New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I never had a problem with my Sea Gate Barracuda.. I'll been using it for the last 6years.. I had one before but that was factory defect.. the shop changed it with a new one.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    dunno about the 5 year warranty. pagkakaalam ko samsung is the only one offering a 3 year warranty on their drives. shops are hesitant in selling them because of that

3. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing
    My Seagate HD (40Gig Barracuba ATA) just died on me this morning after a little over 3 years of service... is this normal for a seagate? I'm hoping that it would last me at least 5 years. I partitioned it a couple of times, could this be the cause of its shortened lifespan? It was used before as my datadisk, after my Western Digital broke down I used this as my system disk.

Fellow Seagate users, please share your experience.
    Companies often publish their defect rates per million units sold to measure their product reliability. Which means if your disk crashed on you out of 6 million disks they sold that are still running until now, then I say it's a very reliable product.

As an analogy, 6 plane crashes in a year could have killed 2,000 people. But take into account the hundreds and thousands of take-offs and landings on that same year that ferried millions of passengers, you can conclude that riding an airplane is more safe than riding a car.

Bottomline: You got the unlucky random defect on your Seagate.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    ILD, baka bumigay ang HD dahil sa mga peechures? :hihihi:

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    medyo premature ang pagkasira nyan.. i've been using Seagate eversince... had the same drive Seagate Barracuda 40G on a P3, running 10 hrs/day everyday since 2001 pa... yung isa naman 60G on a P4 since 2003..

meron pa akong 1.2G on my 1st pc, 98-99 pa yata yun pero buhay pa din...

6. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    na tsempuhan mo lang na may slight defect siguro yung seagate mo, usually matibay talaga yan

7. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    We have 3 computers at home, the hard disc my dad currently uses came from my old pc, its a Seagate 28.5gb 7200rpm drive, started use in November 1999. Up to now it is still working perfectly, no bad sectors.

Then around 2 years ago I purchased another seagate drive, this time 80gb 7200rpm, the drive failed after 3 mos., complete failure. It was eventually replaced with a new drive, same specs that developed bad sectors after over a year, however right now it does not show any bad sectors anymore.

I also have a Maxtor 40gb 5400rpm drive, 3 years old, it has problems every now and then, sometimes it would just crash and wont be detected by the BIOS, then sometimes it would work again.

I guess its really hard to say which brand is better. Next time I'm buying a disc it would probably be a Western Digital though.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    4 out of the 10 Seagate Barracuda's (7200rpm, 10GB) I have developed bad sectors after 3 years...yung isa lang ang di ko na maayos...mukhang normal na sa kanila iyan...now i shifted to Maxtor...wala pa naman problem after 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by ts1n1ta
    ILD, baka bumigay ang HD dahil sa mga peechures?
    Dati tong data disk na ginawa kong system disk :twak: wala ng pictures or videos, thats why I always separate my data and system disk for cases like these. yung mga pictures and vids linipat ko na sa 80 gig HD sana tumagal na to.

By the way Western Digital has a 5 year Manufacturers warranty, di ko pa napapaayos, an layo kasi ng office nila.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    same here, no issues with seagates. our oldest one is 7 years na and still doing okay.

western digital HDDs (for dell systems anyway) have the annoying tendency to fail way quickly. gah.
    Last edited by nugundam93; September 1st, 2005 at 01:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Seagate Users