New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Pinay traumatized by horror trip to US

MANILA - A Filipina's trip to the United States to attend the wedding of her daughter turned into a nightmare after she was harassed, insulted, and deported by American immigration authorities.

Carina Yonzon Grande, in a statement to ABS-CBNNews.com, recalled her harrowing experience at the hands of US Immigration officers at the Seattle International Airport on October 1.

Grande was traveling with complete valid documents -- a passport with a 10-year US visa valid until 2017, round trip plane tickets, and even shuttle vouchers.

The 63-year-old, who used to work for the Asian Development Bank, is well traveled and has been to Italy, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Vanuatu, Fiji, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Uzbekistan, Pakistan, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore.

It was her 13th time to visit the US.

She said, upon reaching the immigration area, she noticed a group of immigration police officers directing people to where they should line up.

"I also observed police officers questioning, in a very loud voice, the visitors about why they chose to travel to the US for their vacation, the purpose of their visit, and even the amount of money they have for this trip, which I found simply absurd!" Grande said.

"When it was my time to present myself to the immigration officer, he asked me the usual questions i.e. purpose of travel and length of stay. I gave him an honest answer: that the purpose of my travel to the US was to visit my grandson Joshua at Everett and also to attend my daughter's wedding on October 26 in L.A., and that I was staying for two months," she added.

She said the immigration officer looked at her passport and saw Grande had visited the US many times in the past.

"I confirmed by saying yes, since the family could afford it," she added.

Held for 6 hours without food, water

Her nightmare began when the immigration officer told her to go to a room where people were being held for more questioning.

Grande said she was confined in the small room for 6 hours.

"Questions about the purpose of my visit to the US were asked repeatedly by Officer Keavid Mam (in a very arrogant manner). He then asked if I have relatives in the US, which I answered in the affirmative. I was asked to give names and corresponding contact numbers. I gave the details of my daughter Steph and my grandson Josh, 21 years old. I was asked for more names, so I gave the name and number of my Aunt Nerissa, who is nearly 90 years old and the sister of my late Mother. More names and numbers could have been provided to them had they allowed me to call my daughter Steph but I was not allowed to make phone calls. They took my celfone. Every time they placed a call to my aunt, my grandson Joshua and daughter Steph, they shut the door so I would not hear their conversations with my relatives," she said.

The immigration officer then returned to the room and accused Grande of being a liar. He claimed that he talked to her aunt, who allegedly told him that Grande will take care of her as a caregiver.

She said the immigration officer's allegations are not true because her aunt didn't even know she was arriving in the US.

"While Officer Mam kept on repeating his questions about why I was in the US, a fellow officer by the name of Chang, joined and shouted, calling me a liar. He even searched my purse where I had wedding cards (with money) for my daughter and future son-in-law, and a birthday card for Joshua (also with money) and other stuff. He scattered all the items in my purse on the table, asking why they should believe me, when my aunt, according to him, seems to be the honest one," Grande said.

'Who is she, a TNT?'

"While doing this, another officer passed and shouted 'Who is she, a TNT?'" she said.

"I was already shaking, very tired, exhausted, and weak. I had not eaten because of this interrogation," she added.

Their supervisor, a certain Mr. Caldwell, later joined the immigration officers and warned Grande that she will suffer the consequences if she didn't tell them what they wanted to hear.

"If I lie, they would have to arrest me and put me in jail. He even showed me the jail cell. I said, 'I am telling the truth, and that they can put me in jail because I will never ever admit doing the things I am wrongly being accused of.'"

Caldwell gave Grande two options: be deported to the Philippines on the next flight of the same day or be put in jail and barred from entering the US for 5 years.

"Exhausted, hungry, and sleep-deprived, I chose option one," Grande said. "It is disheartening that at my age, I didn’t receive any respect from these officials. I was treated like a criminal. I was not allowed to talk to my daughter and grandson and my celfone was taken away from me. Even after the interrogation concluded, they did not give it back to me."

"It pains me so much that I was mistreated like this. I have never been so humiliated and demeaned in my life! I am still hurting and hope other people will not suffer the extreme humiliation I recently experienced," she said.

Racist insults

Ken Shaw, the fiancé of Grande's daughter, supported her statement.

"She was cruelly interrogated for 6 hours after a 15-hour flight and held without food and water. Derogatory racial slang was hurled her way and she was shown and threatened with a jail cell. Her belongings were careless rifled through, wedding cards and gifts from relatives for the couple plainly visible throughout this process," Shaw said in a separate statement sent to ABS-CBNNews.com.

"She was repeatedly called a liar and laughed at by individuals who seemed to believe that they have an exclusive license on the truth and that tormenting an elderly woman, exhausted from a long flight, was all in a day’s good sport," he said.

Shaw said an immigration officer even mocked Grande's daughter on the telephone.

"An arrogant official promptly addressed her by her first name and cockily said, "Well hello, your mother is being deported."

