New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yup, Plasma is still very much around. It also has clearer video when watching cable TVs. If your primary use for the TV will be for watching movies and cable TV, then Plasma is the way to go.
    If you'll use it to play video games or hook it to your PC, then get a LCD TV.

I'm now shopping for a 50+" Plasma TV for my room. I have a 42" Panasonic Full HD LCD TV in my office hooked up to my PC as my 2nd monitor for watching downloaded movies and sometimes for internet surfing when I have guests in my office.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    LCD and LED illuminated LCDs are most common in the market but that does not make it totally superior to Plasma. Each side has its pro and cons. Best to pick what is best for the intended purpose.

Plasma still delivers better price to performance ratio. Meaning you can buy a bigger screen plasma compared to a smaller LCD for the same price. Plasma has better and deeper blacks, which is valuable for watching blu rays.

LCDs are great for rooms that you cannot control the light. As for those LED illuminated LCDs, try looking for one that really utilizes LED for the entire screen. Some manufacturers mix LED with flourescent to cut cost.

As of this moment, it seems an LCD or LED illuminated LCD might not be able hold its own candle when comparing viewing HD materials vs. a Pioneer Kuro (9th generation panel). This is most evident with darker scenes of movies.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I thought LED LCD TVs finally catched up to plasmas (The RGB LED types (Sony) not Samsung's White LED)

Sony Hosts XBR8 LED LCD vs. Plasma Shootout (You'll Never Guess Who Wins)
    http://gizmodo.com/5013722/sony-host...guess-who-wins

One thing I don't like about Plasmas are burn-ins especially when playing videogames, the reason I chose an LCD. But for viewing HD movies, plasmas are perfect. I've seen the Kuro (means Black in Japanese ) and it's amazing. The very high entry price for Sony RGB LED LCD TVs doesn't help.

so as mentioned, if you're playing videogames and will be using the TV as a secondary monitor, go for an LCD TV. if for movies, plasma is the better choice.

There's also Mitsubishi's Laser TV at $6,999.
    http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/laser.html
    I haven't seen one in person.
    Last edited by Negus; December 7th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Sony has given up on its Triluminous RGB LED backlight panel for the more "economical" White LED Edge-Lit Samsung Panel...And Sony is still too expensive.

Proudly rocking the XBR10 nameplate, this is the latest Sony BRAVIA (peep the video from its Japanese launch), though the potential to be greatest is up for debate. These 52- and 42-inch models skip over the company's well received (but expensive) Triluminos LED technology for cheaper edge lit LEDs like Samsung. Sony is taking advantage of the tech's slim frames to include wireless HD streaming -- you'll be plugging set-top boxes, game consoles and other video sources into a separate media box, plugging in anything other than AC would ruin the style. Still, it's hard to see many people deciding that wireless HD, Internet powered TV Guide, BRAVIA Engine 3 processing, Motionflow 240Hz, video streaming from Amazon, YouTube and Netflix and Sony's version of Yahoo! Widgets is enough to overcome a serious case of sticker shock. The KDL-52XBR10 and KDL-46XBR10 arrive in October with $5,000 and $4,500 MSRPs, respectively; over a thousand bucks north of comparable, wireless-less Samsung models featuring the same backlighting tech. That Sony brand and experience worth the difference to you?
    Plasma permanent burn-in is a thing of the past. There is still temporary image-retention when you turn off the set similat to CRT screen...

The HD Guru tries to burn-in a plasma, but fails

We've been telling people for years that burn-in just isn't a problem on modern plasmas, but honestly we haven't ever tried to put are money where are mouth is. Gary Merson doesn't mind trying though -- since it's not like he has to pay for the HDTVs he reviews -- and although he found that freeze framing an image for 10 hours straight failed to burn-in on the 2008 and 2009 plasma models he tried, he's confident that if he put a full white 100 IRE square up on the center of a plasma, with the user mode set to Vivid and contrast maxed out, that after a number of days there would be some signs of burn-in -- so yeah, kind of like testing a water proof watch by throwing it into an abyss. Now of course this doesn't change the fact that everyone believes that burn-in is a problem and that the brightest TV is the best TV, we're just saying.
    http://hd.engadget.com/2009/12/03/th...sma-but-fails/
    Last edited by Monseratto; December 7th, 2009 at 10:17 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Burn-ins and image retentions (IR) that were prevalent in the early Plasma displays are now a thing of the past. The Plasma displays being sold now are into their 11th or 12th generation already.

My son is playing Wii in our 42" Plasma TV for almost 2 yrs already, no IR whatsoever.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    hmmm, time for the TS to buy a plasma then.

he hasn't mentioned his budget tho.
    Last edited by Negus; December 8th, 2009 at 12:18 AM.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Burn-ins and image retentions (IR) that were prevalent in the early Plasma displays are now a thing of the past. The Plasma displays being sold now are into their 11th or 12th generation already.

My son is playing Wii in our 42" Plasma TV for almost 2 yrs already, no IR whatsoever.
    Is that a Panasonic brand?
    We are thinking of either a 42" or a 50".

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by james00112233 View Post
    Is that a Panasonic brand?
    We are thinking of either a 42" or a 50".
    Panasonic 42PV70

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Plasma TV (Good brand name)