New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    :hi: Hello, tsikoteers. I’m a newbie, and a noob about cars so any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

You see, my friend is considering on buying a car in the near future and I have been given the task of researching about it, meaning looking it up on the web.

I have been visiting the site a lot and have mostly been reading about cars we are interested in. I think the Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 GLS CVT would be perfect for my friend, she would be a first time driver and possibly first time car owner.

Any advise on getting this particular car, a good dealer, and how we should go about buying one would be great and also, what do you guys think about getting one that’s pre-owned? Do you think it’s wise? And if you think its okay, do you know a place that sells this particular car?

Any help would be amazing. Thank you!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    she's a first time car owner and driver? tell her to get a vios or a jazz.
    her other options would be a hyundai i10.

what does she prefer? an AT or an MT? a CVT kasi drives differently from the usual AT.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Oh. I had the impression a CVT is the same as an A/T. But yeah, she wants an automatic. She likes the Lancer, aesthetically she thinks it looks really nice and she wants something dependable since we both don't know anything about cars.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll tell her about it ;)

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    since she's looking to buy a brand new car, any of the japanese brands would be a good choice. it'll all boil down to her personal preferences - wants and needs:

- looks (looks like the lancer's at the top of her list)
    - engine displacement (1.1, 1.3, 1.6, etc.). personally, i'd go for a 1.6. hindi masyadong malakas sa gas and nandyan ang power.
    - safety features like ABS, air bags, etc.
    - size - # and size of passengers (adults, kids)? amount of cargo?
    - car usage - more city driving or more out of town trips?
    - resale value (unless she's looking to own this car for as long as it can run)
    - price

i would suggest for her to test drive all the cars that she has in mind. or at least go to a showroom and see for herself the car. that will help a lot.

fyi, a few months ago i was 90% sure of getting a 1.3E vios. nong bibili na ko i looked at the other brands. i instead ended up with the 1.6 glx lancer. it's only 3 weeks old, and so far i'm happy with it. pero kung kaya ng budget ko, i would've gotten the altis.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    If your friend wants dependability, go for Toyota or Honda. Especially if she’s a first time driver, chances are that she’s also not familiar on how to maintain it, so service will be a problem in the future.

[SIZE=2]In my opinion, Honda Jazz really looks good for lady drivers. [/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    iba po ba ang CVT sa usual A/T? nakabili kami ng second hand na 2003 lancer GLS CVT 1.6......first car ko siya at ok naman...wala naman problem...sana lang tumagal ang kotse...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sum1_27 View Post
    iba po ba ang CVT sa usual A/T? nakabili kami ng second hand na 2003 lancer GLS CVT 1.6......first car ko siya at ok naman...wala naman problem...sana lang tumagal ang kotse...

FYI, when they say CVT, or VVTi, or VTEC, they are referring to the engine cylinder valve timing technology for Mitsu, Toyota, and Honda resp. This is how they justify the fuel efficiencies they are claiming. Just my opinion.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by armando_solis View Post
    FYI, when they say CVT, or VVTi, or VTEC, they are referring to the engine cylinder valve timing technology for Mitsu, Toyota, and Honda resp. This is how they justify the fuel efficiencies they are claiming. Just my opinion.
    hindi yata ganon. ang engine cylinder valve timing tech ng mitsu ay mivec so yan ang kalinya ng vvti and vtec. ang honda at ibang brands din naman eh may CVT.

ang CVT naman ay continuous variable transmission. ito yata yung transmission na may iba-ibang mode sa gear ratios kaya mas complicated ito sa normal ato transmissions, at mas prone ito sa wear kung madiin ka lagi sa gas.

Yun lang po ang alam ko at hindi ako sigurado

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    brand new? all new Jazz or City would be perfect for you lady friend.

http://www.hondaphil.com/

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by armando_solis View Post
    You got the last two correctly...those are different flavors of variable valve timing. But CVT is on the other side of the engine bay.

CVT stands for continuously variable transmission. It doesn't have gears but instead have pulleys and belts. They drive differently because with CVT, you can just stay on a certain rpm and the tranny will still make the car accelerate, because the gear ratios are constantly changed to give more speed even on the same rpm whereas in a "conventional" 'matic, gear ratios dictate the moving speed relative to engine speed hence there is a "fixed" proportionality between engine rpm and the car's speed.

Maybe what you were referring to was MIVEC, Mitsu's own version of variable valve timing. It stands for "Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control system". Got that from Wikipedia.

Considering the TS's friend is a lady, maybe she could consider the Yaris. I wouldn't recommend a conventional "notchback" i.e. a 3-box car or what we call a car with a trunk. She would be just starting to practice basics of driving, and parking a notchback car will be much more difficult for someone with no experience. Why, you ask? Because visibility of the rear extremities is very limited, and the driver must have a clear idea where the true rear end is. In a hatchback, it is much easier to picture the rear end since the hatch is pretty much the marker for the car's rear dimension.

Also, Toyotas are reliable enough for first-time drivers so maintenance won't be an issue.

Alternative: Honda Jazz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
A newbie here