New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Hi guys, hoping someone who has knowlege can give some advice or input regarding my problem.

I'm building a 2 storey house near Cubao, q.c. and almost near completion, I would say around 70%.

My electrical subcontractor handles all necessary paperwork regarding new meralco connection.

While submitting my house's electrical load requirement, Meralco says that my new house would overload the currently available transformers along our street.

Meralco wants me to shoulder the cost of a new post and transformer as my house is the reason for the upgrade.

My thinking is that as everyone along the street would benefit the new transformer, so meralco has no right to require me to shoulder everything.

Anyone else experienced this before? Inputs? Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    The price of monopoly, we swallow all the bs they feed us because we have no alternative option. Pwede kayang itanong sa DTI kung allowed ang practice na ito? Ibig sabihin kapag mahina water pressure sa isang area pwede rin sabihin ng Maynilad or Manila Water na bumili ang customer ng pump for their pumping station para bigyan ka ng service?

Sent from the Twilight Zone...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    that's not fair..
    they may ask you to shoulder the cost, if your house is in the middle of nowhere, where they do not have a current line.
    meralco periodically upgrades its transformers, to make up for increasing customer demand. you should not be asked to pay for the upgrade. baka naman sinasabi lang nila ito, dahil baka may kumagat..
    anyway, when you find out just how much ia poste and a transformer cost, baka mahimatay ka!

saaayyy... maybe you should fire your electrical subcontractor,...
    Last edited by dr. d; May 13th, 2014 at 01:42 AM.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    There is a requirement so that meralco can supply the xformer for free. Ask them and better have a space at gorund floor with certain width of driveway. Meco can supply it for free.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I have the same case, even worse. Renovated my place with added load as in 4X from original. My place is in total isolation as in mag isa lang sa area/vicinity. Yung pinagbilihan ko ng property had the electric meter installed 200 meters from the place cause that's where the last meralco post is located, so if i had more load, i need to change wire size plus the power lost out of the 200 meters distance. I have meralco add 4 post and add a transformer beside my property. Cost me 400K but i have no choice.

Then again, meralco will reimburse the cost once more user tap into the added line. Kung baga, you shoulder the initial cost then ibabalik nila over the years. Hey, do you have a choice?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    As the franchised distribution utility, meralco is mandated to provide you with reliable and stable electricity. Hindi ikaw dapat ang mag shoulder ng cost ng bagong poste at transformer dahil kasama ang mga eto sa babayaran mo (at ng taong bayan) as distribution charge. Yung mga ganyang expansion ay naka program na sa capex ng meralco at pina pa approve nila sa erc. Ang responsibility mo lang ay yung electrical requirements (wirings, breakers, etc.) magmula dun sa service drop hanggang sa loob ng bahay mo.

Iinsist mo na sila ang mag shoulder at kung hindi sila pumayag, sabihin mo na dadalhin mo sa erc.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Thank you to everyone who gave inputs.

As per Sir Andoy's advice, I called up ERC today regarding my situation. In summary, Meralco cannot require me to pay out a single centavo for new lines or facilities. Below is an excerpt from the Distribution Services and Open Access Rules (DSOAR) of the ERC.

MODIFICATIONS AND NEW PHYSICAL CONNECTIONS:
    RESIDENTIAL

RIGHT TO EXTENSION OF LINES AND FACILITIES
    In accordance with the Magna Carta, a residential End-user located within thirty (30) meters from the distribution utilities’ existing secondary low voltage lines has the right to an extension of lines or installation of additional facilities, other than a service drop, at the expense of the utility. However, if a prospective customer is beyond the said distance, the customer shall advance the amounts necessary to cover the expenditures on the facilities beyond thirty (30) meters.

Full document can be viewed at this link below for those interested:

https://www.doe.gov.ph/doe_files/pdf/Researchers_Downloable_Files/DownloadableFiles/DSOAR.pdf

Then I found an article featuring reporting on important amendments to the DSOAR 2 years ago with an excerpt below:

For one, ERC clarified that cost of installation or extension of lines and facilities that are included in the distribution utilities (DUs) capital expenditures program must be shouldered by the DUs.

“This is regardless of the location of the electricity consumer requesting line facilities in the DU’s franchise area,” ERC said.

“Electricity consumers, both residential and non-residential, will have their requests for lines and facilities acted upon accordingly, without any cash outlay, regardless of their location within the franchise area since the DU will shoulder the costs for as long as the project is viable,” Ducut said.

Prior to the amendments, the right to extension of lines and facilities for residential customers is limited within 30 meters from the DU’s secondary voltage lines and the excess thereof shall be advanced by customer to cover the expenditures.

Link to the news report below:

ERC amends rules on new connections for power users | Business, News, The Philippine Star | philstar.com

So I will try to use these documents to work it out with Meralco.

Update you guys if I have news.

Thanks!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang alam ko homeowners mag shoulder gn civil cost but everything else merlaco na

9. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ok na ang problem mo regarding cost burden.... now your next problem gaano katagal ikakabit yung transformer and lalagyan ka nang poste.

yung kapitbahay ko almost half a year na hindi pa nakakabitan nang transformer at bagong poste ayun sayang ang pera nila kasi hanggang ngayon hindi pa nila mapaupahan.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    “Electricity consumers, both residential and non-residential, will have their requests for lines and facilities acted upon accordingly, without any cash outlay, regardless of their location within the franchise area since the DU will shoulder the costs for as long as the project is viable,” Ducut said.
    yan ang magiging problema ng iba.

When we transferred office, I was also made to shoulder for the cost of the transformers. I was quoted 270K for everything. Namahalan ako kaya pinakausap ko sa isang friend ko na kaibigan ng utility owner (not meralco). The cost was brought down to 120K nalang. Although this amount will be refunded to me after a few years.
    Signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast