New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so...how do you distinguish if nayayabangan ka sa isang tao, o inaatake ka lang ng inggit o crab mentality?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Just to inject some useless definition... I purposely stayed away from the Starbucks thread. Do not take this seriously.

Sosi - knows the difference between Asti Spumante and Krug.
    Pa-Sosi - orders champagne even though she doesn't really like it.
    Mayabang - says out loud, "give me the most expensive bottle you've got."

Sosi - her Dad takes her to Prince Albert Rotisserie on her birthday. Cheval Blanc on other special occassions.
    Pa-Sosi - Asks her boyfriend to take her to Cheval Blanc para ma-try naman niya.
    Mayabang - Goes to Cheval Blanc on the first date to "impress".

Sosi - is mentioned by Maurice Arcache as an attendee in some posh party.
    Pa-Sosi - Tried to attend the party so that she will be mentioned by Maurice Arcache.
    Mayabang - Flaunts to have attended such parties.

Sosi - treats the help with dignity.
    Pa-Sosi - treats the help as help.
    Mayabang - treats the help like dirt.

Sosi - shops on Mondays to avoid the crowds.
    Pa-Sosi - shops on weekends so that she can be seen in the high-end shops.
    Mayabang - shops, then tells his friends/acquaintances how much he spent on this and that. Like people care...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OiC65 View Post
    e yung mga pa-englis englis na trying hard sa public? pa-sossy din ba to?
    In the Philippines? Ummm, I'd say yes unless it's company policy or you're in a group learning english.

When I visit there in next year, I'd do as I did before...... Keep my mouth shut. But, by that time, I think I'll remember enough tagalog to get by. Thanks to a freeware Tagalog-English translator. Or, just let my wife do all the talking.

The latter's probably best. My wife says if I open my mouth, she can't do "tawad" with vendors because they'll know I'm from out of town.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    so...how do you distinguish if nayayabangan ka sa isang tao, o inaatake ka lang ng inggit o crab mentality?

I think they're all the same since they all pertain to the same person. It's either you're image-conscious or you're not, unlike the original thread's terms.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by M54 Powered View Post
    imho, inaatake ka lang ng inggit if you are secretly wishing you were him

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by metatron View Post
    sosi - has ipod. privately listens to tunes while watching sunset atop private hillside/beachfront retreat.

pa-sosi - has ipod. goes to mall wearing the device like a dogtag.

mayabang - walang ipod. bumili ng ipod earphone look-alike. pinagmamalaki sa iba na maganda talaga ang tugtog pag ipod ang player at hindi mumurahing mp3 player lang.

Bulls-eye! Cheap iPod lookalike FTW!

OT: Pangit naman nung stock iPod earphones eh. It sounds just like any ordinary earphone set, but isn't nearly as durable as the usual generic stuff. Or maybe it's just my cousins and their... ah, shall we say... heavy use of electronic equipment. I personally prefer those insert-type phones over the normal earbuds, kahit yung mumurahing klase lang.

OnT: It's not really just the clothes, the car keys, the gadgets, and the English. It's the attitude.

Sosy: Doesn't care if they're seen with all the stuff or not. They would have them anyway. Natural na, ika nga.
    Pa-sosy: Tries to be seen with the "stuff".
    Mayabang: May or may not have the stuff, but they'll brag about it anyway (usually about how expensive they got it, or the fact that that they're the only one in their group who has it.).

Example, relating to cars:

Sosy: Gets driven around in a Rolls Royce - when there's no helipad where he's going.
    Pa-sosy: Borrows a friend's BMW for a date - even when he's got a perfectly good Toyota to drive around.
    Mayabang: Logs into an Internet forum claiming to have "three years worth of savings" to spend on a Lamborghini and asks how much it would cost to import one into the Philippines. Shortly after, however, he'd be busted by saying something weird like some moronic trying-hard wigga/"fligga" sort of "thank you".

(Obviously, if you're rich enough to buy/import a Ferrari or Lamborghini, you either know how much it would cost you or you just wouldn't care.)
    Last edited by Alpha_One; March 3rd, 2007 at 09:08 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    OnT: It's not really just the clothes, the car keys, the gadgets, and the English. It's the attitude.

Sosy: Doesn't care if he's seen with all the stuff or not. He would have them anyway.
    Pa-sosy: Tries to be seen with the "stuff".
    Mayabang: May or may not have the stuff, but they'll brag about it anyway (usually about how expensive they got it).
    Yup. It's mainly attitude and perception. Whether it's "sosy" or not depends with the place and standards of living. What if a new Pinoy arrives here and sees all these kids with all manner of gadgets? Or cars.... some of these kids only have a permit and they're already driving fast cars like the SRT-4. Is the newcomer Pinoy still going to have the same attitude? Probably not unless maybe it was another Pinoy..... THAT would delve into the crab mentality part.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Yup. It's mainly attitude and perception. Whether it's "sosy" or not depends with the place and standards of living. What if a new Pinoy arrives here and sees all these kids with all manner of gadgets? Or cars.... some of these kids only have a permit and they're already driving fast cars like the SRT-4. Is the newcomer Pinoy still going to have the same attitude? Probably not unless maybe it was another Pinoy..... THAT would delve into the crab mentality part.
    True, it depends where you are. If you live in a place where all the gadgets and sh** are standard issue, you're no longer as "sosy" because the gadgets are nothing special anymore. Being sosy is about being special, right?

Nice observation on Pinoy jealous with Pinoy thing. tsupermario pretty much got it right...

Quote Originally Posted by tsupermario View Post
    imho, inaatake ka lang ng inggit if you are secretly wishing you were him
    My theory is that Pinoys envy Pinoys because it's much easier for someone to project himself onto someone "just like him".

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    hahaha. nde ko lam kung anong definition..pero ang alam ko mayabang lang ako. :lol:

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    It's a good thing this is coming out on the open rather than letting it simmer inside. I've always felt there are serious social issues in the Philippines, especially the disconnect between rich and poor. The first step to solving it is acknowledging the problem. Then hopefully someday, it'll be solved.

My whole attitude on the issue is there's always someone richer, more fortunate, better-looking, and more skillful than me no matter what. It's best to just do my best and not worry about how I compare to others.

Add: Looks like we lost Starbucks somewhere again.... Ooops. That was the other thread. My bad.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; March 3rd, 2007 at 09:35 AM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
What's the difference between sosi, pa sosi and mayabang?