New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hi all,

i'm currently canvassing for a Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for my Strada. I have been using Motul CRDI Specific but recently had issues with my EGR and emission. I think its because this oil isn't API CI-4 rated (designed for EGR).

To date, i have not found an FS engine oil that is both CI-4 rated and at the same time ACEA A3/B4 rated. A lot of users have been suggesting FS oils that are CI-4 rated but these are (usually) ACEA E4/E7/E9. A3/B4 is best for the Strada/Montero engines which are Direct Injection engines.

Is there any such Fully Synthetic oil that is both API CI-4 rated and ACEA A3/B4 rated? Thanks!!

P.S. there are a lot of Mineral oils that are rated as such, but i prefer to have FS for the best performance.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Sir ano naging problem sa emissions and EGR nyo? CRDI specific din gamit ko sa Montero and Santa Fe. No issues encountered so far.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    You can use a variety of oils for the Strada available in both fully syn, semi-syn and mineral as long as they are CI-4 or up. Hindi naman kailangan ng specific brand. But I do use Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck on my Montero.

The emissions/EGR problem that plagues the Montero/Strada is usually the result of using diesel fuel from the big 3 which is only Euro II. Try using Euro IV diesel (available at Unioil and select Eastern Petroleum) and search on EGR blanking.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Manual says API or ACEA, not both. If you want to satisfy what Mitsubishi wants, then use Mitsubishi TurboXP.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpet626 View Post
    Sir ano naging problem sa emissions and EGR nyo? CRDI specific din gamit ko sa Montero and Santa Fe. No issues encountered so far.
    Pasang awa sa emission test ng LTO. and thats right after the 80k check up wherein oil filter, fuel filter and air filter was changed. CRDI specific oil and Petron Turbo diesel din ang gamit. With all of these, disappointing na pasang awa lang sa emission test.

when i called Diamond, sabi baka EGR ang problem. and when i researched, hindi designed for post-combustion technology (such as EGR) ang Motul CRDI specific. Its not CI-4 rated.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Sakin Blanked EGR ko, Unioil Euro 4 fuel and I add 2T to my diesel.

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ek2jayvee View Post
    You can use a variety of oils for the Strada available in both fully syn, semi-syn and mineral as long as they are CI-4 or up. Hindi naman kailangan ng specific brand. But I do use Mobil 1 Turbo diesel truck on my Montero.

The emissions/EGR problem that plagues the Montero/Strada is usually the result of using diesel fuel from the big 3 which is only Euro II. Try using Euro IV diesel (available at Unioil and select Eastern Petroleum) and search on EGR blanking.
    Thanks for your comment. so in your case, ok lang kahit hindi A3/B4 rated yung oil na supposedly for direct injection? Ok ang mga Mobil oil na 'E' ang ACEA rating? and yes, next step for me is to have my EGR system cleaned. thanks again

8. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nivraarvin View Post
    Manual says API or ACEA, not both. If you want to satisfy what Mitsubishi wants, then use Mitsubishi TurboXP.
    ah talaga? in my manual, 2008 Strada GLX, walang 'or' na sabi. Actually CD lang ang sabi sa API. Kaso, commonsense would dictate na dapat CI-4. thanks for your comment.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris008 View Post
    Hi all,

i'm currently canvassing for a Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for my Strada. I have been using Motul CRDI Specific but recently had issues with my EGR and emission. I think its because this oil isn't API CI-4 rated (designed for EGR).

To date, i have not found an FS engine oil that is both CI-4 rated and at the same time ACEA A3/B4 rated. A lot of users have been suggesting FS oils that are CI-4 rated but these are (usually) ACEA E4/E7/E9. A3/B4 is best for the Strada/Montero engines which are Direct Injection engines.

Is there any such Fully Synthetic oil that is both API CI-4 rated and ACEA A3/B4 rated? Thanks!!

P.S. there are a lot of Mineral oils that are rated as such, but i prefer to have FS for the best performance.
    This website might help you a bit :
    Understanding engine oil designations | Motoring | RACQ

In a nut shell these 3 statements in the document can clear up things for you:
    1. As stated API is for the Americans and ACEA is for the Europeans.
    2. The document also tells us that
    "ACEA standards recognise that European engines differ from US (style) engines in both their design and operating conditions and that the demands on their oils are also different. This requires the oils used in European engines to be unique and consequently, the classification system for them also needs to be unique. For this reason it is difficult to compare the common API classification and ACEA standards, as the test sequences for them are quite different."
    3. and finally:
    "While it is common for Japanese vehicle manufacturers to specify engine oils in terms of API oil service classifications, some applications use JASO ratings. This is because API rated oils are not always applicable to Japanese engines, due to variations in engine design and exhaust emission requirements compared to the American engines for which API oils were originally developed"

Its nice to find an FS oil that can satisfy what your looking for (do update us if you find one) but if you can't find one I think its safe to say that at the very least your FS oil should pass the API requirements of your rig since it is a Japanese engine unless it has a specific JASO ratings specs

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    two things...first, as suggested, you can opt to use only what mitsubishi recommends which is turboxp. that is what i use for my glsv....second, find somebody who can have your car registered non apperance, and shall also provide smoke emmission test result for you...expect to pay extra though for the service...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Synthetic Engine Oil for Strada/Montero (Direct Injection Turbo CR Diesel w/ EGR)