New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    At ten years in existence, is it still practical and fulfilling to buy a secondhand Mits. Eclipse?
    • Maintenance
    • Reliability
    • Parts
    • Other concerns???
    Pls. advise.

Cheers!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fodyv View Post
    At ten years in existence, is it still practical and fulfilling to buy a secondhand Mits. Eclipse?
    • Maintenance
    • Reliability
    • Parts
    • Other concerns???
    Pls. advise.

Cheers!
    Maintenance - since it's a ten year old car, the turbocharged engine will probably need some parts to be replaced now or soon. Depending on the previously owner, you might also want to have the auto tranny checked as well.

Parts - most of the parts are Galant (of the same year model) compatible like the suspension and some engine stuff.

Other concerns - fuel consumption. Unless you drive it lightly, it is a fuel guzzler. Rear seats aren't useful except for very short trips and as extra baggage space.

What is your goal with this car? If you are still single, I guess its ok IF fuel price is not a problem for you.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fodyv View Post
    • Maintenance
    • Reliability
    • Parts
    • Other concerns???
    Pls. advise.

Cheers!
    I had an eclipse before and i can tell you it's a totally fun car. If you plan it as a spare car then it is all good but for it as a practical car then it is lacking on this department.

Maintenance - Fully synthetic oil change every 5k kms coupled with replacement of colder range spark plugs

reliability - The only thing I replaced on this car was the idle speed motor that keeps the idling constant. It seems that this is a problem with Mitsu cars in the 90's.

Parts - Plenty of brand new and surplus parts in Banawe, even online.

This car has plenty of potential and drives good in stock form. The only thing I did'nt like was the torque steer when I punch it WOT(wide open throttle) , this being a FWD car.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If it's secondhand, I can think of quite a few things that you'll need to check... the water pump, the cooling system in general, the head gasket, the turbo, etcetera... if those are okay, any other issue is just a minor inconvenience.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    BTW, the car can be very thirsty if you like flooring the throttle often enough. Something to consider if this will be used often.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Pogi pa rin ang Eclipse

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Maintenance - since it's a ten year old car, the turbocharged engine will probably need some parts to be replaced now or soon. Depending on the previously owner, you might also want to have the auto tranny checked as well.

Parts - most of the parts are Galant (of the same year model) compatible like the suspension and some engine stuff.

Other concerns - fuel consumption. Unless you drive it lightly, it is a fuel guzzler. Rear seats aren't useful except for very short trips and as extra baggage space.

What is your goal with this car? If you are still single, I guess its ok IF fuel price is not a problem for you.
    Ghosthunter, thanks for the info....quite more for the negative purchase compared to buying a brand new Jap car for a son, huh?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by melrome View Post
    Pogi pa rin ang Eclipse
    Melrome, how true! That's exactly why i find it to be an interesting investment for a weekend car. My reservations are based on feedbacks that the mitsubishi engines don't endure the tropicality of the phil. climate. Thanks a lot!

9. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Ceepawn, your inputs are very encouraging,....are you connected with mitsubishi??? Just kidding. Thanks mucho for the advise, makes me want to buy one, now.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Niky, your inputs are well appreciated, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mits. Eclipse '98_Still a Good Buy???