1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    sorry about that pareng dennis..opo will follow your advise na

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    condolence sir....

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Truly sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept our condolences.

I found this bit of info online:

http://www.tetanus.org/?utm_source=g...mpaign=Sponsor

Welcome to Tetanus.org!

WHAT IS TETANUS?

• Tetanus is a serious disease that is caused by bacteria found in dust, soil, and manure1
    • Tetanus enters the body through many kinds of wounds—from a pinprick to a deep wound1
    • The bacteria live all over the world1
    • Tetanus is commonly called “lockjaw” since it can cause stiffness in the jaw muscles1

WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS?

• Symptoms may include1:
    – Headache
    – Stiffness of the jaw (lockjaw)
    – Severe muscle spasms
    – Sweating
    – Fever
    – Stiffness of abdominal muscles
    – Difficulty swallowing
    • Lockjaw is one of the most dangerous symptoms because it can lead to death by suffocation1
    • Symptoms usually begin about 8 days after infection, but may range in onset from 3 days to 3 weeks1

HOW IS TETANUS TREATED?

• Treatment for tetanus may include medications, surgery, and bed rest2
    • Even if a person recovers from tetanus, a tetanus shot is needed to ensure he or she doesn’t get it again1

Clostridium tetani (tetanus)

Courtesy of The Centers for Disease
    Control and Prevention

Tetanus spasms

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    condolences......

dito sa amin may karatula ng "Adult Vaccination". recommended po ba mag-pavaccinate ulit? nawawala ba ang immunity ng isang taong habang tumatagal? sana may makasagot.

nakakagulat, ang akala ko wiped out na yang tetanus na yan at simpleng gamutang lang yan. naalala ko pinanakot pa sa amin ng lola ko yan.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    This is so sad to hear. Kala ko pa baby na hindi pa nabibigyan ng vaccine.

OT: Doctors in the house, is this vaccine something that should be "renewed" every x years? Or pag nasugatan lang talaga?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing View Post
    This is so sad to hear. Kala ko pa baby na hindi pa nabibigyan ng vaccine.

OT: Doctors in the house, is this vaccine something that should be "renewed" every x years? Or pag nasugatan lang talaga?
    yes, tetanus immunization requires booster shots every 10 years (if you were able to complete the primary vaccination which is usually given in childhood). notwithstanding the immunization, it is still a good idea to get the toxoid kapag may dirty wound ka.

fyi: mas mataas ang incidence ng tetanus infection sa soil contaminated wound kaysa sa metal/rusted metal contact. (significance: wag ipagwalang-bahala ang mga sugat sa putikan.)

re: adult immunization - yes, this is always a good idea. incidentally, the new strain of flu vaccine has just been released in case interested kayo. as you guys must know, every year, nagbabago-bago ang strain ng flu vaccine kaya dapat updated din tayo sa immunization.

lastly, lumabas na din ang hpv vaccine, one of the best ways to guard our women from the ravages of cervical cancer. i suggest magpa-vaccinate na din kayo.

incidentally, just in case people start wondering (again) if i am in the medical field (like in that other thread), yes, i am a practicing physician. my wife is likewise a practicing physician with subspecialty training in infectious diseases. she likewise had further training in infectious diseases in the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta and in the Mayo Clinic in Rochester.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lumabas na din ang hpv vaccine, one of the best ways to guard our women from the ravages of cervical cancer. i suggest magpa-vaccinate na din kayo.
    Di ba HPV vaccine is for those ladies who haven't had ***ual intercourse yet? Especially the teens?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Di ba HPV vaccine is for those ladies who haven't had ***ual intercourse yet? Especially the teens?
    Why is the HPV vaccine only recommended for girls/women ages 9 to 26?
    The vaccine has been widely tested in 9-to-26 year-old girls/women. But research on the vaccine’s safety and efficacy has only recently begun with women older than 26 years of age. The FDA will consider licensing the vaccine for these women when there is research to show that it is safe and effective for them.

http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/STDFact-HPV-vaccine.htm

regardless of the FDA restriction, there are some local OB's who are willing to administer the vaccine to >26 y/o patients.

add: my condolences to dennis powell

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Condolence. He'll rest in peace.

At least, with his death and your mourning, you opened this thread and started the awareness against this killer bacteria. I never thought tetanus was this serious. I just hear it all the time whenever a wound is found and treated.

Everything happens for a reason, that's for sure.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    my condolences bro.. sorry to here that.
    thanks for the warning.. ganyan pa naman ako, pinapabayaan lang pag nagkasugat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
tetanus killer disease