New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksie
    kung ayaw niyo gawin taxi sasakyan niyo better buy a 2 door, a luxury sedan or suv's dito sa pinas
    Corect! Masyado na talaga ang kayabangan ng ibang pinoy. Kung entry level leng ang binili mong kotse don't expect it not to be used as a taxi, especially Toyota.
    If you want class buy luxury sedan or expensive sports car. But even luxury sedans can also be used as rentals or hotel service. Its really a matter of pagiinarte and kayabangan.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i dont' mind. at least makikita yun spots ng vehicle dahil parang accelerated ang aging niya.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by nugundam93
    ozcity: not that i don't like the car, in fact, i like it, yun lang talaga, di ako kasya sa vios eh. sagad knees ko against the dash kahit adjusted na yung seat. hehehehehe...

magpapayat na kaya ako...? :lol:

pang malaking sasakyan ka lang daw kasi james...

u know... TOYS for the BIG BOYS.. hehehehe

4. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Di kaya dahil - pag 'taxi' common/pang-masa. Yung iba siguro may tendency na dapat kakaiba ang dating, or di pang-masa. Kaya ayaw ng sasakyan na ginagawang taxi.

Para sa kin naman, wala lang kung taxi sya o hindi, basta yung sasakyan na tama para sa kin ang kinukuha ko. Eh ano kung taxi, sige nga pabanguhan ng loob! (dami ko yatang stock na ambpur heh he)

5. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    siguro, mababa ang tingin ng iba sa mga taxi drivers. kaya ayaw makapareho ng sasakyan.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    but some people make it a basis that the car is reliable... Honda lang talaga ang ayaw... di tuloy masubukan kung talagang matibay at ma-aasahan...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    aku nga eh super carry pickup lng sasakyan ko. wahahah nasa tao lng yan. di makontento sa kanilang rides, kilangan medyo kakaiba ang dating. pinoy nga. ;)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke
    I can't understand this. Why do people who own low-end cars (myself included) complain when their cars are used as taxicabs?

This was Honda's strategy; they let you sign an agreement barring you from using their cars as taxicabs, and fool you into that "prestige" bull$hit that's nonexistent in the first place.

Take the Vios owners. When Vioses (Vioii?) were used as taxis everyone complained. What's the big deal? Did the car suddenly lose its "prestige"? Did it have it in the first place? In thailand the Altis is used as taxi...

I think pinoys put too much emphasis on the "projection of outward looks", pakitang-tao.
    It isnt just Pinoys that are obsessed with prestige. A lot of nationalities are conscious about it too.

As for the cabs well you have to understand that a lot of local cabs are ill maintained, smell bad, look bad and driven by lousy drivers. This isnt the case in Europe where the E Class and 5 Series are used as cabs. They're normally well maintained, smell good, look good and driven by average to above average drivers.

I've been to Bangkok recently and ALL the taxis I saw & ridden were well maintained, smell good (or no stench at all), look good and driven by average to above average drivers. I'm guessing they have a law forcing them to be at their best.

Having a no-taxi clause also helped in keeping depreciation on Hondas low. SiRs go for high 400s and low 500 levels. That's astonishing for an econobox. It also allows Honda to charge a premium above other Asian brands.

Brand equity helps out too. In such a tight market you have to find ways to differentiate yourself as a cut above the rest and Honda has done a superb job at that. I think Toyota got that part seeming I don't see Toyota Altis' as cabs.

The funny thing about this thread is that a lot of people here talk like they're not Filipino.

As for a Ferrari/Lambo taxi I believe some owners let paying customers ride their cars for charity. The famed Nubergring has two BMW M5s (E60) as taxis.

Our local (general Filipino) perception will only change if the taxis we have will improve in appearance, cleanliness, driver competence, etc.
    Last edited by OTO; May 25th, 2005 at 11:00 PM.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Yes the brand has to differentiate itself, but what's unfortunate is that pinoys actually fall for this honda psuedo-"prestige" nonsense. It's as if it was specifically engineered for the pinoy mentality to take advantage of pinoys. In the end the consumer loses since it has to pay more for this false prestige.

That's for course from a consumer's POV....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    You must also remember that the bulk of the local automotive market cannot afford Honda's prestige badge which is the Acura or buy an (in alphabetical order) Audi, BMW or Mercedes-Benz. Honda came very late to the automotive industry. They had to break the image that Hondas are only good for inexpensive motorcycles and tractors. So what they did was make sure it became a prestigious brand for locals. Having a no-taxi clause worked wonders. Charging a bit more causes a buzz.

Pushing the Civic upmarket also dissuaded the boy racer image the Civic was developing locally. The Civic ,locally ,has matured to a entry-middle management japanese car. That's my guess why we dont have a SiR replacement from Honda and we ended up with a 2.0L VTi-S automatic. What's so boy racer w/ a matic? That's also my guess why we dont have Civic hatches or Civic coupes. Other than the fact that Filipinos want seating capacity (case in point AUVs).

Speaking of AUVs remember the ruckus when Honda brought in the "AUV" version of the CR-V? A lot of past CR-V owners were up in arms complaining and the CR-V's image was "tarnished". Even though it was "tarnished" the "AUV" CR-V sold very well even if it was the most expensive "AUV" in the market. A lot of members in the know would say that the "AUV" CR-V isn't a true AUV but that's the classification it fell under. What's an image conscious Filipino on a budget to do? Of course buy a Honda AUV!

It could also be that Honda makes good & dependable cars that top car magazine benchmarks. I did a comparo recently between all 1.6L engine econoboxes and I've noticed that the Civic had the highest pferdestarke among all 1.6L cars while the Altis had the highest newton meter of any 1.6L car. I also did a comparo among the japanese V6 sedans and it came out that the Accord was the best compromise between torque and output.

Here's a question I hope anyone here would answer truthfully. Would you go out of your house without bathing, combing your hair, brushing your teeth or changing your clothes? What do you think of people who do look like they didnt do anything I mentioned above?
    Last edited by OTO; May 26th, 2005 at 12:02 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Why do people hate it when their car model is used as taxi