New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2010
    hi guys. i need help. im new here and to this kind of stuffs. all of this.

im looking to buy my first car. gusto ko sana mitsubishi glxi itlog type.
    yun lang kasi ang pasok sa budget.

so please guys, sana matulungan nio ko. pros and cons. tsaka ano ano po ba ang titingnan pag bibili ng oto? kahit ano lang po na pwede makatulong sa akin. please give me advice. para makasiguro ako bago bumili. i dont have an idea where and how to start.

i know it sounds noob. but yes i am. student lang po 21y/o. from laguna.
    any help will be appreciated. maraming salamat. im new here in the forum as well.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Avoid the lancer itlog first. It had known suspension problems, and that could lead you to costly repairs especially if the previous owner didn't take the car that well.

Your next choice might be the Honda ESi. Pros of this vehicle is it's abundant parts and easy-to-mod look. Cons would be it's rusting on the roof & fender.

Corolla XE/GLi might be your best bet as of now. Not being biased at all but I have proven it's reliability with the 13 year of ownership. :2thumbsup: Power is adequate and space is laaarge. But since you're still a student, having a big space isn't really your preference.

Other options would be the Mazda Astina. I really don't know much about this vehicle but all I can say is I love the pop up headlights.

-

... since you're still a student and I guess you'll love modding vehicles too in the future, you can opt for the Civic ESi as of now. Just see if there are any accumulating rusts on the fender and especially on the roof. ;)

Goodluck.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    para sa akin wag na lang lancer glxi itlog unless kung kilala mo yun bibilan at alaga niya glxi niya..basahin mo yun mga thread ng lancer itlog baka mabago isip mo..
    dahil student ka para sakin corolla xe matipid pa sa gas dahil 1.3 lang makina pasok sa allowance para sa gas..maluwag ang loob..simple lang din ang maintainance kesa sa lancer glxi itlog olat ka dun di bale na lang kung kilala mo talaga ang bibilan mo

syempre sayo pa rin ang huling desisyon

hth

4. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Check for Oil leaks, Bubbles in the paint job, squeaks & kalampag pag test drive, smoke belching, upod ng goma kung di pantay, overall tayo ng kotse yung height clearances ng mga gulong sa fender, OR &CR, and kung naka sakay ka yung over all feel kung comfortable and relax ka.

Quote Originally Posted by dashwood03 View Post
    hi guys. i need help. im new here and to this kind of stuffs. all of this.

im looking to buy my first car. gusto ko sana mitsubishi glxi itlog type.
    yun lang kasi ang pasok sa budget.

so please guys, sana matulungan nio ko. pros and cons. tsaka ano ano po ba ang titingnan pag bibili ng oto? kahit ano lang po na pwede makatulong sa akin. please give me advice. para makasiguro ako bago bumili. i dont have an idea where and how to start.

i know it sounds noob. but yes i am. student lang po 21y/o. from laguna.
    any help will be appreciated. maraming salamat. im new here in the forum as well.

5. Join Date
    May 2010
    sir renzo, adapilado and blue gambit. thanks very much for quick reply. or should i say, very fast reply. makakatulong lahat yan sakin. salamat talaga. even though I'm not really familiar with the terms. some of it hindi ko alam.

anyway, mga sir, ung corolla XE ba, 91 model or 94 up? correct me na lang if Im wrong. ok nga yun dahil 1.3 matipid sa gas. now im enlighten.

ok din ung honda ESI, maganda pormahan. medyo mas mahal nga lang compare sa corolla?

I really doubt magkakamali ako sa pagbili ng oto. thats why im posting here to get some help. wala rin ako kilala na mekaniko na pwede ko pagtanungan or isama sa pag-tingin. nor friend na may kotse. now my only hope is here. i keep reading some posts here sa forum. im just having a hard time to understand.

sana makapagbigay pa kayo ng mga tips, or help me familiarize with the parts or whatever it is na kailangan ko malaman. again thank you.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Corolla AE92/EE90 are released years 1989 - 1992. Eto yung smallbody kung tawagin.
    XL/XE - 2E Engine ( 1.3L )
    GLi - 4AF ( carburetor powered -, 1.6L )

Corolla AE101/EE100 are released years 1993 - 1997. Eto yung big body kung tawagin. However, may changes siya na nagstart ng late 1995. From amber/red tail lights naging white/red. Eto yung kung tawagin ay world class tail lights, grilles bumpers etc.

Oo nga pala, iba na din grilles ng late 95-97 Corollas vs. dun sa 93 - early 95.

