New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I bought a Subic Pajero last Jaunary (2008). It is 1991 model in Japan and 1996 here.

My problem is with my automatic transmission. I first noticed that on a steep angle, while in drive but with my foot off the pedal, the pajero would move backwards-downwards. Some mechanic told me that it may be the pressure plate or the clutch lining. But others say that matics have no clutch lining. A repair shop in QC said I need to replace the whole tranny for about 30-40K. I wanted them to look at the tranny first but they wouldn't so I let it go and left the problem as is.

Much later, the problem worsened and I can feel disks slipping if I step on the gas too hard. I was able to talk to a mechanic who asked a lot of question and said it is either the pressure plate or clutch lining. Unfortunately, he is bound to return to dubai so he recommended a "friend". That friend was supposed to take a look but suddendly insisted that I buy a surplus. I just felt that he wants some easy money.

Recently, I talked to a mechanic who said that a cable is missing. I forgot what that cable is called but it has something to do with the proper shifting of gears in matic transmissions. He recommended a repair kit which will cost 50-80K to a surplus 40-50k because with a new kit youy are assured that parts replaced are new. But he insisted that I must find a mechanic familair with the missing cable bec without it, clutch linings w2ill wear out fast bec of improper shifting of gears.

The last mechanic I talked to offered to replace the entire transmission for 30K, However, having bad experiences with my Pajero - it being subic and mechanics seems to take advantage of that by always painting an excessively bleak picture of whatever problems I have, I am not usre where to have my problems fixed.

Can anyone help? Where can I find a good mechanic?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    hindi kaya naka activate ang 4wheel drive button ng pajero mo? ano yung 4 wheel blinking nya sa dashboard?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    have you done the atf+filter change lately? measured the levels properly? smelled your atf?

I suggest you look for a surplus tranny yourself. make a really super super effort hunting in all shops, even small surplus shops... scrutinize, scrutinize, scrutinize... you should produce sweat and blood looking for the best deal...

then find a mechanic for labor only... and you will be saving up to 50%...

or go for manual tranny nalang, basta 4d56t engine, walang problema... kahit sa hyundai galloper, puwede dyan...
    Last edited by rion; January 7th, 2009 at 06:57 AM.

Help. Pajero tranny