"After piously stating their righteousness, the official ended the conversation with yet another smirk and additional smarmy commentary," Shaw added.

"I have tried a couple of times since then to get the full names of the individuals who handled my future mother-in-law’s case, but apparently they are special and do not need to disclose information to the American public," he said.

"My fiancée is now heart broken – not only for her mother having to miss her wedding but also for the cruel treatment she was forced to endure by the government of the country she now calls home," Shaw said.

Source: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-fi...horror-trip-us

Ano ba nakain nung mga seattle immigration officers? why the hate to asians?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    i call BS, i'm sure there's another side of this story. in the many times i traveled in the states and i agree yung ibang immigration officers medyo bastos talaga sa umpisa para na din siguro ma intimidate ka but di ka nila i-hohold basta basta for no reason. no hold na din ako a couple of times while i was under parole for my immigrant status usually 1 hour hold to check if my documents are legit, dami ko din nakaka sabay don na nahohold usually mga mexicans na walang visa pa pasok ng states pero madalas naman ginagawan talaga nila ng paraan para maka pasok pa din ng states. so i doubt na totoo yung story nung pinay na yan.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    i call BS, i'm sure there's another side of this story. in the many times i traveled in the states and i agree yung ibang immigration officers medyo bastos talaga sa umpisa para na din siguro ma intimidate ka but di ka nila i-hohold basta basta for no reason. no hold na din ako a couple of times while i was under parole for my immigrant status usually 1 hour hold to check if my documents are legit, dami ko din nakaka sabay don na nahohold usually mga mexicans na walang visa pa pasok ng states pero madalas naman ginagawan talaga nila ng paraan para maka pasok pa din ng states. so i doubt na totoo yung story nung pinay na yan.
    sa palagay mo sir ano talaga nangyari dyan?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    don't know there could be numbers of reasons why it happened.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    I, too would hold judgment until I hear the full story from both sides. It's natural that sometimes they would try and intimidate you to sort of ruffle you so they will know if you're giving them straight answers. But the rest of the story seems too much. Yun lang, there's the son-in-law to attest that at least some of them did happen. Anyway, let's wait further.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterx View Post
    I agree with this, kung wala talagang reason para i deport ka, wala talaga. there's more to this story. although I havent been hold for questioing in the US...

tingin ko ang nangyari dito eh ilan beses na niya na maxed out yun length of stay niya which is 6 months sa mga previous trips which is really a red flag, if you're a legit tourist ano gagawin mo ng 6 months kung every year or kahit every 2 years ka naman pumupunta.

tapos meron sigurong isa gn time na visit niya na inalagaan niya talaga yun aunt niya so yun ang sinabi ng aunt niya na aalgaan siya as caregiver or pwedeng itong visit niya yun talaga purpose niya after ng wedding ng anak niya.

but I'm going for the maxing out of her stay numerous times
    Last edited by shadow; October 8th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I agree with this, kung wala talagang reason para i deport ka, wala talaga. there's more to this story. although I havent been hold for questioing in the US...

tingin ko ang nangyari dito eh ilan beses na niya na maxed out yun length of stay niya which is 6 months sa mga previous trips which is really a red flag, if you're a legit tourist ano gagawin mo ng 6 months kung every year or kahit every 2 years ka naman pumupunta.

tapos meron sigurong isa gn time na visit niya na inalagaan niya talaga yun aunt niya so yun ang sinabi ng aunt niya na aalgaan siya as caregiver or pwedeng itong visit niya yun talaga purpose niya after ng wedding ng anak niya.

but I'm going for the maxing out of her stay numerous times
    this is a really big possibility kaya siya dineport. didn't think about it until you mentioned it, red flag nga din pala yan pag sinagad mo ang stay mo don every time ka pumupunta don.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Nangyayari talaga iyang dadalhin ka sa isang kuwarto at ii-interrogate...- isa naming kasamang Pinoy,- naganyan na rin pero sa SFO,- at pati nga mga pitaka mo ay bubuklatin lahat.... Natakot nga raw siya pero ni-release after 2 hours daw...

Malamang Seattle-Tacoma airport iyan... I've been through that airport siguro more than a dozen times (from Narita - stopover ng NW and now Delta), and also from SFO (interstate)

There were a couple of incidences I remember in that airport.

1. I brought some 30-40 small packs of dried mango - hinarang ako dahil nga commercial quantity. Tinanong ako kung bakit marami akong dala,- sabi ko sa kanila(in English siyempre), presents for our company colleagues; practice kako naming mga Pinoy; and I have a big appetite rin.. Lusot lang ako.

