New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2008
    Pardon my ignorance. I just got my G4 about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to check on the temperature but don't know how. Nag wawarm up kasi muna ako ng car before using it pero there's no way for me to check if it reaches the right temperature unlike with the old cars I used before. So I just rev for about 3-5 min. And how will I know when the time come na mag overheat (knocking on wood)? Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mystique26 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. I just got my G4 about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to check on the temperature but don't know how. Nag wawarm up kasi muna ako ng car before using it pero there's no way for me to check if it reaches the right temperature unlike with the old cars I used before. So I just rev for about 3-5 min. And how will I know when the time come na mag overheat (knocking on wood)? Thanks.
    On most cars, upon start up it will display an engine temperature light which is color blue on the cluster gauge. It will turn off once your reach the optimal temperature for the engine.

You will only notice that you are overheating once you see an engine temperature light which is color red on the cluster gauge

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i think there is a red light that lights up when the engine overheats. other than that, there's nothing we can do to monitor engine temp. it's frustrating, but at the price...
    btw... warming up the engine, using up fuel and spewing out pollutants, all without going nowhere, is a waste of fuel. just drive out, po. let the engine take care of itself.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    OP, everything you need should be in the manual.

Low coolant temperature indicator - green
    This indicator comes on in green while the coolant temperature is low. NOTE: When the indicator goes out, this should be used as a rough indication of when the heating starts working.

High coolant temperature warning light - red
    This light comes on in red if the coolant temperature becomes excessively high. CAUTION: If the light comes on during vehicle operation, it indicates that the engine is possibly overheating. Continued driving could make the engine fail. Immediately stop the vehicle in a safe place and take appropriate action.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    OP, everything you need should be in the manual.

Low coolant temperature indicator - green
    This indicator comes on in green while the coolant temperature is low. NOTE: When the indicator goes out, this should be used as a rough indication of when the heating starts working.

High coolant temperature warning light - red
    This light comes on in red if the coolant temperature becomes excessively high. CAUTION: If the light comes on during vehicle operation, it indicates that the engine is possibly overheating. Continued driving could make the engine fail. Immediately stop the vehicle in a safe place and take appropriate action.
    OT: nabasa na kaya niya yong users manual? dapat online na lang kase yan tulad sa mercedes benz para hindi na prini-print at nasasayang ang papel... mas madali pa pag online kase may search and video functions...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2016
    normally new cars don't have a temp gauge like the old models. It will only alert you when it reaches the maximum heat temperature. I suggest to look at your user's manual to see what temperature logo looks like. I don't know if all cars have the same logo whent it comes to temperature.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigg ma View Post
    OT: nabasa na kaya niya yong users manual? dapat online na lang kase yan tulad sa mercedes benz para hindi na prini-print at nasasayang ang papel... mas madali pa pag online kase may search and video functions...
    Hehe most of the people don't spare a time to read the manual. Usually they just sit and drive. Even I is guilty of that but once there's a problem in my car I tend to look up in the manual. It is very helpful though.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    This is the universal symbol for engine temp.

Here's the link to the online manual for the Mirage: Download 215 Mitsubishi Mirage - Owner's Manual PDF (3 Pages)
    Do note that some specifications varies according to vehicle's target market. But for the most part, the manual for the same model car is about 95% identical, worldwide.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    If you prefer real-time temperature reading you should get a Bluetooth OBD dongle + Torque on your smartphone.

Tapatalked

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Having a temp gauge is a bit overrated for these small modern cars. Manufacturers have gotten engine coolant temperature control down to an almost perfect science. A lot of people has a perception that once this indicator blinks red, your engine is toast.

Not so.

When the temp indicator turns red, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's the death of your engine. It is however, heading in that direction if you keep operating the vehicle in that condition.

The key here is to occasionally glance at your instrumentation dials ever so often to make sure that none of the warning or caution lights are on. Whether or not your engine coolant temp is represented by a gauge or just an indicator light, they're of no use if you don't check them and/or act upon them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast