New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/18/un.reform/index.html

What arrogance!

okay, maybe the UN really is in need of urgent reform (maybe, maybe not), but blackmail? to put things in perspective, this is the same country that chose to forego the UN when it went to war with iraq. tsk tsk.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mbt, according to the article, the Bush Admin will not even support such threats which are being made by the US Senate.

Parang unfair yata kapatid if you have to bring up the Iraq issue dahil mismong Admin hindi naman aprubado itong so called 'blackmail' US Senate Bill.

A senator said he will introduce the measure in the Senate, where it must pass before going to the White House for the president's approval, but the Bush administration has signaled it does not support such threats.

And to put another thing in perspective, US is the same country who built the UN. I cant remember the last time UN had done anything to protect the nations. Maybe somebody here can remind me

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    karding,

yeah, i noted that the administration is against this move, pero kung matuloy ito, i'd think that bottom line is that it would still be the US' move. i mean, even if it was bush's decision to go to war in iraq, ultimately, i'd think it was with the blessing of the american people. at least, the US congress also voted to go to war over iraq without the UN. am i making sense? hehe, pasensya na, alas tres na ng gabi hehehe

ano bang gagawin ni bush kung pumasa sa senate ito? veto?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    he might veto it.

i don't agree with withholding dues either. parang breach of contract eh

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mga tsong, dati naman nang kulang ang binabayad ng US sa obligasyon nito sa UN, lalo na pag hindi nasunod ang gusto nila sa general assembly. may time pa nga nanotorious na yan, US, Russia, France, UK. kung sino pa ang permanent member ng UN security council ay sila pa ang manunuba.

buti pa nga ang mahihirap na bansa kumpleto ang bayad. ang pinas mahirap pero never pa yata nagkulang o na-late. pero ang america, naku po balasubas yan pag dating sa pagbabayad sa UN ng kanilang membership fee.

so ano yan, gagawin lang nilang official policy nila kung sakali. but it is an old practice.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    how much ba ang membership sa UN?
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depende sa economy ng country and the committees that they are permanent members of. i read before (UN report something) the US' yearly dues was $250M. but they only pay a small amount (more in the vicinity of $50M), never did they pay the whole fee. that was their way of pressuring the secretary general to submit to their demands.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    here is a good read just to avoid misconceptions

http://www.un.org/geninfo/ir/ch5/ch5.htm

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    mbt, according to the article, the Bush Admin will not even support such threats which are being made by the US Senate.

Parang unfair yata kapatid if you have to bring up the Iraq issue dahil mismong Admin hindi naman aprubado itong so called 'blackmail' US Senate Bill.
    These U.S. legislators are a joke!! The U.S. hasn't been paying its UN dues properly for a loooooooooooong time anyway. I think it's pretty clear to most countries (apart from those pro-Bush people) that this is a response to the fact that MOST countries in the UN opposed a morally reprehensible war in Iraq.

And -- in case you did not know: the Bushies are opposing this bill because they want Bush to be given the power to decide whether or not to withhold UN dues (the Bushies don't want the US Congress to be the one to decide).

This is the perfect example of an arrogant rich guy -- they think they're better than anyone else and above the law because they have more money. Tsk, tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Karding
    And to put another thing in perspective, US is the same country who built the UN. I cant remember the last time UN had done anything to protect the nations. Maybe somebody here can remind me
    How can the UN protect the Palestinians (for example) when the U.S. has been exercising its veto so that Israel can't be stopped from inflicting its policies on a poorer people?
    Last edited by creepy; June 19th, 2005 at 01:07 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    may membership fee expense pala Pilipinas sa UN. pati pala ito kelangan i-raise ng taxes natin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Yabang! US House wants to blackmails UN by not paying its dues