a tuner. you are simply a person who buys a car from a tuner :hihihi:
    he he he... gotcha huh!! but I its also a known fact that sporty compacts like SeR Sentras, n' Si Civics are the favorite young tuner "starter" cars. ;)

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNITED View Post
    He he.. yup.. It seems that every import mags feature lots n' lots of nissan cars, most advertisement on performance parts all used nissan cars as their car model. I can think of some facts why it's d no. 1 brand for tuners--
    -Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn who had considered his young tuner market well
    -Japan GT dominated by nissan since it began
    -The new sport of drifting also dominated by nissan cars

But for me, it's all because of d car that's been tagged "Every Rice Boy's Dreamcar, d GTR. This technological tour de force japanese supercar set feats and records no other japanese sports/super car had ever come close to. Like let's say lap records at nurburgring, 29 consecutive major race wins, onced banned in a race for being too dominating, etc.... and later on tagged "Godzilla" by foreigners. I[SIZE=2]t was rated by many motoring magazines, as providing performance and handling equal or superior to that of European icons like the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Porsche 911[/SIZE][SIZE=2] and the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ferrari Testarossa[/SIZE][SIZE=2], at a[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]considerably lower price[/SIZE]. [SIZE=2]With all that... tuners, professional, and street racers became really fascinated by it, and want to grab their hands on it.. But u know d feeling of u can't have what u want? That's exactly what they felt[/SIZE]coz, the car was only launched in it's mother land! It's basically the true street and track legend.

Now as for d locally tuner scene. I will agree w/ u as well as to our bros that it is all about the money. And to nissan Phil. since our tuner culture is focused on compacts maybe it's nice if they'll have a real GTS / SE-R sentra w/ real GTS /SE-R engine, not just looks like what honda Phil did w/ there SiR! That would make pinoy nissan tuners life much easier. Look around there's quite a number of nissan tuner's growing here.. but of course not as dynamic and like u said "cool" as d ones compared to the in the west or japan. Who knows maybe in a few years...

By the way love that nasty GTR on ur bonus video!
    he he... Its all about d beast that is the GTR... actually my folks in the states are also at awe to that magnificent automatic 4 wheel drive RB26DETT engine. They say that theres nothing quite like it, it has been a tuner import legend w/o ever leaving Japan. Can't wait till the next GTR comes, it was rumored to have around 450 horses!

And again I totally absolutely agree w/ u about the SE-R / GTS looks w/ SE-R / GTS performance also. It just freaks me out everytime my cuz updates me on their ongoing silvia s13 and s14 project in the states!!

7. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    My cousin's bf is a Filipino U.S soldier based in Japan. He is currently here in the country, we have kinda bonded since the time he got here for we have the same interest-- cars.

He told me that there was an Import Tuner magazine shoot this year in Japan, featuring Am soldiers who has the best tuner rides there... Luckily he has a copy with him (Import Tuner Aug.2007- U.S troop inspired Infiniti G35 cover). I browsed it, I saw these troops best JDM rides... made up of around 90% nissan, from Cefiros A31, Silvia S13s to GT-R. You guys should see their tuned A31s! Especially those locally aspiring A31 projects.

We compared notes on the tuning scene here and in Japan.. and a li'l bit sa U.S. Well, all he has to say is it's very much different.. puro compacts daw tayo. In Japan daw, when you say tuning it's more on Nissan. He also told me that I might have noticed that almost all Big Japan based Tuning Companies has Nissan performance cars as their projects.

Makasama nga sa kanya minsan. kamehame waaave.....

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    A31 Cefiro S13/14/15 Silvias, Fairlady Turbo, B13 Sentras [B14 im not totally sold to this one although had own one before, suspension too soft], Skylines have really good tuning potential. So i dont see any problem with that. Kudos to Nissan and the fan boys!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cd! View Post
    My cousin's bf is a Filipino U.S soldier based in Japan. He is currently here in the country, we have kinda bonded since the time he got here for we have the same interest-- cars.

He told me that there was an Import Tuner magazine shoot this year in Japan, featuring Am soldiers who has the best tuner rides there... Luckily he has a copy with him (Import Tuner Aug.2007- U.S troop inspired Infiniti G35 cover). I browsed it, I saw these troops best JDM rides... made up of around 90% nissan, from Cefiros A31, Silvia S13s to GT-R. You guys should see their tuned A31s! Especially those locally aspiring A31 projects.

We compared notes on the tuning scene here and in Japan.. and a li'l bit sa U.S. Well, all he has to say is it's very much different.. puro compacts daw tayo. In Japan daw, when you say tuning it's more on Nissan. He also told me that I might have noticed that almost all Big Japan based Tuning Companies has Nissan performance cars as their projects.

Makasama nga sa kanya minsan. kamehame waaave.....
    Hey! I have a copy of that mag! well I guess that's pretty much what's happening in the tuner scene especially sa Japan.

I live in Cali U.S before and it's the Japanese tune wave had started to get there... since GT-Rs are rare there puro Z, Silvias (w/ swapped Jdm powerplant), G35, Sentras / Pulsars ang tune nila. Before when I was there with my pinoy tuner friends, everytime we would see a Skyline GT-R their eyes would pop and their jaws would drop everytime.. Ha ha ha! I can still imagine their faces.
    Miss my tropa there na ah..

Quote Originally Posted by basti08 View Post
    A31 Cefiro S13/14/15 Silvias, Fairlady Turbo, B13 Sentras [B14 im not totally sold to this one although had own one before, suspension too soft], Skylines have really good tuning potential. So i dont see any problem with that. Kudos to Nissan and the fan boys!
    Dude you forgot... the Se-R B15 is a tuner fav just like the B13 in the States too! ;)

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Hey sabi nga ng relative ko from the States sa latest SEMA autoshow in Vegas last October most cars (atleast from the Import's side) consists mainly of Nissan cars.. from Z, G37, Silvias, etc.

For other Jap brands here's the scoop, Evo fans Im sorry but there are few Evos in the show.. the WRX beat them this year at the show. A few Mazdas are also present in the show.. as for the good ol' Honda they have a few in the show w/c made up of Fits and Civics Si's. For Toyota... ummm it's mostly from but their Scion brand.
    For the Domestics naman there are the Stangs that dominate the show for them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Nissan- the current west's and Japan's leading tuner brand of choice