Stock engines for AE101's are the ff:

XL/XE - 2E engine ( 1.3L Carb )
    GLi - 4AFE ( 1.6L EFi )

-

BTW. Yes ESi's are more expensive that 101's despite it's age. Honda kasi. But if you're planning in getting one, get the stock ESi's never opt for the modded ones. Mahirap na kasi kapag modded lalo na kung engine mods na. Baka may ginalaw na hindi dapat.

Also, watch out for it's rusting that accumulates in the roof and in the fenders. Known na sakit ito sa ESi's, causes is still unknown.

BTW. Here's a list I made on what you should look out for on 2nd hand vehicles.

-

In buying a second hand vehicles, it is important to consider some facts first.

1. It is very hard to spot a flooded vehicle from the not-flooded ones. Especially if, this has been cleaned completely.
    The best thing to do ? Look at the place, ask some people there if that particular place has been flooded or not, if it is
    avoid the vehicle ASAP.

2. In buying a 2nd hand vehicle, it doesn't stop from paying the vehicle itself ... the spending of money goes on and on.
    And, in buying a 2nd hand vehicle, expect repairs.

3. A car, isn't an INVESTMENT. You don't really get money from it, unless you`re planning to keep it for several years
    until it becomes vintage already.

4. Stay cool in driving. You'll never know what you might encounter, so the very best thing to do to avoid road rage is
    keeping your head cool as possible. Take a cup of coffee if you want, or yet ... don't drive if you're experiencing personal
    problems.

-

Now, to see if the vehicle is in it's greatest condition ... you must do the following.

1. Check odometer readings. But don't just rely on this ... some, tampers this to lower the reading itself for them to fool
    buyers.

2. Before you bring a trusted mechanic with you, it's better if you check the basic parts of the vehicle first. The power
    features if it's working, dents on the body, scratches, squeeking sound if any. Those basic things wont really be
    needing a mechanic, a good ear and a good eye will do.

3. Check the engine if there are any problems. This will need you the mechanic. Let him check if there are any things
    that needs replacing ... list it down, count the cost then minus it from the total price of the vehicle.

4. Check also the brakes. Check if its forming rust etc. Especially in drum brakes.

5. Check also the other electrical stuffs. The radio, is it working ? The power antennas ( if available ) etc.

6. Aircon too, check it. Is it cool enough for the cabin or does it need cleaning already or freon additions.

7. Test drive. You need to push the car to 100kph. Here, you can see if there is any wiggling issues.
    Also do check the idling of the vehicle ? Too harsh or is it just normal ?

8. Check vehicle history. You can go to the LTO to check it.

9. Haggle the price down. The lower the better.

©Renzo_d10

7. Join Date
    May 2010
    thanks very much sir. this will help, i mean big time! salamat talaga. i'll follow your guide. +respect for u!

BTW, honda 91 EF sedan/hatch. ok din? what do u think?

or corolla 89-92?

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    dashwood03:

hehe sarap ng feeling mo niyan pagnakabili ka na... yung Lancer GLi 93 model and unang brand new ko na kotse... makalampag yan talaga parang taxing sira ang suspension niyan....

i agree with the suggestions here... go for the Toyota Corollas or Honda Civics... madaming surplus parts hindi masakit sa bulsa maintain... good luck bro!

Ako nagkakotse 29 yrs old na... mahirap ang buhay nung araw eh... hehe (those were the days when having a car is a SYMBOL OF SUCCESS...)

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dashwood03 View Post
    thanks very much sir. this will help, i mean big time! salamat talaga. i'll follow your guide. +respect for u!

BTW, honda 91 EF sedan/hatch. ok din? what do u think?

or corolla 89-92?
    Mahal pa rin ang EF Sedans. May 130K++ pa nga eh.

And, medyo rare din parts nun.

My suggestions would be the ff ( in particular order )

1. Toyota Corolla GLi 1993 - 1997 ( bigbody, AE101, EE100 )
    2. Honda Civic ESi ( 1993 - 1995 )
    3. Toyota Corolla GLi 1989 - 1992 ( smallbody, AE92, EE90 )
    4. Nissan Sentra Series 2
    5. Nissan Sentra Series 3
    6. Honda Civic EK ( this will be in the 2nd place kung kaya ng budget, hehe )
    7. Ford Lynx Ghia ( again, kung kaya )

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    dsdelacruz1:

i agree with you sir. im so excited and nervous at the same time. first car eh.
    salamat sa tips. buti talaga nag-tanong muna ako dito. hoping makahanap ako ng car na maayos para sa akin. gusto ko talaga makasiguro.

anyway, ask ko lang, pwede ba maghire ng mechanic? and how?
    TIA

need help/advice for my first car