2. Hetong masaklap - papauwi na ako and exit ko ang Seattle. So ibinigay ko ang passport ko sa counter ng NW Airlines (pa noon) at ticket and they returned my passport and boarding pass. Naka-board na ako ng eroplano (business class pa)... May dumating na 2 siguro o 3 immigration o airline officers na hinahanap ako, dahil hindi ko raw isinauli ang aking i-94.... Ito iyong permit mo to stay in the US for a number of days depende sa ibibigay sa iyo ng immigration officer pagdating mo sa US,- normally, it is a piece of paper about 3x4nches na ini-stapler sa isang page ng passport. So, habang nakaupo ako sa business class pa - kaya nakakahiya talaga,- itong isang babae na obviously ay Filipina ay niraratratan ako at sinasabing bakit hindi ko raw ibinigay iyong i-94 at kung hindi raw nila nakita ay hindi na ako makakabalik sa amerika... Nuong matapos,- ibinigay ko ang passport ko sa kanila at nandoon nga ang i-94,- nakakabit pa... Sabi ko sa kanila (sa tono ng boses na naririnig din ng ibang pasahero),- responsibilidad nilang kunin sa counter ng NW ang i-94 at ilagay sa isang bin box at wala siyang karapatang ratratan ako sa loob ng eroplano. Hay naku.- umalis na lang at hindi na ako sinagot- mabuti naman dahil nagpanting na rin ang taynga ko... tangnanya.... Pag alis,- sabi nuong katabi kong babae,- "The (lady) officer was very very rude!" Apologetic din nga ang mga flight stewards... Hay naku,- alam din kasi nilang na bad-trip ako....

Mukhang tama si bro.shadow,- red flag nga iyan... Normally 3-6 months ang ibinibigay nila,- pero kami uwi rin kaagad, tama na ang 2-3 linggong bakasyon - mahal ang gastos... hahaha!

21.3K:loopy:
    Last edited by CVT; October 8th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Nangyayari talaga iyang dadalhin ka sa isang kuwarto at ii-interrogate...- isa naming kasamang Pinoy,- naganyan na rin pero sa SFO,- at pati nga mga pitaka mo ay bubuklatin lahat.... Natakot nga raw siya pero ni-release after 2 hours daw...

Malamang Seattle-Tacoma airport iyan... I've been through that airport siguro more than a dozen times (from Narita - stopover ng NW and now Delta), and also from SFO (interstate)

There were a couple of incidences I remember in that airport.

1. I brought some 30-40 small packs of dried mango - hinarang ako dahil nga commercial quantity. Tinanong ako kung bakit marami akong dala,- sabi ko sa kanila(in English siyempre), presents for our company colleagues; practice kako naming mga Pinoy; and I have a big appetite rin.. Lusot lang ako.

2. Hetong masaklap - papauwi na ako and exit ko ang Seattle. So ibinigay ko ang passport ko sa counter ng NW Airlines (pa noon) at ticket and they returned my passport and boarding pass. Naka-board na ako ng eroplano (business class pa)... May dumating na 2 siguro o 3 immigration o airline officers na hinahanap ako, dahil hindi ko raw isinauli ang aking i-94.... Ito iyong permit mo to stay in the US for a number of days depende sa ibibigay sa iyo ng immigration officer pagdating mo sa US,- normally, it is a piece of paper about 3x4nches na ini-stapler sa isang page ng passport. So, habang nakaupo ako sa business class pa - kaya nakakahiya talaga,- itong isang babae na obviously ay Filipina ay niraratratan ako at sinasabing bakit hindi ko raw ibinigay iyong i-94 at kung hindi raw nila nakita ay hindi na ako makakabalik sa amerika... Nuong matapos,- ibinigay ko ang passport ko sa kanila at nandoon nga ang i-94,- nakakabit pa... Sabi ko sa kanila (sa tono ng boses na naririnig din ng ibang pasahero),- responsibilidad nilang kunin sa counter ng NW ang i-94 at ilagay sa isang bin box at wala siyang karapatang ratratan ako sa loob ng eroplano. Hay naku.- umalis na lang at hindi na ako sinagot- mabuti naman dahil nagpanting na rin ang taynga ko... tangnanya.... Pag alis,- sabi nuong katabi kong babae,- "The (lady) officer was very very rude!" Apologetic din nga ang mga flight stewards... Hay naku,- alam din kasi nilang na bad-trip ako....

ang swerte mo nga bro, pinuntahan ka pa para kunin yun I-94 mo, yan ang pinaka importante na huwag mawala pag nag visit sa US, they could have let you go and ikaw ang mag suffer

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    ang swerte mo nga bro, pinuntahan ka pa para kunin yun I-94 mo, yan ang pinaka importante na huwag mawala pag nag visit sa US, they could have let you go and ikaw ang mag suffer
    Sabagay,- tama ka naman diyan bro.,- pero sa dami ng biyahe,- ngayon lang hindi ginawa ng counter sa akin iyan....siguro, sabon din sila kung nangyari iyon, dahil may proof ako ng return, pero hindi nawala sa US record ko.... Pero, after that, conscious na rin akong tignan...

Sana man lang medyo sinimplehan na lang akong kausapin... Nuon sigurong nakitang Pinoy rin ako,- nagkaroon ng superiority complex ang ale dahil doon siya nakatira....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast