New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    It may not be necessarily a flop but i am also puzzled by the fact that after months of its launched, i have seen only three. It is a great car as i had the opportunity to test drove one during the 2nd Motor Show at WTC. Fast and very responsive ang engine. Well I may not like the exterior look especially the front side, but overall its a good car. Maybe because the timing of its launching. It coincided with the weekly increased in oil prices and it comes only with a 2 liter engine. Well, we are more concerned now with fuel economy. We were a Mitsubishi diehard before. Had a 76 L type in the 80's while my father was driving then a 78 Galant. I still remember that they were battling it out with Toyota for the No.1 position. I hope that Mitsubishi rethink their marketing strategy. Its been a long time.

It's a gas guzzler. Mas fuel efficient ang competitors na Civic and Altis.

And sales in the past half-year has really switched to fuel efficient cars.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    #1 reason siguro, it was launched here kasi when fuel prices is more than P55/liter.
    #2 reason is very late na rin ito inilabas dito sa pinas.
    #3 reason, the price.

mga die-hard mitsubishi lancer people lang siguradong bibili nito sa ngayon.
    and probably, those who wants to be different sa road which is crowded with civics&altis? para kang naka-VW big beetle dito, heads will turn as it passby.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would say, its the price. iba ang range ng market nya.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Some reasons in my opinion are:

1. availability
    2. price
    3. established na ang Honda and Toyota

Kookie Ramirez has a GT by the way

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    We can't blame the high price guys mainly it's because it's a CBU from Japan unlike its counterpart were mostly from thailand. And it's really true the 2 liter segment isn't doing well in the market coz people nowadays are more sensitive to FC issue. The new Lancer are really intended for race or speed enthusiast.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motegi View Post
    .....The new Lancer are really intended for race or speed enthusiast.
    I tend to agree on this. Its just that it isn't marketed as a "family sedan".

Parang niche market na and 2.0 L and higher displacement sedans. Reason: Fuel consumption. Toyota is smart enough to recognized this as their top-of the-line Altis is only 1.8L.

At 1.1-1.2M price range, a CUV or crossover vehicle is a better option for family use.

Sino na lang ang tumatangkilik? Mga binatilyo at mga "feeling binata ang lifestyle"..

And they have to compete with the likes of the Focus TDCI and the Subarus with a racing creed.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    so far 2 pa lang nakikita ko dito sa amin sa Davao, isang black and isang white

9. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    For it's niche market, it's gaining a following. For Baguio, AFAIK, there are 8 units. 7 GT-As, and 1 GT. I'll try to get the exact figures. As for seeing it on the road, it's rare. One reason is the wait time for a unit. But we'll most likely be seeing them soon. As compared to Civics, it's as rare as the 2.0.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm seeing more and more Lancers... so much for being a flop.

One must remember, though, that this category itself is a "flop"... Honda had to drop the manual Civic 2.0 because nobody was buying it. Ford doesn't sell a whole lote of Focus TDCis, despite the proven real-world economy and power. Mazda only sells Mazda3s based on the looks, but sales of the 2.0 are slowing. Chevrolet completely dropped the 1.8 because of poor sales.

Big engine + small car = unconvinced buyers. Which is a shame. A good manual transmission in a 2 liter car can give you fuel economy that's not categorically worse than a 1.6 (i used to get up to 16 km/l on the NLEX when I was stock... exactly the same as some 1.6 ATs... and better than most).

Oh well... their loss.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Is the 2008 Lancer a market flop??