New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Good day,

Dear tsikoters - i know that some people here are good at Techies, does anyone know if this is a good model or a good buy for $1,250.00? Do you have an idea if how much is selling price of this model, approximate or exact price there in manila?

Here are the specs:
    Toshiba Satellite M105-S3004

Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology featuring:
    • Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2300
    o 1.66GHz, 2MB L2, 667MHz FSB
    • Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset
    • Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
    Memory5
    • Configured with 1024MB DDR2 SDRAM (both memory slots may
    be occupied)
    • 256MB (Min)/4096MB (Max), 512MB in service-accessible memory
    slot plus one available user-accessible memory slot for 256MB,
    512MB, 1024MB, or 2048MB PC4200 DDR2 533MHz SDRAM or
    PC5300 DDR2 677MHz SDRAM, dual-channel support requires
    two memory modules of same capacity and clockspeed
    Hard Disk Drive6
    • 100GB (5400 RPM) Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive; 9.5mm
    height
    Fixed Optical Disk Drive7
    • DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive supporting 11 formats
    o Maximum speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x:read),
    CD-R (24x:write), CD-RW (10x:write), DVD-ROM
    (8x:read), DVD-R (Single Layer, 8x:write), DVD-R
    (Double Layer, 2x: write), DVD-RW (4x:write), DVD+R
    (Single Layer, 8x:write), DVD+R (Double Layer,
    2.4x:write), DVD+RW (4x:write), DVD-RAM (5x:write)
    Display8
    • 14.1” diagonal widescreen TruBrite™ TFT active-matrix LCD
    display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
    Graphics9
    • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-128MB dynamically
    allocated shared graphics memory
    Sound
    • Built-in harman/kardon® stereo speakers
    • Realtek ALC861 16-bit stereo software sound
    o Supports 3D Sound, Direct 3D Sound, DirectSound,
    Direct Music, MIDI (playback), Intel High Definition Audio
    • Data
    o i.LINK(tm) IEEE-1394
    o Universal Serial Bus (USB v2.0) – 4 ports
    o RJ-45 LAN port
    o RJ-11 modem port
    • Dimensions (WxDxH Front/H Rear): 13.5” (343.0mm) x 9.53”
    (242.0mm) x 1.50” (38.0mm)
    • Weight: Starting at 5.42 lbs (2.46 kg) depending upon
    configuration1
    Operating System: WinXP MCE

Sorry po kung kinopya ko na lahat ng specs... any suggestions for other brands also. Thanks again.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    May equivalent model ang Compaq. Ang alam ko mas mura. Ganoon din ang Acer.
    Yung Toshiba equivalent ng Compaq Presario ko ay mas mahal noon ng PHP 15,000.00.
    Ewan ko na lang ngayon dahil tumaas ang VAT.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Get as much as ram as you can afford. That shared video ram will come from your system ram. Hence, 512mb ram isn't really 512mb. Physically it is. But a portion is being used for graphics memory leaving available ram at less than 512mb.

I'm not a fan of shared video memory.But, if you don't plan to do any serious gaming on it and don't mind the occasional desktop sluggishness, then that laptop's fine.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    The main question here what do you intend to use it for? If you'll just be surfing, typing, simple photo editing. Then you don't even need to go duo core. But if you think you need duo core, I suggest looking into APPLE Macbooks. $1099, you can run OS X, Windows and Linux, all in one machine. Event the core of the Macbook is faster than the Toshiba model you posted.

My pet peeve, laptops are not meant for gaming (unless specified-alienware), so don't expect these machines to be your game consoles.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtin
    My pet peeve, laptops are not meant for gaming (unless specified-alienware), so don't expect these machines to be your game consoles.
    That depends. The very first Alienware laptop was virtually identical to a later version of my wife's Sager laptop except the Alienware had a green paintjob and cost $500 more.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmtin
    The main question here what do you intend to use it for? If you'll just be surfing, typing, simple photo editing. Then you don't even need to go duo core. But if you think you need duo core, I suggest looking into APPLE Macbooks. $1099, you can run OS X, Windows and Linux, all in one machine. Event the core of the Macbook is faster than the Toshiba model you posted.

Yes. only typing, surfing and photoediting. Maybe games of the generals lang or battle realms. I checked the requirements for this games and even dito sa luma kung laptop, ok naman ang takbo ng mga games na ito.

Somebody has an idea of the selling price of this unit in the Phils? thanks...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    that price is just about right considering all the specs. i had a 1yr old toshiba satellite series too and it cost that much back then but had a little lower specs than yours, and not yet core duo.

i guess you know about core duo and what it does. but here's my experience. my toshiba is 1.73ghz pentium M, my dad has a new dell w/ 1.6Ghz core duo. i feel mine is faster, pero i think pag multiple processes are running na like running a viruscan while photoediting, eh dun lalamang ang core duo, but i have never tried to ran them thru the same tests. but i'll advise you to get at least the 1.74ghz Duo rather than a 1.6 kasi lowend ata yung 1.6 sa duo series eh.

the great thing about toshiba is the trubrite screen! it beats dells own version of trubrite and hp and others. i compared them all before i got mine. sony's vaio is the only one that compares but you have to pay a premium for the name.

anyway, y dont u get the 15.4 widescreen? you'll love it!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    • 256MB (Min)/4096MB (Max), 512MB in service-accessible memory

Get RAM higher than 512MB. Mine got 512MB and is not enough.
    Most of the time I use my computer for normal job requirements (engineering).
    No movies, no games and very few photo-editing.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G3NIU5
    Thanks for your comments. Im used to 12"s, so i think its gonna be a lot bigger if im going to get 15"s, the A series right? Im still new for these 15"s and 17"s. I'll do a lot of travel thats why i want to keep it small as possible but not to compromise dvd viewing and sometimes games.

Is the difference between 14.1" against 15.4" noticeable a lot? whew... Honestly its just on my cart i was about to finalize the order. Ok, i'll think about that.

Thanks again.

Wait, any suggestions for games thats good for this setup? Para maisama ko na sa order. Hehehehe!

10. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by G3NIU5
    Thanks for your comments. Im used to 12"s, so i think its gonna be a lot bigger if im going to get 15"s, the A series right? Im still new for these 15"s and 17"s. I'll do a lot of travel thats why i want to keep it small as possible but not to compromise dvd viewing and sometimes games.

Is the difference between 14.1" against 15.4" noticeable a lot? whew... Honestly its just on my cart i was about to finalize the order. Ok, i'll think about that.

Thanks again.

Wait, any suggestions for games thats good for this setup? Para maisama ko na sa order. Hehehehe!

Nestordreamin: its 1GHZ RAM.. already. sorry if i mislead you on my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Toshiba Satellite M105-S3004