New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Has anyone seen this?

http://www.clearlycultural.com/geert...istance-index/

It compares other cultures and attitudes and it seems that sometimes we may be saying "sir" and "ma'm" too much for our own good. There is some merit in reducing subordinate behavior it seems.

Ever since I returned to the Phils it seems more prevalent this calling of "sir" and "ma'm" is that not good?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Has anyone seen this?

http://www.clearlycultural.com/geert...istance-index/
    It compares other cultures and attitudes and it seems that sometimes we may be saying "sir" and "ma'm" too much for our own good. There is some merit in reducing subordinate behavior it seems.

Ever since I returned to the Phils it seems more prevalent this calling of "sir" and "ma'm" is that not good?
    I "sir" and "ma'm" out of etiquette. But, if some a**hole decides to abuse my respect and hospitality, I'm not beyond saying, "F Y MF-er!" and showing the bird.

In the past, I've also responded with, "Don't sir me. I'm a pee-on just like you". Of course, I said it with authority.

I think the Japanese are even more subservient than Pinoys. I almost felt embarrassed at the helpfulness they showed me during my trips to Japan last year. "Hai, Hai, bow their head. Hai, Hai, bow their head" I couldn't help but smile with respect.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 6th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    imo, its not really pinoy being subservient (lalim nito ah!) its just that we are brought up with a culture that is respectful to authorities or even just being respectful to others.

its a culture that the new generation now are slowly hanging loose, it is important for me to honor an give respect not just to elders, to a higher authority but also to family members, to friends and even to a kind stranger.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Probably. 300 years of Spanish rule will probably ingrained it hard...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I think it's also partly because of the hacienda mentality...

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Sa loob ata ng Jollibee tawagan ng lahat ng employees sa isat isa ser and mam. Pati the owner himself calls the lowliest crew sir and mam, and of course vice versa..

Are Pinoys too subservient for their own good?