New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    any comments.. Subic Pajero for daily driving compare to Starex..

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by acenie View Post
    any comments.. Subic Pajero for daily driving compare to Starex..
    Subic Pajero, 2nd Gen, Matic (Paranaque - Pacific Star Makati - Paranaque), Diesel 2.8l, 5 days a week = Php1250.00

Can't comment on Starex though.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Driving experience is pretty much the same. My daily driver is a '96 Pajero M/T and I get a lot of seat time in an '03 Starex A/T.

Being able to see the Pajero's nose is an advantage but the Starex's shorter nose also has it's good points. Forward visibility on the Starex is better. The taller windshield also allows you to easily see traffic lights.

Backing up the Starex is easy with the large rear glass, backing mirror, and OEM backing sensor. Backing up the Pajero is like staring at your spare tire. and hoping for the best.

The cockpit of the Pajero looks older (1992 vintage) but you get more toys to play with (compass, thermometer, altimeter, inclinometer). The glove box is lockable, there is an armrest for your right arm, and the seat is equipped with its own suspension system. There are also two lighter sockets up front (a third one is in the luggage area). Fiddling with the low-mounted radio is not something you'd like to do while driving.

The Starex has a more modern dashboard (with the ugliest fake wood to ever come out of a fake forest). There are more cubby holes (none are lockable, though). There's even a clipboard on top of the dash (for non-Club/Gold models). Folding the center front seat produces a tray with cup holders but it is not tall enough to comfortably rest your arm on. And just like on a Victory liner bus, controlling the rear AC and rear cabin lights can be done from the driver's seat. The Starex also comes with a front and rear cabin heaters (a device that rarely works on ex-JDM Pajeros).

The Starex feels lighter and faster (it probably is) but the Pajero feels more robust.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Driving experience is pretty much the same. My daily driver is a '96 Pajero M/T and I get a lot of seat time in an '03 Starex A/T.

Being able to see the Pajero's nose is an advantage but the Starex's shorter nose also has it's good points. Forward visibility on the Starex is better. The taller windshield also allows you to easily see traffic lights.

Backing up the Starex is easy with the large rear glass, backing mirror, and OEM backing sensor. Backing up the Pajero is like staring at your spare tire. and hoping for the best.

The cockpit of the Pajero looks older (1992 vintage) but you get more toys to play with (compass, thermometer, altimeter, inclinometer). The glove box is lockable, there is an armrest for your right arm, and the seat is equipped with its own suspension system. There are also two lighter sockets up front (a third one is in the luggage area). Fiddling with the low-mounted radio is not something you'd like to do while driving.

The Starex has a more modern dashboard (with the ugliest fake wood to ever come out of a fake forest). There are more cubby holes (none are lockable, though). There's even a clipboard on top of the dash (for non-Club/Gold models). Folding the center front seat produces a tray with cup holders but it is not tall enough to comfortably rest your arm on. And just like on a Victory liner bus, controlling the rear AC and rear cabin lights can be done from the driver's seat. The Starex also comes with a front and rear cabin heaters (a device that rarely works on ex-JDM Pajeros).

The Starex feels lighter and faster (it probably is) but the Pajero feels more robust.
    Is the Subic Pajero have a 2.8L or a 2.5L Engine and what Gen.?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by acenie View Post
    Is the Subic Pajero have a 2.8L or a 2.5L Engine and what Gen.?
    2.8l, Gen.2...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Diesel ex-JDM GEN II Pajero can be 4d56 (no hoodscoop) or 4m40 (with hoodscoop). All GEN II.5 (blister fender body) are 4m40.

There's also a 4 cylinder gas engine and the V6 in 3.0 and 3.5 flavors. The 3.5 was available with in SOHC and the PITA DOHC version.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think Otep pretty much covered the comparison. Btw, what Starex in particular were you referring to? If it's with the TDIC engine, then the power shouldn't be too far from the Pajero's. But it it's with the CRDI, then that's another story

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The CRDi Starex will run rings around the Pajero's 4d56 and 4m40 engines.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ok, I'v Seen a Subic Pajero w/o the hoodscoop so this means the engine was 4D56 but w/ Intercooler. and how about the conversion, what to check?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    if walang hoodscoop yung pajero...here are a few possibilities.

1. 3.0L V-6 gas
    2. 2.5L turbodiesel...and the scoop to route air from the grill to the top-mount IC is underneath the hood, like the local 2nd gen pajeros
    3. 2.8L turbodiesel...same reason as #2, pero subic model
    4. 2.8L turbodiesel...na local model, but the owner decided to replace the hood with the external scoop to the one with underneath the hood. good for those who want to go "montero-look".
    5. 3.5L V-6 gas (i almost forgot this, hehehe)
    6. 2.6L I-4 gas (like the bare 2nd gen pajeros that the ADB uses)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subic Pajero for daily driving compare to Starex