New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Luap View Post
    Wow...I am planning to purchase a CUV and the 2018 xtrail is one of the choices. Is the honda cvt better? CRV and the CX5 are one of the choices so mukhang CX5 na lang medyo mahal lang. Ipon pa ng konti

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
    crv diesel is the most frugal. cx5 diesel is also good. why the nissan gas guzzler?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Not much difference between the 2.0 4x2 X-trail and the 2.0 gas CR-V. It's the 2.5L 4x4 X-trail that's a guzzler in traffic. But on the open road it's pretty good for a port injected 2.5L.

I would think all 2.5L gas engines won't do well in traffic.

Diesel CR-V is of course a lot better FC wise.

Our 4x4 X-trail with the same CVT as the current one has over 70Tkm on it. No issues naman.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As with all CUVs and midsize cars with 2.0L to 2.5L engines, don’t expect too much in terms of fuel efficiency. Be happy with 6-7 km/L on city routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Frugal nga ang 1.6L diesel crv. Same power figures ng hyundai accent just on.a heavier body.
    As long as you don't race it much and heavy city driving. Ok sya.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Im used to driving 2.0 CUV. I have T30 2.0 4X4. So di ako maninibago sa gas consumption. Takot lang ako sa CVT issues later on based on that video above.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Im used to driving 2.0 CUV. I have T30 2.0 4X4. So di ako maninibago sa gas consumption. Takot lang ako sa CVT issues later on based on that video above.

Its up to you if you really want to risk it.. but that is if you really love to have a Nissan. There is a possibility that it may be faulty... but then again some are lucky to have no issues with theirs. Personally, I wouldn’t get a car with a CVT, I would stick with either a manual or a conventional auto. No DCT or CVT for me. My 2 cents.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    There is a possibility that it may be faulty... .
    from the factory faulty agad?

cvt failures in the US are from relatively high mileage nissans and oldee models.

the last reported cvt replacement for the roague was from a 2016 model. other than that wala na. nissan may have fixed their cvt issues.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    Wow...I am planning to purchase a CUV and the 2018 xtrail is one of the choices. Is the honda cvt better? CRV and the CX5 are one of the choices so mukhang CX5 na lang medyo mahal lang. Ipon pa ng konti

If you are comparing first gen CVTs of Nissan and Honda, then Hondas here didn't fare better. The first gen CVT issues were also present in the City and Jazz when they were launched.

The question of how reliable these 2nd/3rd gen CVTs are remains to be seen. I personally haven't had an issue yet with the Sylphy's CVT, granted, that might need more miles or more time to crop up so who really knows. But I'm also an owner of the first gen Honda CVT in the Honda 1.3 i-DSi. When the issue was only starting to appear with some shuddering showing during low speed turns, I immediately brought it to Honda to check the transmission. So far, the transmission has yet to be overhauled/replaced. The only thing they changed for it was the CVTF to restore it to good working condition along with a reset.

If you are wary of the CVTs, the choices are a bit limited for CUVs I think as even Subaru has changed to CVTs for their transmission of choice. Mazdas wouldn't be CVTs per my knowledge, not sure if the Koreans shifted to CVTs also.

Good luck in your purchase.

EDIT 1: I'm going to try bringing the Sylphy with me in a trip down Southern Luzon. Travel distance would be around 700kms total within 24hours so hopefully I'll see how it performs in continuous up and downhill slopes. Of course, I'd hope there will be no issues, especially going into limp mode. But I'll never really know unless I take it with me. Just had it checked by Nissan (the CVT in particular) 5 months ago so there shouldn't be any issues with it.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    Its up to you if you really want to risk it.. but that is if you really love to have a Nissan. There is a possibility that it may be faulty... but then again some are lucky to have no issues with theirs. Personally, I wouldn’t get a car with a CVT, I would stick with either a manual or a conventional auto. No DCT or CVT for me. My 2 cents.
    Mahirap magsalita ng tapos. Our cars at home either come in CVT or DCT. We have no issues with either trannies. All are good cars in their own respect. The lone vehicle with a traditional AT tranny is the oldest and the only one with an NA engine, all CVTs and DCTs come with a turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    If you are comparing first gen CVTs of Nissan and Honda, then Hondas here didn't fare better. The first gen CVT issues were also present in the City and Jazz when they were launched.

The question of how reliable these 2nd/3rd gen CVTs are remains to be seen. I personally haven't had an issue yet with the Sylphy's CVT, granted, that might need more miles or more time to crop up so who really knows. But I'm also an owner of the first gen Honda CVT in the Honda 1.3 i-DSi. When the issue was only starting to appear with some shuddering showing during low speed turns, I immediately brought it to Honda to check the transmission. So far, the transmission has yet to be overhauled/replaced. The only thing they changed for it was the CVTF to restore it to good working condition along with a reset.

If you are wary of the CVTs, the choices are a bit limited for CUVs I think as even Subaru has changed to CVTs for their transmission of choice. Mazdas wouldn't be CVTs per my knowledge, not sure if the Koreans shifted to CVTs also.

Good luck in your purchase.

EDIT 1: I'm going to try bringing the Sylphy with me in a trip down Southern Luzon. Travel distance would be around 700kms total within 24hours so hopefully I'll see how it performs in continuous up and downhill slopes. Of course, I'd hope there will be no issues, especially going into limp mode. But I'll never really know unless I take it with me. Just had it checked by Nissan (the CVT in particular) 5 months ago so there shouldn't be any issues with it.
    Thanks for this very useful insight. I have never owned a CVT yet. I mostly owned diesel ppvs.

Enjoy your upcoming fun drive. I brought my old xtrail to aparri twice. Both were fun long drives thats why i love my xtrail. I recently sold it with no issues thats why xtrail is still one of my choices.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast