New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    I just want to know if these mods are ADVISABLE kung ginawa mo to at the same time... what would it do to the engine? better engine performance? longer engine lifespan? to all the TECH GURUS, please enlighten me about these mods... Thank you!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    doing the washer mod is putting your engine to the borderline of safety. so in terms of advisable, generaly not advisable...

Egr mod, when you disable it, you get less carbon. however, there is also a debate over disabling egr will make engine hotter on idle...

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    What's the "WASHER" mod?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Same here what's the washer mode

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    i think the washer mod he was referring to is adjusting the waste gate of the turbo.... if you add a washer the maximum amount of boost is also increased because the spring loaded waste gate will hold more pressure before it vent the excess boost...
    generally not advisable because it will put extra strain on both the turbo,piping and increased pressure to the engine internals...

if the vehicle is diesel, blocking the EGR is a good thing because it will lessen the soot that's going back to your intake manifold, you're engine will breath more fresh air without any exhaust gases...

the downside of this Mod is that, you are actually now increasing the PEAK COMBUSTION TEMPERATURE... EGR provides the engine with a "Quenching Effect" it decreases the peak temperature inside the cylinder when the explosion happens, if there is no recirculated exhaust gases coming from the functional EGR to lower the peak combustion, there will be increase in temperature...
    (how much temperature increase is not known), but it doesn't really affect overall longevity or reliability, personally i have mine blocked off already...

closing/blocking the EGR also increases you fuel consumption... example from 10km/L(no EGR block) to 9.5-9km/L (EGR Blocked)
    especially if the vehicle is quipped with a MAF(mass airflow sensor)...

the ECU reads the air that pass through the MAF(intake) and will provide the necessary exhaust gas amount(through the EGR opening), if the EGR is closed this mechanism will try to compensate by injecting more fuel to compensate for the lack of volume of air that the ECU is programmed to...

THE EGR IS CLOSED WHEN
    1. IDLING (if its open during idling the engine will be vibrating and misfiring)
    2. WOT( wide open throttle during acceleration) you need more power so EGR is closed to promote more fresh air to engine
    3. speeds in excess of 100kph( more power is needed so ECU closes EGR to provide power against drag)

THE EGR IS OPEN WHEN
    1. DECELERATING( FUEL ECONOMY)
    2. COASTING (FUEL ECONOMY) speed from 50-90KM/L
    3. PARTIAL LOAD ( FUEL ECONOMY) light throttle input when power is not that much needed by engine

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Thanks miko. Very informative

7. Join Date
    May 2012
    miko101130,
    How is EGR Blocking performed?
    Thanks for that excellent information.

Pajero washer mod + egr blocking=???