New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    dear tsikoteers,

I badly need the your help! My family has a 4wd delica and it will soon undergo major engine changes and a transmission conversion from automatic to manual, also from 4wd it will be made into a 2wd. Here's the major issues I need help with;

1) Our mechanic has advised to change from our turbo 4d56 to a na one, since we're having a really hard time with the turbo engine. He even said that the hyundai's 2.5 liter diesel will be ok???

2) I'm no mechanic but i'm concerned if the engine( 4d56 na or hyundai's 2.5) with the mated transmission will be sufficient to drive the delica's body because it is fitted with the usual big tires that come with the 4wd variant?

3) if ever that the hyundai engine is not a good choice, which 4d56 type with manual transmission would u recommend? please specify the year model it came from and the price.

4) Has anyone tried converting their delica, from a 4wd automatic to a 2wd manual?

please respond soon because our delica is gonna go under the knife next week!

thanks and more power!

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I used to know this surplus store in our province who converted all their 2.5 box type delica's to manual. I already forgot how they do it and from what tranny, but I remember tranny convertion was easier than a Pajero.

why change engine? sira na po ba? why not buy another surplus delica engine? atleast you are 100% sure fitting will not be a problem.

and try asking *
    delicaclubphils.proboards58.com

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    yup. sira na kasi siya. we already changed the engine before but we got a lemon. one surplus dealer did suggest that we change to the 4d56/automatic that doesn't have a computer box? but we later found out that the only way this will work is if the delica has the same setup, hence we opted for a tranny change na din. also, the 4wd transfer case and diff weighed an easy 150kgs that's why the shift to 2wd.
    thanks for the info! i'll check it out!

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    sir cbgavin saan po area ninyo? dito sa manila dame makina

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Correct me if I'm wrong... I read somewhere that the hyundai 2.5 liter diesel (from the starex?) is actually a 4d56

bakit di mo nalang benta yang delica na yan at bumili ka ng hyundai grace?? dami mo papagawa e.. ginogoyo ka ng mekaniko mo! madami nga dyan nangangarap nang turbo sa 4D56 nila e!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    you mean it will be your third engine?

wow that's a headache bro.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yeah! Maybe it would be best if you just sell that! That's a big headache man! I think alwayz_yummy's correct. I, myself, also prefer a turbo in my 4D56 but unfortunately, I don't have the budget. Maybe that mechanic only wants to profit out of your turbo 4d56. What seems to be the problem anyway? The pistons? Cams? Crankshaft? The block itself? Tell us the whole story why he advised you to replace that. Also, seek opinion with other mechanics. Some mechanics tend to abuse their naive customer, making them spend more money than making them save money. I think replacing the transmission, changing from 4wd to 2wd and swapping for another engine would cost you more than buying a second hand Hyundai Grace, Toyota Hi-Ace or a Mitsubishi L300 Versa Van.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by scharnhorst View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong... I read somewhere that the hyundai 2.5 liter diesel (from the starex?) is actually a 4d56
    they are really the same. hyundai d4bx is exactly the same as mitsubishi 4d56. however, d4bx surplus is only around 25-30k while 4d56 is around 35-40k. i think a 4x4 d4bx is a better option. im pretty sure the diff will match. to be sure, ask a mechanic about it.

Help with our Delica's 4d56 engine