New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    So my 2yo eyeglass frame broke, right at the rim. Luckily i had a backup pair made.

Advisable bang mag flexible titanium? What's a good brand? i've seen some in Quiapo, but i'm suspicious about the price/quality.

Medyo mataas ang grado ko, so even with multi-layered lens, i have to get the beefier frames para kumapit sa lens.

Is there a military/tactical grade version of eyeframes? Most of what i see are basically bullet-proof sunglasses.

Lastly, yes, i am considering Lasik, but maybe a few more years down the road. i have a feeling i'll still wear glasses post-surgery ^_^

tia

2. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    So my 2yo eyeglass frame broke, right at the rim. Luckily i had a backup pair made.

Advisable bang mag flexible titanium? What's a good brand? i've seen some in Quiapo, but i'm suspicious about the price/quality.

Medyo mataas ang grado ko, so even with multi-layered lens, i have to get the beefier frames para kumapit sa lens.

Is there a military/tactical grade version of eyeframes? Most of what i see are basically bullet-proof sunglasses.

Lastly, yes, i am considering Lasik, but maybe a few more years down the road. i have a feeling i'll still wear glasses post-surgery ^_^

tia

My Oakley wiretap rx lasted 5years...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    did it break because of wear and tear (old age)? did it break because of metal fatigue? na-bundol?
    my titanium frames are still alive and use-able, after 19 years. medyo laspag na ang plating and plastic accessories. but the frame is still good.

yung sports goggles na pina-uso nina marlou at wilt.
    goggles more than eyeglasses.
    but, they do look a bit funny worn on the street or office.

meron dati, yari sa carbon fiber yata.. you can pretzel it and it springs back to shape.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 17th, 2016 at 02:11 AM.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    did it break because of wear and tear (old age)? did it break because of metal fatigue? na-bundol?
    my titanium frames are still alive and use-able, after 19 years. medyo laspag na ang plating and plastic accessories. but the frame is still good.

yung sports goggles na pina-uso nina marlou at wilt.
    goggles more than eyeglasses.
    but, they do look a bit funny worn on the street or office.

meron dati, yari sa carbon fiber yata.. you can pretzel it and it springs back to shape.
    If youre reffering to mine sir, yes from metal fatigue, i used/abused it in multi-sports, mtb, shooting and weightlifting, i replaced the rubber parts every year, it was falling apart. After that i replaced it with rudy project, didnt last a year

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I have a different problem... I keep losing mine before they're even broken. ;)

I don't think we have eyeglass insurance here like in the States, do we?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

i have kakilala. bili siya ng reading glasses sa divisoria by the dozen. she keeps losing them left and right.

bili po kayo ng eyeglass tali. sabit sa leeg kapag hindi nasa ilong..
    or, you might go to a government hospital and look for the ophtha dept. there might be an optical branch there, selling at rock-bottom prices for the masses consulting there. i happened to go once, and at their price, i ordered two sets at once. not gucci-esque, but certainly use-able.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 17th, 2016 at 10:59 AM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

same here..... problem naman sa akin is i use two glasses. one for distance and one for reading. dont like the progressive type and the bifocal types eh... so sa akin, its either i lose the distance or i lose the reading before they are broken.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    20/20 pa tayo sa long range and 1.25 for reading . i have cheap from suking optical shop for office and bahay and currently RB wayfarer frame pang lakwatsa.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i have kakilala. bili siya ng reading glasses sa divisoria by the dozen. she keeps losing them left and right.

bili po kayo ng eyeglass tali. sabit sa leeg kapag hindi nasa ilong..
    or, you might go to a government hospital and look for the ophtha dept. there might be an optical branch there, selling at rock-bottom prices for the masses consulting there. i happened to go once, and at their price, i ordered two sets at once. not gucci-esque, but certainly use-able.
    It's the lenses that are expensive. My lenses alone costs a little over 8k.. and that's not even the TOTL. The necklace thing naman is too old-school for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    same here..... problem naman sa akin is i use two glasses. one for distance and one for reading. dont like the progressive type and the bifocal types eh... so sa akin, its either i lose the distance or i lose the reading before they are broken.
    My lenses are progressive + Transitions + multicoated. The progressive grading takes some getting used to but after a few days to a couple of weeks, muscle memory takes over and focusing on things, near or far, will just be down to reflex. If you opt for one, don't get the cheapest/the entry-level progressive lenses. These lenses have a very narrow usable 'viewing window'. More expensive ones have wider usable lens area so you wouldn't have to pan your head left and right too often to focus on something.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's the lenses that are expensive. My lenses alone costs a little over 8k.. and that's not even the TOTL. The necklace thing naman is too old-school for me.

My lenses are progressive + Transitions + multicoated. The progressive grading takes some getting used to but after a few days to a couple of weeks, muscle memory takes over and focusing on things, near or far, will just be down to reflex. If you opt for one, don't get the cheapest/the entry-level progressive lenses. These lenses have a very narrow usable 'viewing window'. More expensive ones have wider usable lens area so you wouldn't have to pan your head left and right too often to focus on something.
    one question though on the progressive. while you are getting used to it, did it gave you headaches?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast