New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    it won't take off. kelangan ng wind drag to lift the airplane, walang kwenta kung mabilis ang gulong pero wala naman hangin.
    agree on this one.. kelangan nga ng uplift para madala pataas.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hmmm.... di ba ang airplane eh propelled through the air and not using the road? tingin ko lilipad pa rin since support lang naman ang function ng gulong... agree ako sa post ni niky... trick question to

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    From: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...4&fpart=1&vc=1

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
    belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
    speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
    in the opposite direction) instantly.

Will the plane be able to take off?
    The answer is no. Bernoulli's principle is not in effect. Hence, no lift.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by badsekktor View Post
    hmmm.... di ba ang airplane eh propelled through the air and not using the road? tingin ko lilipad pa rin since support lang naman ang function ng gulong... agree ako sa post ni niky... trick question to
    how could it generate drag if the plane is stationary and only the wheels are spinning?

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    From: http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...4&fpart=1&vc=1

A plane is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
    belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
    speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
    in the opposite direction) instantly.

Will the plane be able to take off?
    No, because the conveyoy that serves as runway only equals the thrust

generated by the aircraft thus no enough air attacks the wing that can

produce lift.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    yes! a big yes! lalo na kung VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) ang aircraft like the harrier hahaha!

levity aside, i agree with niky.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    But the airplane isn't wheel driven. It's driven by pushing against the air, not the road.

Here's another way to put it... I'm holding a rope attached to a wall in front of me, with my feet touching a conveyor belt... I move forward by going hand-over-hand along the rope with roller skates on, and standing on the conveyor belt.

The conveyor is moving in the opposite direction at the same speed as my roller skate wheels... or better yet, faster than I can pull. The question: is it possible for me to move forward?

Is it impossible for a water skier to pull himself forward along a line, with the water moving under him faster than he can go hand-over-hand?

C'mon. The bigger question is: Why would you say I can't? :hihihi:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Again, the conveyor is supposed to only match the plane's speed, and it only acts on the plane's wheels. Thus, the wheels are moving twice as fast, but the plane is still moving at the same speed.

Duh, my mistake, the answer should be NO... because by the time the plane has reached its 150 mph take-off speed, the wheels are going 300 mph, and they'll overheat, blow-out, and the wheel hubs will catch in the conveyor belt, causing it to seize, and tons of metal airplane and steel-plated conveyor belt strips will be flying through the air at speeds of over 100 mph...

I can just imagine it now...

----

Again, trick question... because the conveyor moves with speed, and speed does not equal force. That's why a water skier can be doing 40 mph over the water while only holding on to a line with arms that can't even push him at 10 mph... because he's exerting more force on the line with his arms than the water is exerting on his feet.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    That's another info to store.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    in short you will need an anchor to stop a plane from taking off not some some sort of conveyor belt.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Will the Airplane Fly??????????